VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm thinking of getting an old PC to round off my collection of crap. When I say old, I mean from the 8086 era. I had a look on ebay.co.uk, and there's a couple of old Amstrad PC1512s available, but I think the later PC1640 is a better model, because it's got a HDD, and also there's an optional EGA monitor to go with it. ATM however, this model is not on ebay.

What I would really like to know is - what are the names of some models to look out for on ebay? Amstrad is a clone of course. Was the first IBM model called a 5051? I expect that's quite rare and expensive now, and I think it only came with a CGA monitor. I think there were other (cheaper) clones available back in the day, but I can't remember their names...

Reply 1 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps VCF would be the place to ask 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, VCF is the better place for information about those sorts of machines. But I also don't think you quite realize what you're asking...

There were hundreds of different XT-class machines on the market, ranging from the original IBM 5150 and 5160 machines, to big-name OEM 'compatibles', to generic Taiwanese whitebox clones. Pretty much all of them had their own particular quirks and benefits/drawbacks, and some of the third-party OEM systems weren't even completely 'PC compatible'.

Reply 3 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About Amstrad Models:
- PC1512SD: 512kb RAM, single 5.25 floppy drive, CGA video card.
- PC1512DD: 512kb RAM, two 5.25 floppy drives, CGA video card.
- PC1640SD: 640kb RAM, single 5.25 floppy drive, EGA video card.
- PC1640DD: 640kb RAM, two 5.25 floppy drives, EGA video card.
- PC1640HD: 640kb RAM, single 5.25 floppy drive, hard disk, EGA video card.

Amstrad PC1512 were sold with monochrome or CGA colour monitor, while PC1640 could be sold with EGA colour monitor (PC MM, PC CM were the monochrome and colour monitors).

Keep in mind that some of these computers were upgraded later by their owners, so it's not strange to find a PC1512 with 3.5 floppy drives, or fitted with a MFM controller and hard disk (they have standard 8 bit ISA buses).

These computers were renamed in some markets, like the PC5120 and PC6400 (in USA). Also, the very rare Sinclair PC500 is a rebranded PC1512.

Some other computers to look for (8086 or equivalent CPUs)...
Amstrad PPC512/PPC640 8086 laptops made by Amstrad.
Sinclair PC200: A computer in a keyboard based on PPC512 hardware.
Schneider EuroPC: Another computer in a keyboard.
Commodore PC10 and PC20: A friend of mine had one of those. The PC20 adds a hard drive.
Olivetti prodest PC1: Yet another computer in a keyboard, not as compatible as other PC clones.
Amstrad 2086 / 3086 / 5086: Amstrad kept upgrading the cases, but not the CPUs inside the computers 😉 OK, that's not fair... these generations had models like 2386 (a 386).
Olivetti PCS86: Another modern incarnation of a 8086... really a Nec V30. This computer has a IDE-more-or-less compatible controller and VGA graphics.
Olivetti M24: I learned MS-DOS in one of those machines... really bulky.
IBM PS/1: A strange computer from IBM, it could boot from ROM (had MS-DOS 4.0 in ROM).
Canon Navigator: A strange mix of fax, phone and computer (compatible with MS-DOS 3.3). I've got one of those, and I'm willing to sell it.

There were many 8086 computer makers in the wild, so I suggest you to search the terms 8086, 8088, V20 and V30.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yeah, VCF is the better place for information about those sorts of machines. But I also don't think you quite realize what you're asking...

There were hundreds of different XT-class machines on the market, ranging from the original IBM 5150 and 5160 machines, to big-name OEM 'compatibles', to generic Taiwanese whitebox clones. Pretty much all of them had their own particular quirks and benefits/drawbacks, and some of the third-party OEM systems weren't even completely 'PC compatible'.

This is kinda the reason why I decided to stick with 386 and up, actually.

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 11, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the other people in this thread have summed it up quite nicely. The quality of the clones varies quite a bit. The nicest and most compatible machines to own are the original ones of course, the IBM PC (5150) and the IBM PC XT (5160). Especially when combined with an original monochrome IBM 5151 or CGA IBM 5153 monitor and the clicky IBM keyboard. The prices on eBay for all these items are really horrible, so I suggest searching local auction sites.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that the old XT-class machines are rather difficult to upgrade nowadays. Because they only have 8-bit ISA slots, you'll have a hard time finding suitable upgrades. I spent years looking for an IDE HDD controller that works with "modern" drives or even Compact Flash cards.

Then again, I find that XT-class machines are mostly for show anyway, because their usefulness is quite limited. Even when you equip them with the full 640kb of RAM, HD-floppy support, HDD and VGA graphics card, you'll still wonder why you wouldn't use a slightly more modern PC in the first place. I guess an XT in its original setup should do quite nicely.

Reply 6 of 11, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the Amstrad 1512/1640 pcs. A 1512 was the first computer I ever worked with, when I was about 7-8 years old, since we had those at the primary school I went. But if you go for one, keep in mind that you want also to get the monitor. I thing the PSU is in the monitor. Maybe you can modify another PSU connector and make it work, but in my opinion it's not going to look so good that way.....

Reply 7 of 11, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I reckon the charm of an XT is using the original monochrome green-phosphor CRT with the long afterglow.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 11, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up with terrible eyesight when I was using an XT regularly for work [it got better when vga came along]. The AT was a bit better. They had Amstrad PC1512's or 1640s on a few courses I went on back then. They were disappointing - cheap-looking and the screens were really awful. I've never felt tempted by Amstrad PCs ever since.

And really, you have to get an IBM XT if only for the wonderful original keyboard, pre-model M and weighs a ton.

Reply 9 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

I ended up with terrible eyesight when I was using an XT regularly for work [it got better when vga came along]. The AT was a bit better. They had Amstrad PC1512's or 1640s on a few courses I went on back then. They were disappointing - cheap-looking and the screens were really awful. I've never felt tempted by Amstrad PCs ever since.

And really, you have to get an IBM XT if only for the wonderful original keyboard, pre-model M and weighs a ton.

Yup, and hope that nothing breaks! 😜
Even the IBM's of that time weren't IBM-compatible! 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent info, thanks people! 😀 I owned an Amstrad 1640HD back in 1989. It had a monochrome display. No good for games, but excellent for text. ratfink, were the screens that you used colour?

The "AA" batteries underneath the monitor which powered the CMOS was a good idea. They keyboard and mouse were cheap. I didn't use "GEM" much, which was a Windows replacement.