http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=140564403873

Reply 3 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Superb! I'm imagining this in a Slot A system...the Dragon of 2000 😈

Dual socket 370, actually. It's going on my Abit VP6 next to my V5 5500 PCI, at least until a cheap GeForce 256 DDR comes along. 😳 😁 😜

Reply 6 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

no. The rage fury maxx does NOT support windows 2000. therefore a multi cpu system would be worthless. sorry.

Who says I'm running 2K on it? I'm well aware that the FURY MAXX does not work in AFR mode with 2K or XP. I also said this will only be temporary. I don't have another system with an AGP slot assembled at the moment that I can try it in. I really want a GeForce DDR in the AGP slot of this board but I'm not willing to pay $30-$40 for one.

Reply 7 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Nice one!

I hope for you the card won't be DOA mate 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Nice one!

I hope for you the card won't be DOA mate 😉

For $16 I'll frame it and hang it on the wall if it is. 😜

I'm also wondering what exactly is different about 98 that it allows the MAXX to run 2 GPU's but 2k/XP doesn't and can 2k/XP possibly be "fixed" to allow it to work the same way it does under 98?

I know that 2k/XP tries to put both GPU's on the AGP bus at the same time as a single unit like the way the V5 5500 works but the MAXX doesn't work that way. The MAXX is actually meant to be addressed as two Rage 128 Pro cards and shows up in device manager that way. So what would have to be patched in 2k/XP to make it more like 98 in that regard? Something to do with Device Manager, I would think.

Reply 9 of 23, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can google it for a more detailed reason, but basically what ati did was put two chips on the same agp bus and had the drivers switch between them. I think they called it alternate frame rendering. this was fine in 98 because of drivers. but under NT/2000 how drivers work was changed and the switching was not supported.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 23, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a MAXX a few years ago but never put it through it's paces.
Lemme know what drivers you have luck with so I can download them and put them away for safe keeping. 😉

Reply 12 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwack wrote:

Lemme know what drivers you have luck with so I can download them and put them away for safe keeping. 😉

From the reviews I am seeing it mixes it up with the GeForce SDR/DDR cards pretty well apart from the fact that they are DX7 cards and the MAXX is only DX6 and has no T&L support. It does support a slightly higher OpenGL specification, but I doubt the changes between the two versions amount to much. The machine I am putting it in is cobbled together from other machines which is why I have 98 on a dual CPU motherboard, because it was easier to move the hard drive with 98 already installed than to format another drive and do a 2K/XP install though that monumental task ultimately awaits me as I need it to take advantage of the second CPU on this motherboard. I really hate doing Windows installs because they can take hours and if there's an error you usually have to start over again and if the same error keeps occurring you have to figure out why and fix it before you can start the install process again. I hate that Microsoft put product activation in XP because it prevents you from simply migrating drives between machines. That brings up a point, though. What do enterprise users do with their machines that have hot swappable drives when they have to move a drive to another machine for whatever reason? Do they have to reactivate every time or do Windows versions for businesses allow swapping of hard drives without having to call and beg Microsoft's permission first?

Reply 13 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
bushwack wrote:

From the reviews I am seeing it mixes it up with the GeForce SDR/DDR cards pretty well apart from the fact that they are DX7 cards and the MAXX is only DX6 and has no T&L support. It does support a slightly higher OpenGL specification, but I doubt the changes between the two versions amount to much. The machine I am putting it in is cobbled together from other machines which is why I have 98 on a dual CPU motherboard, because it was easier to move the hard drive with 98 already installed than to format another drive and do a 2K/XP install though that monumental task ultimately awaits me as I need it to take advantage of the second CPU on this motherboard. I really hate doing Windows installs because they can take hours and if there's an error you usually have to start over again and if the same error keeps occurring you have to figure out why and fix it before you can start the install process again. I hate that Microsoft put product activation in XP because it prevents you from simply migrating drives between machines. That brings up a point, though. What do enterprise users do with their machines that have hot swappable drives when they have to move a drive to another machine for whatever reason? Do they have to reactivate every time or do Windows versions for businesses allow swapping of hard drives without having to call and beg Microsoft's permission first?

No, big corporations get a license for like 50 computers with one CD and one key. Their version of Windows does not require activation and as usually their systems are identical (IF they are identical), moving installs around shouldn't be too difficult.

That said, this is not how a system admin would handle the OS. Usually they will install it on one rig, then copy complete installs to all other rigs by network or by simply copying an image from a mother install, something along those lines.
If you're looking for further info about this version of XP, then I'd suggest you do a google search for "XP VLK" or similar 😉

Edit:
Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volume_license_key

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

By modifying the setupx.dll file from the Windows 98 install it wont ask for a serial again, and install normally.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 16 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

Cmon guys, isnt it exciting to see "getting ready to run windows 98 for the first time" every single time you reinstall it? 😁

Not when it's the fifth time you've installed it and you keep getting the same BSOD before you even get to see the desktop. 😜

Reply 17 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wanna hear about stuttering problems with this card. I tried one once and UT99 was not as smooth as the framerate would suggest. I think their AFR rendering had some problems back then. I'm curious how it works with more games.

Reply 19 of 23, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I wanna hear about stuttering problems with this card. I tried one once and UT99 was not as smooth as the framerate would suggest. I think their AFR rendering had some problems back then. I'm curious how it works with more games.

I've not tried it in UT99 (yet) but in a ton of other games I've played I've experienced no AFR stutter issues.