SB Vibra 16S / Vibra Pro / AWE64 output quality

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 61, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

I am considering to try another SB16 Vibra soundcard: Can somebody please tell me if the Vibra CT2501 and/or CT2502 chipset based sound blasters have acceptable Digital sound output. Note that the CT2502 based chips do not have Vibra written anywhere. Are they without the ringing problem of the CT2504 Vibra 16S based cards?
To test this one has to use headphones and start a game, or preferably tyrian setup/jukebox. Then turn of the music and do something that triggers a sample to be played. When trying this a few times (play like 30 samples), after every sample played listen for a high pitch ringing sound that remains.

Interesting. My performa-630-DOS should have such a chip (CT2501), but I can't get softmpu to work with it. 🙁

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 61 of 61, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

Interesting. My performa-630-DOS should have such a chip (CT2501), but I can't get softmpu to work with it. 🙁

Sorry for another reply, but I got an idea for this problem. You could use the serial port for SoftMPU as an alternative.
I think it does support that by now (or was it an experimental feature only ? - I forgott).
As far as I know, your compatibility card's software does have the ability to map PC serial and parallel ports to Mac ports.
So perhaps you only need a small breadboard with a little converter IC (similar to max232) to make it electrically compatible with the MIDI.
The baudrate stuff could be done by the software then. But again, that's just an idea of an foolish optimist like me. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//