VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was thinking about my third vintage pc..

Now i have this:

My first pc specs will be:

- AMD 386 DX 40mhz [256KB cache]
- MSI Contaq 386 motherboard.
- 20 MB of ram..
- SIIG IDE controller E-IDE
- Thinking of using an 4GB harddisk (2 partitions) (need it for an huge archive of games)
Backup on CF card..
- 16-bit STB Nitro 1MB ISA VGA card (maybe later will replace it)
- Aztech Sound Galaxy II OPL3 YAMAHA with XG60 YAMAHA daughterboard.and PC-speaker connected.
- Gravis Ultrasound ACE (need find a memory upgrade for it)
- Roland LAPC-I (MT-32)
- Roland CM-300 (Sound Canvas SC-55)
- Joystick Dual controller card.
- NEW AT compatible case.
- TEAC 1.2mb 5.25 floppy drive
- TEAC 1.44 3.5 Inch floppy drive
- 3.5 inch CF reader

My second Rig will be:

AMD K6 (thinking of using an + or III+ for lower volt and down clock it to 266 / 300 Mhz)
Tyan Trinity 100AT (S1590) SS7
384 MB of sd-ram pc100
(graphics thinking of diamond (geforce 256 would be to fast)
TEAC 1.44 floppy drive 3.5
1.2 MB floppy drive..
2x creative voodoo 2 SLI
cd-rom / DVD combo
120 GB harddisk..
Soundcard (thinking of using GUS MAX or primax soundstorm) / combo AWE 32 / AWE 64 OR diamond monster sound mx 300 with daughterboard
second hand pimped case..
Roland SCC-1 sound canvas.

Now i was thinking for an 3rd system so i can play the games that are to fast for my second rig.. I want to have an full cover over all that later games..

The stuff i have laying:

Pentium 4 HT 3.06 Ghz Socket 478 533 FSB
1GB Dual channel Kingston Hyperx DDR
SOYO SY-P4I845PEISA Socket 478 I845PE 3 ISA Slots
Thinking of Nvidia 7950GT (have laying an ATI 3850 AGP but making to much noise imposible to replace the fan because of bad PCB layout)
(soundcard i dont know. most of the games are using an PCI soundcard, so why should i use ISA again?
Maybe put again 2x voodoo SLI in (for glide games)
harddisk i dunno yet..

Its usable for a lot of games I keep it in mind if the graphics card will be dead it will be hard to replace. for an other 7950GT graphics card..as example.
The games that needs te be run on this 3rd machine also need run games like Pentium II 400mhz games and faster.. so i don`t want to make this rig to fast for it..

For upgradabillty i was thinking of make a Athlon64 S939 system(then i cancel the P4 one). I had that computer to in the ierlier days to so its nice history for me.. and is pci-express, so its iesier to find an pci-express graphics card for it.

What should you guys recommend me? and what os should i use?
Windows 98 SE or windows xp or dual boot?

Reply 1 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For your 3rd rig basically anything can work, though I'm not absolutely sure about games with a req of, say, of 500Mhz (which is too fast for SS7 usually).
I use a s754 and sA rig as my LAN computers, using XP, AGP and at least 1.5GB DDR-400 and so far almost anything has worked for them.
I wouldn't bother with ISA unless you have some particular reason to do so.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I would say the attraction of ISA on a fast box like a P4 is either so you can try to build something all-singing all-dancing, able to run old dos games right through to newer games, OR because there is some particular old ISA card you want to have access to on it, like a MIDI card you might want to use with dosbox etc.

Reply 3 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday night i was brainstorming alot about my 3rd rig.. The only problem is that windows 98 was quick dropped for windows xp.. The only machine that could run windows 98 was an Athlon 1400mhz.. but the con was that athlon motherboard didnt having to much ISA slots left. You could be happy if there was one on the board and that was it.(And windows 98se had bad memory support above 512MB of memory) I also looking on wikipedia for the games lists on those years, but there wherent hardly very good games came out, and then you had to be lucky if you didnt need and Pentium 4 computer.. Mostly the athlon 1400 was already to slow for the modern games in those years.
So indeed maybe its an better idea to use windows xp on this rig (and hoping that some of those speedier games will work with windows xp too)

ABout the hardware i just need to brainstorm if i want to use the Pentium 4 Rig or maybe better could build an athlon64 rig..

