VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Introduction
I am testing a Creative Technology Sound Blaster 16 ISA sound card, model number CT2740. It is a semi Plug and Play device. You cannot set its IRQ using jumpers, but you do not need Creative's PnP manager called CTCM.exe to allocate resources for this card. Instead, you use the Creative DOS utility called Diagnose.exe.

The chip below the empty socket says: CT1741 V4.11. I guess that's its DSP version, and that would mean it's buggy. Also, above the gold "ISA fingers" on the bottom left area, you can see a small chip has been removed. I think that's where the Yamaha FM chip should be. I guess they've removed it, and replaced it with a cheaper alternative.

The card
sb16.jpg

1) Link to the DOS and Windows 3.x drivers and applications package. Filename is Win31.7z.
2) Link to the DOS and Windows 3.x drivers and applications update. Filename is Win31drv.7z.
3) Link to the Stason webpage diagram for this card.
4) I'll do the Windows 9x software in a follow up thread.

Notes
1) I got this software from Vogons user "TheMAN", on his ISO compilation. It can be found on Malik's Creative software thread here, and can be downloaded here. The sub directory I used inside this ISO file is called "\SB16AWE\WIN31", and contains 5 sub folders: CTCM (which I didn't need for this card), and DISK1 to DISK4. The software loaded during this installation was as follows:

Installed file structures
C:\SB16
sb16list.jpg

C:\SB16\DRV
drv.jpg

C:\SB16\WINAPPL
winappl.jpg

C:\SB16\WINDRV
windrv.jpg

Windows 3.x software
apps1.jpg
apps2.jpg

Version information
Creative Mixer = 4.35
Soundo'le = 2.52.0
Sound blaster configuration = 2.12.00.00
Midi = 1.23
Wave = 1.23
CD = 1.23
Remote = 1.24
Wave studio = 2.0
Text Assist control panel = 1.30
TA dictionary reader = 1.30
DOS mixerset = 2.12
DOS diagnose = 4.02

2) As above in note number 1, I got this software from Vogons user "TheMAN", on his ISO compilation. It can be found on Malik's Creative software thread here, and can be downloaded here. The sub directory I used inside this ISO file is called "\SB16AWE\WIN31DRV".

Please note that for software number 1 and 2 above, I guessed if this software was the most appropriate and the most up to date to use for this card. If someone (eg TheMAN) can check to see if I've selected the best software to use, that would be really helpful. Thanks a lot. Running this update installation, the following software was updated:

Creative Mixer = 4.35 -> updated to 4.51.0
DOS mixerset = 2.12 -> updated to 2.18
DOS diagnose = 4.02 -> updated to 4.05

The other Windows 3.x applications were not updated. They are Soundo'le, Sound blaster configuration, Creative Midi, Creative Wave, Creative CD, Remote, Wave studio. And also Text Assist control panel, TA dictionary reader. That's curious. For example, some of these apps are still on version 1.23. I noticed that when I installed software for my AWE64, these windows 3.x apps (such as Midi, Wave, and CD) have a slightly higher version number of 1.27 and 1.26.

Also, this update saved some older files, and put them inside a back up folder called C:\SB16\backup. These old files are:
old.jpg

Questions
1) Sometimes when I install a SoundBlaster card, I get these lines added to my config.sys file:

DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

What software needs these lines? Any games? And I wonder why the installation that I have just done (software link 1 at the top of this post) did not insert these 2 lines in to my config.sys file. Did the installation routine examine my sound card hardware, and determine that these lines were not suitable? If you examine the "C:\SB16\DRV" file structure image which I posted above, those two files are there, but they don't get used. This has just jogged my memory. I'm sure this has happened once before. I wonder if the installation partly failed, and it was not able to correctly update my config.sys file?

2) On my card, there are two jumpers labelled IFSD and APSD. Is their function just to enable or disable the ASP chip?

3) Is the ASP chip sometimes called the CSP chip? Are they the same thing?

4) For games, is the ASP chip worthless, or are there a small number of games that use it?

Edit:
5) Can I use QSound with this sound card?

6) I notice there's no 3dctrl.exe (sorry I can't remember the correct file name) installed in the DOS SB16 section. Any reason for that, I wonder?

