Topic actions

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Last time i have bought this controller card:

rus7rt.jpg

My problem is that i am not have much information on it.
I know there are other 2 members that having this card also..

I want to know where i can find an manual (for download as PDF or something) Does anybody also know where i can find the orginal drivers for it bacause when i bought it, is was came without them..

I had tested this card already, but it works. Is there an option to get in this encanched bios?

Reply 1 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No pic for me?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

jumper settings are on the back side of the card, so no manual is needed. there are no drivers for the card, none exist. and the "enhanced" bios has no options that you can change. It basically adds auto-detect and allowances for hard drives to 8gb in size.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 20, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok thanks luckybob

Does it works the same like the promise version? Or does the promise version had more options because there is software for it.

Reply 4 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only scsi needed drivers. Any "software" that these cards have is usually just format / partitioning disk tools. nothing controller specific.

Reply 5 of 20, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does this card also autodetect an regular cd-rom player and floppy drives? Or does the motherboard bios take over control of those floppy drives?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 7 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish I had a dual ISA (E)IDE card 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 20, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok i tried it out..

Its the same like an normal IDE controller (i think it has 2 biosses) Floppy drives you have to select them in the bios screen..
If you using the max size harddisk of 502mb (dont know the max) it could be detected by the normal bios.. If its bigger its taking the E-IDE bios.. So larger drives up to 8,4GB can be used.

I like this card, but the big problem here is that dos arent support bigger harddisks then 2GB.. So a 1.9GB drive would be nice.. otherwise your have to made more partitions..

This controller was expensive if you looking for cheap stuff.. And the seller would i only send it to america.. So i ask him gently if he will send it to my country because i want it to have it hardy.. ect costs where not a problem for me.. 😊

Isnt there an manual online for this card. I know its on this card, but it its hardly to read that small letters.. An manual is iesier to understand..

Reply 9 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Only scsi needed drivers. Any "software" that these cards have is usually just format / partitioning disk tools. nothing controller specific.

WRONG! 😁 😁

I had a Promise EIDE2300 VLB card that used a driver to test & configure the VL IDE port speed modes and various other things.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-06-11, 20:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
luckybob wrote:

WRONG! 😁 😁

I had a Promise EIDE2300 VLB card that used a driver to configure the VL IDE port speed modes and various other things. Some of it was configurable by jumpers though.

swaaye! You've been awful quiet lately. You go on vacation or something?

Reply 12 of 20, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked on www.siig.com website for LEGACY device information and couldn't find any.

Maybe shoot an email to their tech support and see if they still run an FTP server with this info perhaps.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 13 of 20, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
Ok i tried it out.. […]
Show full quote

Ok i tried it out..

Its the same like an normal IDE controller (i think it has 2 biosses) Floppy drives you have to select them in the bios screen..
If you using the max size harddisk of 502mb (dont know the max) it could be detected by the normal bios.. If its bigger its taking the E-IDE bios.. So larger drives up to 8,4GB can be used.

I like this card, but the big problem here is that dos arent support bigger harddisks then 2GB.. So a 1.9GB drive would be nice.. otherwise your have to made more partitions..

This controller was expensive if you looking for cheap stuff.. And the seller would i only send it to america.. So i ask him gently if he will send it to my country because i want it to have it hardy.. ect costs where not a problem for me.. 😊

Isnt there an manual online for this card. I know its on this card, but it its hardly to read that small letters.. An manual is iesier to understand..

DOS 7.1 supports FAT32 IIRC 😉

Reply 14 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dos 7.1 isnt really dos in a strict sense. its just windows 95 without the gui.

"technically" dos ended at 6.22

Reply 16 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

dos 7.1 isnt really dos in a strict sense. its just windows 95 without the gui.

"technically" dos ended at 6.22

Don't tell that to IBM

$%28KGrHqYOKiYE1fKJ3kFKBNhU5i5LJg~~0_3.JPG

Or the people who ended up owning Digital Research DOS.

DR-DOS-8.PNG

And here's a brief tutorial telling how to make DOS 7 bootable if you have Win9x installed.

http://www.ctyme.com/msdos7.htm

Reply 18 of 20, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

those are both different products... They just have "dos" in the title.

You said "techincally DOS ended with 6.22" you didn't say MS-DOS, you just said DOS. There have been even more versions of DOS than the ones I mentioned since 6.22.

As for MS-DOS, Windows 95A came with DOS 7.0, 95B/C/98 and SE came with 7.1 and Windows ME came with 8.0 so even if you only meant MS-DOS, you are still wrong.

Reply 19 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
luckybob wrote:

those are both different products... They just have "dos" in the title.

You said "techincally DOS ended with 6.22" you didn't say MS-DOS, you just said DOS.

While you are technically correct, from the context it's clear they both are talking about MS-DOS 😉

Report spammers here!