VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit: Solved. Please see my 3rd post.

I've spent a couple of hours wondering why testing hasn't worked well with 5.25" FDDs. I changed everything, and still my tests were failing. I tried:

Three different 5.25" drives
Three different cables! **
2 original 5.25 diskettes
2 blank 5.25 media diskettes

** My reason for doing these tests in the first place was to test a pack of FDD cables.

For every attempt summarised above, the freeware disk copying software called VGACOPY would read lots of "weak" sectors, and then write lots of "weak" sectors. After each read+write operation had completed, the blank media disk could not be properly examined by scandisk.exe.

After trying everything, I simply replaced the mobo. I replaced it with an older socket 7 mobo. All the hardware and software summarised above now works. BTW, yes I did have the A: drive BIOS setting set to "5.25 / 1.2MB".

So, if there are any Epox 8KTA3(+)Pro owners out there with a 5.25" FDD, maybe double check this? Perhaps you can think of a time in the past when you tried a 5.25" drive with this Epox mobo, and it didn't work. Well, if that happened, it may not have been a malfunctioning FDD drive!

Edit: Perhaps this problem is occuring because the CPU is a 2000+ rated (~1.6 GHz clock speed) and is too fast, and also because the FSB is 133, which could be too fast?

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2011-06-26, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3.5" FDDs definitely work OK, although tomorrow morning, I will double-check this by testing one with the VGACOPY utility. I'll post back tomorrow morning with the results. I am confident that it will work OK.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Edit: Perhaps this problem is occuring because the CPU is a 2000+ rated (~1.6 GHz clock speed) and is too fast, and also because the FSB is 133, which could be too fast?

This sounds very unlikely to me though.

First thing you should try is to try both drives and disks on a totally different board.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved! To my surprise, when I ran the utility "VGACOPY" on the Epox mobo with a 3.5" FDD, it didn't work correctly. The same problem occured when I used the 5.25" FDD - that is, when the 3.5" diskette was being read, it read many "weak sectors".

I went to the Epox's BIOS, and dropped the CPU's multiplier down from 13x to 6x, thus greatly reducing the speed of the CPU. And that fixed the problem! I think the utility "VGACOPY" is unable to function when the CPU is running very fast. The thing is, if I run the CPU with a multiplier of 13x, the 3.5" FDD behaves normally. I can boot up with it, and I can successfully run scandisk.exe on it.

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Solved! To my surprise, when I ran the utility "VGACOPY" on the Epox mobo with a 3.5" FDD, it didn't work correctly. The same problem occured when I used the 5.25" FDD - that is, when the 3.5" diskette was being read, it read many "weak sectors".

I went to the Epox's BIOS, and dropped the CPU's multiplier down from 13x to 6x, thus greatly reducing the speed of the CPU. And that fixed the problem! I think the utility "VGACOPY" is unable to function when the CPU is running very fast. The thing is, if I run the CPU with a multiplier of 13x, the 3.5" FDD behaves normally. I can boot up with it, and I can successfully run scandisk.exe on it.

But that would mean the 5.25 drives would also need to function properly?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

It might be time to disassemble the offending program and see which timings are being affected by the higher clock speed and making an appropriate adjustment, assuming you know how to do that sort of thing. The resulting tweaked file would no doubt be of great use to anyone else who wants to use a 5.25" drive with a very fast machine in the future.