Edit 2:
I've just made a recording. It's here. Does it sound right to you? The left and right channels sound very "seperated". It's about 1 minute of reggae music made using one of the windows 3.x installed .MIDI file samples, using Creative MIDI player.

Reply 1 of 11, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

those 2 jumpers mentioned control enable/disable the ASP chip... you don't have the chip obviously so it'll do nothing at best
QSound requires the ASP chip unless you use software based solutions, which are CPU intensive
There's no 3dctrl.exe because you don't have the binaural 3D sound chip... it's a very small square chip, I forgot what the # is

ASP = CSP... creative labs renamed it to "CSP" I guess to avoid confusion with Microsoft's thing

QSound support is weak when using the ASP chip and Creative never really cared much for it. To get it to work properly, driver hacks are needed... I mentioned this in malik's driver thread.. I forgot if I made a separate thread for this or not, just search if you don't see it. I doubt you'll get the chance to do this though because the ASP chip is almost impossible to find.

As for TextAssist that came with the SB16 install, you should run the update to get it to the latest version.. the "tamo" directory also works in case the updater program doesn't work as it is a standalone install that includes mosaic.

Reply 2 of 11, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the big "Creative" chip in the lower left quadrant of the photo is a CT1747 (can't quite read it on the photo), then the OPL3 is in there. And it's the real thing, not the cheap CQM emulation. 😉

The recording sounds just as I remember it. 😀

Reply 3 of 11, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:
1) Sometimes when I install a SoundBlaster card, I get these lines added to my config.sys file: […]
Show full quote

1) Sometimes when I install a SoundBlaster card, I get these lines added to my config.sys file:

DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

What software needs these lines? Any games? And I wonder why the installation that I have just done (software link 1 at the top of this post) did not insert these 2 lines in to my config.sys file. Did the installation routine examine my sound card hardware, and determine that these lines were not suitable? If you examine the "C:\SB16\DRV" file structure image which I posted above, those two files are there, but they don't get used. This has just jogged my memory. I'm sure this has happened once before. I wonder if the installation partly failed, and it was not able to correctly update my config.sys file?

When Soundblaster was introduced Creative also delivered their own API to use the card with those drivers. Since it was so unflexible noone used it and direct access was the way to go. Some older own Creative programs require this drivers (as the sound test in diagnose.exe f.e., playcmf...).
For your boot configuration you can remove the lines from config.sys and need only the following lines in your autoexec.bat (in this order):
SET BLASTER=Axxx Ix Hx Dx Tx Pxxx
diagnose.exe /S
mixerset.exe /P

The address should be the same as jumpered and T6 for SB16.
Other values to the resources you would like to have.

Reply 4 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the info people! BTW, that chip is a CT1747, so that's good news! I'm now trying to get the card installed under Windows 95. It's not a PnP card, and so when W95 boots up, it does not "instantly" see the card. That's perfectly OK. So, I try and run this setup.exe:

Setup.exe file, 3rd file from bottom. This setup.exe is found on TheMAN's ISO file. It's in a sub directory called \SB16AWE\WIN95.
w95.jpg

When I run this setup.exe, I get this message. It says that the audio drivers must be installed before the applications.
insta.jpg

To get this to work, I could allow Windows 95 to automatically install the card for me. I can do this, by using W95's add hardware wizard. That will use the drivers from the Windows 95 CD-ROM. If I do that, I am sure this applications setup.exe mentioned above will be OK. But what exactly does setup.exe do? I think it just installs applications, and not drivers. But if that is true, why is there this /DRIVERS sub folder:

drvs.jpg

I tried another approach, which did not work. I tried to manually add the SB16 card's drivers, by "pointing" the W95 hardware wizard at this /DRIVERS folder. It didn't work because the hardware wizard was looking for an .inf file, and there is no .inf file inside this /DRIVERS folder.

I notice on the net, that there is a similar download package, compared to TheMAN's ISO subfolder called "WIN95". It's structured in the same way. And when you run its setup.exe, it does the same thing: it says that the audio drivers must be installed first. In fact, the "error message" picture above is taken from an alternative download package that I tried. (They both look the same, and say the same thing.)

So, because I do not have the manual, I don't know if Creative's advice is to allow Windows 95 to detect the card (using the add hardware wizard) so that the basic W95 drivers are loaded first. And then, perhaps Creative's advice is to tell the user to run the setup.exe mentioned above, so that the applications are installed. Perhaps Creative also advise the user to then upgrade the standard W95 drivers with the ones found inside the \DRIVERS sub folder, also mentioned above.

