VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I recently aquired a small batch of servers, including 2 ASUS CUR-DLS boards. The boards are Socket 370 Coppermine boards with a number of PCI and 2 64bit PCI slots (No ISA, no AGP).
It uses some LSI(?) chipset, which I presume is especially made for servers instead of desktops. Hence 64bit PCI and registered SDRAM modules.

While looking for drivers from the HP and ASUS sites, it appears that only some of the server OS's are actually supported, like Windows 2000 server (not even w2k pro!).

It would be great if I can run 9x on it with Voodoo 2 SLI and only single CPU, but I've never ever worked with such server boards before and have no clue what the most common issues are when trying to run such a server board as a day-to-day rig or a retro rig.

Could anyone please share their experiences about using these boards with 9x and the issues they possibly had with them?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 5, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am going to give this a bump.

I nearly bought the same board but eventually went the AMD way, with a asus a7m266d.
Have yet to install win98 on it, however it is on the to do list.

Reply 2 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only have experience with the Asus CUV4X-DLS. Holey cow, somebody is trying to sell one on eBay for over $600 USD!

It may take me some time to get over this kind of shock. Oceanside, California? Is that where the IC recycling depot is for Los Angeles?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

I only have experience with the Asus CUV4X-DLS. Holey cow, somebody is trying to sell one on eBay for over $600 USD!

It may take me some time to get over this kind of shock. Oceanside, California? Is that where the IC recycling depot is for Los Angeles?

*Checked Ebay*

Oh, that seller! The one with the running guy? His prices are so ridiculous, he'd sell a loaf of bread for $200 if he could 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
feipoa wrote:

*Checked Ebay*

Oh, that seller! The one with the running guy? His prices are so ridiculous, he'd sell a loaf of bread for $200 if he could 😜

And he has a bad attitude, as well. I asked to see a photo of something once and he replied something to the effect that he only deals with people who know what they are buying and don't need photos, talking down at me like he knows more about computers than anyone and everyone else needs to just shut up , kiss his butt, and buy his stuff sight unseen.

Reply 5 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I've ever bought anything on eBay that was photoless. If a seller even has a hint of the bad attitude sickness, I won't buy. There's probably about a half-dozen sellers on my "Do not buy from" list.

I almost always will not buy from sellers that do not offer at least a 7 day warranty on such old hardware. The risk is way too high, especially at these illegally high prices. On the other hand, if the price is really low, I may buy as is. In particular, about half of old motherboards I receive have some kind of not-immediatly-obvious hardware failure.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.