User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have done a fresh install on a p4 2.8 running with:

s3savage 2000
voodoo 2
sw60xg

Running 98se, drivers for all cards loaded ok, device manager shows no problems. But when I boot up I get the error in the message title. V2 drivers are from falconfly.de, the creative 6670 originals. Changing to the latest ref drivers doesn't help. Actually windows then crashes on bootup with an explorer.exe error once I change drivers.

Googling doesn't seem to throw up much and nothing that looked very promising apart from clean the contacts and try it in another slot. I cleaned the card and it's been in several slots.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 14, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you see the Voodoo2 correctly installed in control panel, i.e., without any red cross or yellow interrogation/exclamation mark? If you can't get there before system crashes, boot in safe mode, open control panel and manually delete every Voodoo2 entry.

Reply 2 of 14, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
batracio wrote:

Can you see the Voodoo2 correctly installed in control panel, i.e., without any red cross or yellow interrogation/exclamation mark?

Yes, I even managed to open the voodoo tab on the display panel though i think it very quickly flashed up an error message before it displayed. This is until i reboot after I install a different driver, when the system crashes before any icons appear on the desktop.

batracio wrote:

If you can't get there before system crashes, boot in safe mode, open control panel and manually delete every Voodoo2 entry.

I tried this but it may have been before I did the a fresh install. I also tried deleting anything starting with glide, 3dfx or voodoo from windows, windows\system, windows\inf and windows\inf\other.

I'll have another go later and try cleaning, reseating again as well.

Edit: looks like it was a duff card. I swapped it for a couple of other CT6670s and they both worked. Reinserting this one, it gave the same error message. Conclusion: software ain't detecting it cos it don't work.

Reply 5 of 14, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These cards only have ceramic or tantalum SMD capacitors, and there are dozens of them. Maybe if you can spot a missing cap or resistor... but replacing all of them is hardly worth the effort.

Reply 6 of 14, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
batracio wrote:

These cards only have ceramic or tantalum SMD capacitors, and there are dozens of them. Maybe if you can spot a missing cap or resistor... but replacing all of them is hardly worth the effort.

Yuo. Much easier to just replace the card 😀 I got a Diamond monster II for 1e off the ebay a few years back 😀

Reply 7 of 14, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might want to look for scraped or cut land areas on the board. Also if any pins along the IC's have been bent towards each other.

I have a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP where one of the ram chips has a couple legs that are really close to each other from mishandling. I've checked mine with a magnify lense and found they really just close but not shorting to each other. If you have this issue could take a dental pick and carefully separate them and see if the card would work.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 8 of 14, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Also if any pins along the IC's have been bent towards each other. .

Now used a magnifying glass, looks like this could be the problem. Of those three big 3dfx chips, one has on of the legs bent and almost touching one next to it, and another chip has three legs bent sideways, looks like there might be 1 or 2 shorts there.

Just got out my smallest screwdriver and it's too big to fit between the legs, will have to search round for something else. Don't have any toothpicks, a needle or pin paybe.

Reply 9 of 14, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh. I found a needlework unpicker was sharp enough to do the job, but some of the pins broke off their solder when straightened [maybe they already were] and a couple would not straighten and I've never seen pincers or tweezers that small. So I binned the card. Damn, I hate the way technology can get functionally destroyed by such miniscule levels of damage 😵

Reply 10 of 14, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ratfink wrote:

Meh. I found a needlework unpicker was sharp enough to do the job, but some of the pins broke off their solder when straightened [maybe they already were] and a couple would not straighten and I've never seen pincers or tweezers that small. So I binned the card. Damn, I hate the way technology can get functionally destroyed by such miniscule levels of damage 😵

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please go take it out of the bin. You can still fix unsoldered pins by baking the card in your oven (yeah, seriously!).

Reply 11 of 14, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have this problem with a stb voodoo 2,the card gets detected by windows,the drivers install fine,but after restart i get this message.
I tried the card on 2 different systems 1 with windows 98 the other with windows 95,i use the latest driver for the voodoo 2-.3.02
I also checked the card especially the chips but i can't see anything wrong there,the card looks to be in good shape.
Not sure what to do with it.

Reply 12 of 14, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this error after I installed Voodoo2 w2k drivers in Xp, then changed glide2x/glide3x dlls in %system% to nGlide versions. Voodoo2 control panel detected new memory sizes (nGlide emulates 32 MB). After I returned old versions of glide - the error appeared.
I have fixed this error by moving my Voodoo2 to another PCI slot.
To fix this error completely - find registry keys created by 3dfxv2ps.dll (with Regmon). And just delete these keys after you get the error.

I was wrong, the problem was hardware related in this case.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2015-10-30, 22:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 14 of 14, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I moved the card to different other pci slots i still get the same error.I tried to install some older drivers those give me another error something about 3dfxv2ps.dll.
Saddly I think the card is broken.