Reply 4 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If ISA is what you want, then I'd suggest you build 2 more systems instead of just 1.
One of around 1Ghz-1.4Ghz with 98SE + XP dual boot, and another with XP and "maxed" XP hardware (s939, s754 or KT600 would be good examples).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes but my 4rd and last system will be an S775 system
I have enough of 4 systems. With my main pc it will be 5 systems..
Maybe i could drop the ISA part. I dont know which game(s) that needs an Pentium III or higher will using an ISA sound card or other ISA card..

Reply 6 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I though about the s939 option.. But i think thats isnt a good idea, because :

1. Its hard to get.
2 If i want to use windows 98 se (if some games wont run under windows xp)
3 There arent or hardly are motherboards that are included with windows 98SE drivers.
4 Socket 754 and ierlier s939 wont give my an benefit because they are also AGP and later Pci-express cards are also became hard to find. For newer cards the slot doesnt have enought bandwith for it , and newer cards will become to fast for what i need for.

5. And i have laying the right parts already..

So its iesier to use the pentium s 478 stuff for that.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 7 of 9, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're going for twin Voodoo 2's in SLI, don't underclock anything you can get your hands on SS7 wise. In fact, I'd say get the fastest K6-III you can get your hands on as you'll need it, and overclock it a bit if that's possible Those cards have breathing room all the way up until the 700mhz-1ghz range (and that's on a PIII). Unless you're just going for SLI to increase the max resolution to 1024x768.

I agree with s478 for win98se. Any titles that would benefit from running on 98se vs XP will not be CPU starved if you go with something in the 2.4-3ghz Northwood range and a decent video card like an ATI 9600/9800 series or Nvidia 6600/6800 series. Anything later should run fine on whatever your daily driver rig is.

Reply 8 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My second rig is an SS7 system, but i wont make that to fast because i will need it to use it for 486 games also.. If i would it clocked till 600mhz or so then i will getting problems with slower games.. And at the other hand AT cases are hard to get. So i think building 2 AT systems are hard enough these days..

Iam going to use Voodoo 2 in SLI mode because of the resolution.. One card can be maxed till 800 x 600 pixels. And for my use its to small resolution.. so i need that 1024 x 786 resolution..

And about the s478 rig. I have laying those parts here with an Intel pentium 4 HT 3.06ghz (would be fast enough to play all games in this area.)

I like to know. Is it true that Pixel shader 3.0 needed directx 9.0 ?? I was thinking how to use an PX 3.0 videocard with windows 98se? If it could i was going for an 7950GT AGP if i found one..
But if windows 98 se doesnt support px 3.0 then i cant go further then an Geforce 5..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 9 of 9, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:
My second rig is an SS7 system, but i wont make that to fast because i will need it to use it for 486 games also.. If i would it […]
Show full quote

My second rig is an SS7 system, but i wont make that to fast because i will need it to use it for 486 games also.. If i would it clocked till 600mhz or so then i will getting problems with slower games.. And at the other hand AT cases are hard to get. So i think building 2 AT systems are hard enough these days..

Iam going to use Voodoo 2 in SLI mode because of the resolution.. One card can be maxed till 800 x 600 pixels. And for my use its to small resolution.. so i need that 1024 x 786 resolution..

And about the s478 rig. I have laying those parts here with an Intel pentium 4 HT 3.06ghz (would be fast enough to play all games in this area.)

I like to know. Is it true that Pixel shader 3.0 needed directx 9.0 ?? I was thinking how to use an PX 3.0 videocard with windows 98se? If it could i was going for an 7950GT AGP if i found one..
But if windows 98 se doesnt support px 3.0 then i cant go further then an Geforce 5..

I don't know what your jumper situation is like, but you could conceivably make some leads which will run the jumpers to a switch mounted outside the computer. Then you could turn the box off and change from say 300 to 550 or 600mhz. The danger is if anyone decides to flip the switch while the box is running, it's hosed.

Or you could use moslo or turbo.exe, but those can be fussy too.

As for the GPU in the s478 box, The 6 series was the last set of cards with official Win9x driver support from Nvidia, and they are supposed to be shader model 3.0. Stay far away from the 5 series cards, they are model 2.0, but they suck compared to the radeon 9600/9700/9800 series cards which have a much better shader model 2.0 implementation and superior performance.

If you're running a game that needs or can even benefit from shader model 3.0, couldn't you just run that on your regular computer though? You didn't mention specs, but any title that new will run fine on any OS from XP through Windows 7, with any GPU that supports DX9 through DX11, unless the gpu in your daily driver is integrated or something, you should be okay. [/i]