VOGONS

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the seller has more than one if any are interested. This is supposed to be the overclocked 3000 edition at 3500 (183MHz core/mem) with VGA out instead of the custom breakout box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

My question is will 1.07 install ok or will I need to find compaq's drivers? Also this *should* have 5.5ns ram.... Anyone getting good overclock out of these cards?

On a 3000 AGP I changed the crappy thermal adhesive out for AS5 and tested fine up to 190MHz so far with just a 80mm quiet fan along the side of it. Before it would only do about 180

Reply 2 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Yeah the pics show 5.5ns RAM which is rated for ~182 MHz. Neato. The 3500s were always annoying with that TV tuner junk that was forced down your throat.

I had to hunt down a special adapter (had to find out what the adapter was named and I can tell you, it was a quest of it's own! -_-), took me all the way to Australia, L O L!

But otoh, it is the fastest relatively cheap 3dfx card you can get, so it's not all bad 😜

Weren't there some 3500's out there that had 3000-like clocks btw?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure about down clocked 3500's but....

Falcon Northwest did release a Voodoo 3 3500SE card which had even faster clocks @ 200!! Basically cherry picked parts.
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/reviews … _se/index.shtml

Last week I forgot to bid on a 3500 missing the cable, no one else bid on it either, only like $9 shipped! Kicking myself over that. Find a cable would suck anyways and I have no need for the tuner part so figured these Compaq cards should rock once they get here.

(off topic)
I haven't tried to see how far my 3000 will go OC wise. It seems like any voodoo card that ISN'T a Voodoo 5 5500 does not scale as well with faster CPU's on older games. For example playing quake 2 at 1024x768x16 with my Voodoo 3 3000 AGP on a PIII 500 Katmai gets me about 74FPS. Moving to a PIII 1GHz nets me 76FPS!! Overclocking the 3000 to 190MHz gets me 88FPS.

Now I found a Large collection of old card Test over at falconfly.de http://havli-3dfx.ic.cz/benchmark-2-6.php

Using a Overclocked Athlon at 2.1GHz on a stock 3000 only gets 83.6FPS!! So for older games atleast on Quake 2 engine that fast CPU's are quite a waste.

This has me thinking an IDEAL glide retro rig of late 90's only needs 733 - 1GHz where others are killing themselves making them work on faster athlons and such!.
(/off topic)

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 13, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

This has me thinking an IDEAL glide retro rig of late 90's only needs 733 - 1GHz where others are killing themselves making them work on faster athlons and such!.
(/off topic)

...only if you are running V3 that is 😀 V5 is pretty much CPU limited up to ~3Ghz, with the PCI version getting limited even faster.

Reply 5 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, yep.

Anyone know any games that would make an exception? For the V3 that is.

I just installed a EPOX-3VSA2 (Via Pro133T) with a survived P3-S 1.4GHz with all the same hardware. Quake 2 1024x768x16 demo1.dm2 gets 77.1FPS, stock clocks on everything.

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The wiki mentioned that games stopped supporting Glide at the turn of the century, so when it comes to Glide, V3 should be enough (except for the early Glide games though, those might get a bit troublesome).

Voodoo 3 AGP is imo the best budget Glide rig card you can build, and I love budget, 🤣!

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
Well the seller has more than one if any are interested. This is supposed to be the overclocked 3000 edition at 3500 (183MHz cor […]
Show full quote

Well the seller has more than one if any are interested. This is supposed to be the overclocked 3000 edition at 3500 (183MHz core/mem) with VGA out instead of the custom breakout box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

My question is will 1.07 install ok or will I need to find compaq's drivers? Also this *should* have 5.5ns ram.... Anyone getting good overclock out of these cards?

On a 3000 AGP I changed the crappy thermal adhesive out for AS5 and tested fine up to 190MHz so far with just a 80mm quiet fan along the side of it. Before it would only do about 180

Find me a Falcon Northwest V3 3500. They were factory clocked to 200mhz with 5ns memory.

There was also an MSI motherboard with onboard V3 video.

Reply 8 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Man if I lived in Oregon I would work for Falcon NW. Building hot rodded custom game rigs and validating the latest game hardware is perfect for me I think. 😉

Reply 9 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Man if I lived in Oregon I would work for Falcon NW. Building hot rodded custom game rigs and validating the latest game hardware is perfect for me I think. 😉

Yeah for all those people who can afford to spend $2000 on a shoebox PC.

Reply 10 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, you never had to buy the card with the system. Didn't have to with the TNT2 Xentor with high 190MHz clocks either. Just really expensive cards to buy seperate 😀

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 11 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

If I had more money than I knew what to do with I'd place an order. 😁

Reply 12 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
sliderider wrote:

If I had more money than I knew what to do with I'd place an order. 😁

That's why I could never work for one of those companies. I'd be handling machines all day that I could never afford to buy myself. 😒

On a serious note, though, Tigerdirect was recently selling 6-core kits for $300 with everything you need. Is it really worth the price for a Falcon NW, Alienware, or any of the other high end PC makers? Even a more mainstream machine like a DELL XPS is ridiculous. I don't mind places like Ibuypower, though. At least they are a little more down to earth with their prices. They also use a lot of regular production parts that you can easily replace if anything breaks once the machine is out of it's warranty. Those boutique machines use some parts that are made just for them or that are hand picked for higher than normal performance and you'll never be able to find another one once it dies. The company that sold you the machine may not even be able to find another one after a certain amount of time. I see a lot of people talking down Ibuypower, saying they're not in the same league as a company like Alienware, but you can get some powerful and cool looking machines from them for a good price and save the extra money for buying more games.

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a reference to the 3500TV that's clocked as a 3000, it's at the Dodge Garage of course 😜
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/

Report spammers here!