VOGONS

First post, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Inspired by siderider's thread about the dual 7800 video card, I felt the need to post up something I've searched for for YEARS but never have found. That being said, I did have a "close call". On another forum, I got PM from someone in Germany saying that he had an Asus P/I-P65UP8 motherboard with the C-P6ND dual Pentium pro daughter card.

Now I own its little brother, the P/I-P65UP5 with Dual Pentium pro's. In fact is is my motherboard of choice for my late/dos early windows gaming setup. (voodoo 1 era) I've watched eBay and the local scrapper for YEARS for even a hint of a p65up8 and I've always come up empty. So you can imagine the blue-balls I had when opening up a picture of the board only to see that it was NOT a p65up8 but the p65up5. The P65up5 and UP8 use the same daughter cards. They came in 3 flavors:

C-P55T2D - dual socket 7 (133-233)
C-P6ND - dual socket 8 (overdrive capable)
C-PKND - dual slot 1 (233-333)

ANYWAY, for the the inaugural post of the "things I will probably never own but would kill for" I present to the uninitiated, the Asus P/I-P65UP8:

http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/asus/P65UP8.htm

(and if anyone has one for sale, please let me know)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I will never own the Socket 4 Pentium Overdrive 🙁

Oh well...I can manage 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

A Voodoo 5 6000 would be cool to have laying around 😜

true, but I was thinking more along the lines of something you will never FIND. Every collector has their white wale. While a V5-6000 would be nice there are quite a few of then around. you just need MONEY. They hit ebay about twice a year it seems. The point I was trying to convey was, "I have the money, I just cant find one to buy!" Like tetriums socket 4 overdrive.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I figured it out after I had made the post. I've got a few games I've been looking for years and can't seem to find in boxed versions, like Gex (yeah the first one), Shogo M.A.D and Croc Legend of the Gobbos. I only find rereleases or CD Only auctions on ebay 🙁.

As regards hardware, I don't have anything special in need. I've wanted a working 8086/8088 class machine but they're not so easy to find here in Greece and ebay is really not an option with the postage costs!

Reply 7 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sure if I think hard enough I'll remember something from the 80's or 90's that I wanted but couldn't afford but it's too early and I haven't had coffee yet.

A complete in it's original case ALR Revolution 6x6 would be nice, though. I've only ever seen homemade machines, never one in it's official housing. There's photos online but I've never seen one up close. It's like seeing pictures of Bigfoot. You'll never know for sure until you see it up close and in person.

Reply 9 of 47, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I badly wanted a cheat cartridge for the C64. I could get one now but I don't care anymore 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 47, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Such a thing may exist, though I've never seen one. But even if one does exist, it wouldn't work in the GXPro anyway... the risers are model specific. And the 440FX chipset in the GXPro doesn't support AGP at all, so there's that too.

Reply 12 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyway, to get back on topic:
One chip I'll most likely never own is the Cyrix III, the one Cyrix designed for Socket 370 and was only released as prototype before VIA cancelled it and used the Winchip design for it's C3 (The VIA Cyrix III Samuel core that eventually got released is based on the Winchip design, not on Cyrix's Joshua core).

swaaye wrote:

Actually if you think about it P4 was more competitive against A64 than Phenom II is right now against i3-i7. 😉 And also modern quad / hexa cores are about as hot as Prescott but we have much better heatsinks now and the Cool'n'Quiet/Speedstep stuff really reigns in the off peak power.

Too bad they didn't release Tejas 🤣, that would've been a real oven 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess the hardware I still want has never been made. Well maybe an unlocked E.S. Mendocino core Celeron would be good to have.

Robin4 wrote:

I would like to have an audiotrixx soundcard.. But its so hard to get that..

Happy owner here.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 16 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

I guess the hardware I still want has never been made. Well maybe an unlocked E.S. Mendocino core Celeron would be good to have.

Robin4 wrote:

I would like to have an audiotrixx soundcard.. But its so hard to get that..

Happy owner here.

Pics of your collection? 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Well, it is not like I gathered such a large amount of hardware. Just what I think actually adds something to my retro gaming and retro tweaking experience. I will keep in mind to make some pictures when I have time.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 18 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Well, it is not like I gathered such a large amount of hardware. Just what I think actually adds something to my retro gaming and retro tweaking experience. I will keep in mind to make some pictures when I have time.

In the end it's not about quantity but about quality...it's just that I like having a 'few' spare parts 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 47, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me, an MT-32. They just seem to be outside my price range. The same with a GUS.

For a truly unobtainable chip though, I have a feeling Intel had normal desktop Pentium MMX chips in the lab that may have run at 266mhz, but they never got as far as to send engineering samples of them out as the PII was around the corner. One of them, and a 430HX board which supports 4x multipliers.

Or an attractive 8 or 10 bay AT case with a three piece side panel design rather than the single U shaped side panel that is oh so common, and at a price that doesn't cost a fortune. And I mean true AT, not just ATX that supports AT.