Topic actions

Reply 20 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look or a z-clip w/heatsink, similar to that shown in this thread,
My Ultimate VL/EISA 486
If you find a supplier of them, let me know. I could use a few more.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 64, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But aren't there thermal pastes known so be very adhesive to begin with? Not literally glue, but with a strong bond? I've used paste before that was a trick just to separate a huge heat sink tower from the CPU without pulling the chip right out of the zif socket - and that happened a few times too. A small sink would never fall off with the stuff I was using unless it was struck at just the right angle or twisted off.

At any rate you could test it. Bed the sink, burn it in for a while, and give it a tug..

Reply 24 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hatta wrote:

If your heat paste is adhering, it's dried out and no good anymore. Remove the dried on paste with non-polar solvent and reapply.

Personally, I bought a roll of Seksui heat tape.

Does that leave a mark on the CPU if you remove it in, say, 5-10 years?

Reply 25 of 64, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hatta wrote:

If your heat paste is adhering, it's dried out and no good anymore. Remove the dried on paste with non-polar solvent and reapply.

Personally, I bought a roll of Seksui heat tape.

Arctic Silver seems to adhere a little naturally and straight out of the tube.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ill start searching for a Z clip.

I have some heat sink tape but I don't feel its going to transfer the heat as reliably as arctic silver 5.

So why did almost every 486 boards have those clips? whats the point? there's no product for them? I have never seen a Z clip on any PC.

n08d.jpg

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 27 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also try a 3-holed socket 370 clip and heatsink if the clip is flexible enough, however I found the Z-clip works a little better. Some 486 boards also don't have enough clearance around the tabs for the socket 370 clip. Also, I'm not sure if "z-clip" is the official name; that just seems to be what people on here have been calling it, so I adopted this term.

Reply 28 of 64, by moofree

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tincup wrote:

But aren't there thermal pastes known so be very adhesive to begin with? Not literally glue, but with a strong bond?

This stuff from dealextreme functions like that. It takes just a bit of shear force to pop a heatsink back off.
I've also used black silicone engine gasket sealant in the past. Doubt it's ideal, but at least it's designed to adhere under high temperatures! 😵

Reply 29 of 64, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Look or a z-clip w/heatsink, similar to that shown in this thread,
My Ultimate VL/EISA 486
If you find a supplier of them, let me know. I could use a few more.

Here's one selling 50:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-CPU-Cooler-49-5 … =item43bdcc5024

Group buy anyone?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 31 of 64, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Group buy anyone?

I'm in. I want 5 😉

Someone in the UK should buy as he has free domestic shipping.

Last edited by vetz on 2013-07-27, 07:36. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 35 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I sent the seller a message requesting him to put up an auction for 5 units at 15 pounds due to multiple interests. We'll see what happens.

Reply 39 of 64, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Give us a quick list of what you have on hand that maybe we can make a decent suggestion as to solving this. You can make wire clips that would make the cooler to the cpu your self on the corners if there is enough of a gap between the cpu and the socket. The other is the glue method but stuff out there will eat through super glue like water does elmers glue xD

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.