VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm finding that my 386 is giving a display output that seems to "shimmer" sometimes in some places. Like the effect of hot air rising from a tarmac road.

I'm using a few KVMs but when I swap the 386 to the other cable of the KVM pair it is on, there is no change. Meanwhile putting a different PC onto the 386's position, does not lead to the effect on the other PC. So I conclude the is not a fundamental problem with the KVM or cabling.

I didn't get this effect a few weeks back so I wondered if I needed to reseat the vga card [tried that] or move it to a different slot such as away from the NIC [tried that].

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Spec is:

ISA386C
Diamond Speedstar [Tseng ET4000AX]
3C509 NIC
GUS Max + CDROM
SB2
SW60XG
5.25, 3.5 FDD's
HDD
20mb RAM

Last edited by ratfink on 2011-07-01, 11:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you use a TFT? Maybe it doesn't get the color phase right when converting the analog signal.
Tried already a different monitor?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 17, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You say you reseated the card, but you may want to try pulling it out and cleaning all the contacts... take a pencil eraser to the ISA fingers, and also pull any socketed chips and clean the pins on those.

Reply 5 of 17, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you said you're using a KVM... have you tried plugging the monitor directly into the computer? my experience with KVMs is that they always cause weird issues

it's obvious what you're using is signal degradation/noise... so I'd eliminate any of the possibilities first... take KVM out of the chain, use a shorter/better quality cable, keep your things away from strong magnetic fields, etc

Reply 6 of 17, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not to panic you but my Voodoo 2 boards always do that just before they croak. However there are lots of possible reasons, trying it without the kvm would be the best thing to do.

Reply 7 of 17, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm now you mention Voodoo2 I remember I have box with V5 and V2 in it that was giving "crawlies" on the desktop. I thought I tracked that down to being on at the same time as my Phenom box next to it [or maybe it went away when it warmed up; or maybe it was the desktop resolution .... yeah maybe I didn't track it down 😜]. But there's no problem with the voodoo box today so I wonder if the crawlies went away when I re-arranged these kvm's. I'll try two things - a different card in my 386, and if that doesn't work I'll shift it to the monitor on our family PC in the other room.

Edit: got same effects with another video card.

Last edited by ratfink on 2011-07-01, 09:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd be looking at the VGA cables. Make sure they are thick ones of good quality!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 17, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing powered or magnetic, like speakers, or another PC, thats near the monitor, particularly around the back? My CRT's get an effect similar to what you are describing if I have my powered speakers too close to the monitor.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to add another suggestion, could this somehow be related to the screen itself?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 17, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm well... the screen is used for 4-5 pc's wired up like spaghetti . Usually they are ok, it's just the 386 that's having the trouble.

The phenom is on input 1 [direct to screen] and the other 4 are on belkin 2-pc kvm cables attached to an old fashioned kvm switch which is on input 2. Always been surprised this setup works works, but until now it's been fine. It basically means I can use 3 pc's at once on the monitor [i think i should not flick the old-style switch between kvm cables when anything is on, to be on the safe side]. There is a sony powered speaker behind the monitor and the usual reams of network and power cables... the pc's are stood 2-high, a few inches apart. Nothing else magnetic/etc anywhere nearby.

This second card in the 386 makes it look like the screen is made of water, constant rippling across it.

edit - swapped the 386 to the other belkin kvm cable, all fine. Put the 386 direct to the old kvm switch that the suspect one was routed into, no problem. tried 386 in either position on the suspect belkin kvm cable, both give problems. conclusion - belkin kvm is not working. and yes i fully disentangled it from all othe cables first.

These belkin cables are more than just connectors as you use scroll-lock-up-up or scroll-lock-down-down to switch between pc's on them. I guess something inside is bust or breaking down. I'm guessing this is not repairable but if anyone has advice to offer feel free. I wonder if I can get another ps/2-based one these days even.

I'll swap the 386 with a pc on the other belkin cable, see if that shows anything.

Reply 12 of 17, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

conclusion - belkin kvm is not working.

Oh... yeah, that's pretty much the norm for Belkin KVMs, in my experience at least.

You can get PS/2 KVMs dirt cheap on eBay these days, as long as you don't want DVI or USB or anything in addition. Even the higher-end multiport rackmount ones can be had for $30 or less if you watch. A lot of them don't come with cables, but those can be had fairly cheap from some of the Chinese eBay sellers.

Reply 14 of 17, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd suspect that the GF2 might be the outlier. Those cards tend to have overzealous filtering on the output, which is normally a bad thing because it causes a blurry picture, but in this case, it might be filtering out whatever frequencies are causing interference in the KVM's circuitry, thereby covering up the problem.

Reply 16 of 17, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

I wonder if I can get another ps/2-based one these days even.

I can vouch for IOGEAR's ps/2 version. Same switching by tapping Scroll-Lock twice. Absolutely no troubles on my daily machines, for I guess what must be five years now? Image quality is identical to without, and it's nearly as cheap as the pot-luck Chinese ones floating around.

Looks just like this one.
http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS62/

Very minor detail - it doesn't like being hung in free space. Which is fair enough. Mine is wired to a plate to keep from being jiggled loose in the cable mess.

Reply 17 of 17, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I have one of those IOGear things as well. Yeah, it's pretty decent. I personally don't really care for the permanently attached cables, though, since it makes wire management kind of a pain.