Any ideas please people? Thanks a lot for any advice. BTW, I haven't burnt TheMAN's ISO file on to a CD-R yet, because I'm waiting for a new spindle of CD-Rs to be sent to me. So, I do not know if TheMAN's ISO automates some of the installation process. However, I really want to know what goes on "behind the scenes", so that I can learn about what software is needed, and which versions are needed. Etc.

Edit: I think I can answer my own question. On TheMAN's ISO file, I have just spotted another sub folder called \SBAWE16\WIN9XDRV. I'm sure that's what I need. I'll try pointing the W95 add hardware wizard at that folder, and then run the setup.exe to install the application software afterwards...

Reply 6 of 11, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

What goes in that big, empty socket?

The ASP/CSP chip as mentioned above. It was supposed to accelerate speech processing and other signal processing functions, but virtually nothing was ever developed to use it.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, the way I got it working was to run W95's add hardware wizard, and get it to detect any new hardware. It found the card and also the joystick port. It then installed the drivers from the W95 CD-ROM. After that, I could then install the SB16 applications OK, by running the setup.exe mentioned earlier.

Also, I was able to update the W95 drivers, by selecting the "update driver" button, found inside the card's resource properties. I checked the driver version, before and after this upgrade, and they appeared to be the same. So, it's likely that the final SB16 drivers are found on the W95 CD-ROM - well, the W95 CD-ROM that I am using, which is OSR21 (I think that is what it is called - the one with IE built in to it.)

Edit: Here is another recording of the same reggae MIDI track. This time, it's done using the final Windows 95 driver, using an upgraded Creative MIDI player, version 2.05.0. The mixer settings for both the earlier Windows 3.x version, and this new Windows 95 version were the same. If you listen very carefully, the W95 version sounds better because the Win 3.x version has a few partial "dropped notes".

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-06-08, 22:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 11, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi
a CT1748A goes in that socket which is the ASP AFAIK.
i have a slightly older sb16 which has one soldered on
along with a useless sony cd interface.

here is a picture for your enjoyment.

p1010545i.th.jpg

bye

Reply 9 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:
sliderider wrote:

What goes in that big, empty socket?

The ASP/CSP chip as mentioned above. It was supposed to accelerate speech processing and other signal processing functions, but virtually nothing was ever developed to use it.

Is that anything like a DSP?

Reply 10 of 11, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Actually, the way I got it working was to run W95's add hardware wizard, and get it to detect any new hardware. It found the card and also the joystick port. It then installed the drivers from the W95 CD-ROM. After that, I could then install the SB16 applications OK, by running the setup.exe mentioned earlier.

Also, I was able to update the W95 drivers, by selecting the "update driver" button, found inside the card's resource properties. I checked the driver version, before and after this upgrade, and they appeared to be the same. So, it's likely that the final SB16 drivers are found on the W95 CD-ROM - well, the W95 CD-ROM that I am using, which is OSR21 (I think that is what it is called - the one with IE built in to it.)

Edit: Here is another recording of the same reggae MIDI track. This time, it's done using the final Windows 95 driver, using an upgraded Creative MIDI player, version 2.05.0. The mixer settings for both the earlier Windows 3.x version, and this new Windows 95 version were the same. If you listen very carefully, the W95 version sounds better because the Win 3.x version has a few partial "dropped notes".

OSR2.1 is the same as OSR2 except it adds USB support. It does not have the latest SB16 drivers. My ISO does have the latest SB16 drivers as well as the older ones that allows QSound to function properly. Anyway, the SB16 installer is stupid... it wants you to have the drivers working first, it assumes Win95 auto detected it (the SB16 CD came out when the first PnP cards came out) and automatically installed the drivers. So it won't let you install the apps without the drivers working first. This is the reason why you can't run the installer in NT because it uses different drivers.

the latest drivers on the CD are revision 16

I believe most of the win95 apps are 32bit... at least hybrid

Reply 11 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a video on YouTube by Lazy Game Reviews. It is called MMPLAY, and is the multimedia play demo for the SB16. It's quite good!

SB16 application setup. A friend of Pac Man, perhaps?
pac.jpg