VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Yes, but you may feel somewhat snuggly and satisfied that you can "increase" the speed anytime you want to make it run at it's full potential.

And it's like uh..."you-have-the-more-powerful-stuff-to-run-a-simpler-system" kind of feeling...something like you have a killer beast, that is under your control, and despite the fact that it can ram through anything, you jyst keep that power in your leash....and you can always release it when required...kind of feeling...hard to describe...

Am I even making any sense here?... 🤣

Intel knows how you feel with their "speedstep", but they do the work for you. My i5 is 3.3 CPU, but clocks down to 1.6 while idle and bumps up to 3.8 under loads that only requires 2 cores.

Reply 21 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
Alright, the pictures : […]
Show full quote

Alright, the pictures :

The system - my trusty P133 casing with add-on stickers :

Ever seen an AT casing with USB? 😉 :

(I removed the bracket from a USB connector and fixed it to the LPT1/25-pin connector opening.)

The ventilation :

There is a slot cooler behind that huge fan - the only outlet of air from within the case.

The temp. with the case opened at 20mins runtime :

And the temperature after closing the case, 15mins later :

O...m...f...g that fan is hUUUge!!!

After you closed the case, is that huge fan still inside it?

Looking at your BIOS screens I can see the difference between CPU temps and ambient temps is only 6c, which is pretty good 😉
The only other thing is, if you're going to be gaming the rest of your hardware may start producing more heat and the case temps may slowly rise.

And your case looks pretty good! It has Intel, AMD, NVidia and even 3DFX inside! 😜
And the colors of your CDROM drive and front bezel match perfectly too 😁

Btw, what kind of PSU are you using? On the pic with the huge fan it looks as if theres some wire mesh visible on the top of the PSU?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the huge fan will be inside the case when closed. Hardly any noise because of the very low rpm - 738 rpm as shown in the bios - the connector is directly connected to the motherboard's chassis fan connector.

The PSU is an ATX one (I think it's a 500W PSU - didn't have other spares last time when building it) and you may have noticed that one of the PSU's fans is facing the top. Using a an ATX-AT convertor cable whoch comes with the AT switch, which is connected to the casing.

EDIT : The CD-ROM drive is a 6X Toshiba IDE drive.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 23 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I forgot to mention, your 5v line seems a bit low @4.6v...hope that doesn't cause any weird problems (and it could also just be a false reading?).

Btw, you have both EDO and SDRAM in your board?
What board are you using btw (it's amazing you can't even see your motherboard with the case open 🤣! Only see a tiny spec of it 😁 )

Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I forgot to mention, your 5v line seems a bit low @4.6v...hope that doesn't cause any weird problems (and it could also just be a false reading?).

Btw, you have both EDO and SDRAM in your board?
What board are you using btw (it's amazing you can't even see your motherboard with the case open 🤣! Only see a tiny spec of it 😁 )

Yeah maybe a false reading. The PSU has support for -5v rail, and I can play LA sounds using the CM-500 and MT-32 with Sierra games supporting intelligent MPU-401 standard using the MQ PC-MIDI card. LAPC-I works too.

This is a EPOX MVP3C2 Motherboard.

EP-MVP3C2.jpg

Reply 25 of 31, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bushwack wrote:

Did overclocking actually kill it though, for a fact? I've had a Jetway mobo die on me just 2 months after I bought it, no overclocking involved what so ever. Damn thing just wasn't capable. 😜

The board ran fine 24x7 as a proxy server for 2-3 years prior to it's overclocking misadventure. The VRM's on the board had a crap ton of airflow on them too. I blame the OC for the board's death.

Anyways, back to the original topic, I see Malik has added one of the proprietary 200+ mm case fans to the inside of his computer. That should do very nicely.

Malik, any chance you got that 3Dfx sticker recently? I've looked around and cannot find any of them for the life of me. I'm going to have to get creative one of these days I think.

Reply 26 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SavantStrike wrote:

Malik, any chance you got that 3Dfx sticker recently? I've looked around and cannot find any of them for the life of me. I'm going to have to get creative one of these days I think.

I got it quite recently via ebay from a German seller. But can't remember if it's more than or less than 6 months.

Reply 27 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
SavantStrike wrote:

I got it quite recently via ebay from a German seller. But can't remember if it's more than or less than 6 months.

I do recall having seen one on Ebay a while ago. Dunno if they are still available though.

Report spammers here!

Reply 29 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Still on ebay as of today....

Off topic:

Just looked at your rig from your signature, and remember the one posted by DonutKing?

It seems everyone is putting my own rig to shame L O L! (even though I still like my more minimalistic approach 😀 )

Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 31, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Just looked at your rig from your signature, and remember the one posted by DonutKing?

It seems everyone is putting my own rig to shame L O L! (even though I still like my more minimalistic approach 😀 )

There was a period, sometime 02-05 where garish rigs were all the rage- I was trying to capture that in my Prescott build.

However, we but have one rig 😢 , whereas you have a whole attic! 😁

Reply 31 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

There was a period, sometime 02-05 where garish rigs were all the rage- I was trying to capture that in my Prescott build.

However, we but have one rig 😢 , whereas you have a whole attic! 😁

You only have 1 rig? 😳

I just love building new systems, though it kinda comes in waves. One time I'll be in my attic all the time for a couple months, then a couple months I'll kinda not care enough or something.
Hopefully when the attic is finally done, I can start doing the hardware thing again without not finding stuff all the time 😀

Report spammers here!