VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a motherboard from an OEM like HP, Compaq, or IBM and that motherboard was also sold as a retail motherboard, can you swap the BIOS chip from the retail version into the OEM motherboard? OEM BIOS usually lock out options that you can access from the retail version of the same motherboard which is why I am asking. So if you can find the identical retail BIOS, would it work or is there more to it than just swapping the BIOS chip?

Reply 1 of 2, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Some of the OEM motherboards, HP and Compaq being the worst about it, used modified versions of boards, similar to retail versions but not close enough... they're often configured just slightly differently so that a retail BIOS won't work, and sometimes even using a different BIOS chip that's too small to take a full BIOS (and soldered on so you can't easily change the chip).

But, if you can confirm that a board is otherwise identical to a retail version, then crossflashing can probably be done. I've put retail BIOSes on several Gateway and eMachines boards... in fact, I'm using such a board in my main system.

Reply 2 of 2, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's good because I cracked open a machine a while back and stripped it before disposing of the carcass and it had an Asus P5A-B motherboard inside that I've been wanting to do something with. I'm pretty sure it came out of a Compaq or Acer machine.