Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chewhacca wrote:
Dant wrote:
Ask, and you shall receive. […]
Show full quote
SavantStrike wrote:

Or an attractive 8 or 10 bay AT case with a three piece side panel design rather than the single U shaped side panel that is oh so common, and at a price that doesn't cost a fortune. And I mean true AT, not just ATX that supports AT.

Ask, and you shall receive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-BAY-FULL-TOWER-SERVER- … =item51939ec0fd

I personally would kill for one of those NCR Worldmark 4380s

That's an 8-CPU PPro machine that can take up to 8GB of EDO DIMMs and has 10 or 15 PCI slots and 4 EISA slots... Good enough? I've found where NCR seems to be selling some old stock of them... but it's not completely worth the 10 grand they're asking for it...

I ordered an 8-bay from those guys in May and it still hasn't arrived yet.

Where do you live? Shipping wait times all over the world are all screwed up since the terrorists shipped the explosives in those toner cartridges a while back. Everything has to be screened now.

Reply 41 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
sliderider wrote:

That's weird seeing a Slot 1 motherboard without an AGP slot. Google for pictures of the Shuttle HOT-623, the ABit AN6, AOpen AX6F and the Tyan S1682. Was 440FX a server chipset?

440FX is the desktop/workstation chipset for PPro and Klamath PII. It was primarily for Pentium Pro but was used for the Klamath PII chips for a short while until 440LX came out.

At least they had PCI video cards that were current back then, not like later PCI/PCI-X only motherboards where the PCI cards that were available were far behind the top of the line AGP and PCIe. You'd likely want to avoid one of those boards for a gaming machine, though, and get a slightly newer one with AGP so you have more video cards to choose from.

Reply 42 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

You'd likely want to avoid one of those boards for a gaming machine, though, and get a slightly newer one with AGP so you have more video cards to choose from.

440LX brought UDMA33, AGP, usable USB, and SDRAM support. Major improvement. Definitely avoid 440FX for Pentium IIs.

Reply 43 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

440FX is the desktop/workstation chipset for PPro and Klamath PII. It was primarily for Pentium Pro but was used for the Klamath PII chips for a short while until 440LX came out.

I once found a Slot 1 FX board. First and only Slot 1 board I ever saw that used SIMM slots? I still kick myself for not having gotten it as it was tossed out before I had the chance to seize it -_-

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44 of 47, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
swaaye wrote:

I once found a Slot 1 FX board. First and only Slot 1 board I ever saw that used SIMM slots? I still kick myself for not having gotten it as it was tossed out before I had the chance to seize it -_-

Worth buying? There's one offered to me for sale (actually a whole system) for $10.

Reply 45 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Worth buying? There's one offered to me for sale (actually a whole system) for $10.

If I had the chance, I'd buy it (depending on extra costs like shipping costs).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 46 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

When I bought my Pentium II 233 in 1997, I bought a board called the Megatrends FX83A. This is a rebranded tweaker version of the Supermicro P6SKE-II, a huge workstation 440FX Slot 1 board that in an older version came with both Slot 1 and Socket 8. The Megatrends version had 75 and 83 MHz FSB support.

P6SKE rev 1 with both CPU options. It uses separate BIOS files for PPro and PII.
3201927492_b3d433c3d2.jpg

Unfortunately both revisions have wonky PCI that causes font and mouse cursor corruption with most graphics cards. S3 PCI chips actually lock up almost instantly once the drivers are installed.

On the other hand my Intel VS440FX for PPro is awesome. 😀 Well aside from the long memory counting POST. Tetrium you probably like yours as well, right?