VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In exchange for helping someone debug an old (socket 7 generation) computer (used for controlling some modelling tool, so pretty business-critical), I got an incomplete HP Vectra VE 5/75 system (no FDD/HDD, but other than that fully functional) to play with. Here's what I found so far:

[1] (CPU): 5/75 and 5/90 models share the same mainboard; there is a "CPU Voltage Selection Jumper" - position "Vcc" is for the 75MHz Pentium, position "Vr" is for 90MHz and position "Vre" is undocumented (I'm not sure how voltage is relevant here - as far as I know, 75MHz and 90MHz Pentiums are not different in this aspect). There's also a jumper for FSB selection (50, 60 or 66 MHz) - I have a 90MHz Pentium somewhere, and I'd also be curious to try 100, but see point [2] below...

[2] (cache): there is a "Memory Cache" option in BIOS, which seems to affect L1 cache on the CPU - when disabled, the 75MHz Pentium benchmarks like a 386DX. There is also a cache slot on the mainboard, currently populated with a "terminator" which, according to the little documentation found on HP's site, comes in different part numbers for 75 and 90MHz (I cannot tell which one I have - the part number on it is not listed in that PDF). I hope I'll come across a 256KB cache module, in which case CPU frequency is not relevant. What's weird is that NSSI detects 512KB of cache...

[3] (RAM): the PDF recommends populating all four slots with same-size SIMMs for maximum performance (interleaved memory operation) - however, my system will not POST with 4*8MB (tried several pairs, all good); it does work with 2*8+2*16 though...

[4] (other): it has a VLSI chipset, four ISA (no PCI) slots on a riser/backplane card and the infamous CMD640 IDE chip (only one connector though, so I shouldn't have to worry about the "access-both-channels-simultaneously" bug)

The system also contained a CT2230 Sound Blaster 16 card, regarding which I could also use some help:
- according to stason.org, it has jumpers for setting the I/O address, but not for IRQ; is it PnP or not?
- it has a 40 pin proprietary connector for Creative CD-ROM units, and I think I have one around (E2550UA); can I use a regular IDE cable to connect it to the card? in such situations (proprietary connectors), do drivers come with the card or with the CD drive? I see that Funai provides drivers for several models except those Creative-branded: http://www.funaiusa.com/down_load.htm
- which drivers from the Creative driver thread work with it?
- what is the ASP chip used for? (slot is empty on my card, but it doesn't hurt to know 😀)

Thank you.

Last edited by iulianv on 2011-07-11, 09:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's add another point to the list of weird stuff about this system...

[5] I tried to test some HDDs with MHDD - well, I couldn't; no matter which IDE controller I use (on-board or ISA card), MHDD would always identify the drive wrongly (like 0MB in size or 6MB cache, always non-human-readable model/firmware) and would either refuse running because the drive "doesn't support LBA", or sometimes completely disable the IDE port "for your safety".

Other than that, the BIOS detects the drives just fine - I'll try installing DOS/Win3x on one of them, to see what happens.

Reply 2 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About the RAM, it "might" be that the system doesn't like many double sided SIMMs?

And if you have a spare >= Pentium 133 laying around, you might as well use one of those. Pentiums >= 133Mhz were made using a smaller process and thus produce less heat (even though I realize this should pose hardly any problems, if any).
The VRE was used on many Pentium 166's (3.52v instead of the usual 3.3v).

And VLSI chipset is odd, iirc that was usually for servers and maybe workstations. Not for consumer computers

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 10, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, DOS and WfW installed just fine... I think I'll keep the system as it is (P75) for now, and use it for DOS gaming, while trying to complete it with some missing small parts (cache module, FDD/HDD mounting kits, front logo bezel (it has one from a VL 5/90 Series 3 now)). After I get bored I'll probably donate it, so currently there are no special pieces in its configuration (2*4+2*8MB of RAM, 2GB NEC HDD with a suspected bad block/sector that's very difficult to find, RTL8019AS NIC and ES1868F sound).

Next thing on the TODO list is to decide whether to install the CMD640 IDE drivers or not (available both for DOS and for Win3.11) - I know how to recover Windows from a badly installed network or video driver, but not IDE 😀. I also don't know if it's worth bothering (performance-wise)... Pretty much the same thoughts apply for the ICU (ISA Configuration Utility, that also seems to provide some sort of PnP driver).

Reply 4 of 10, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
About the RAM, it "might" be that the system doesn't like many double sided SIMMs? […]
Show full quote

About the RAM, it "might" be that the system doesn't like many double sided SIMMs?

And if you have a spare >= Pentium 133 laying around, you might as well use one of those. Pentiums >= 133Mhz were made using a smaller process and thus produce less heat (even though I realize this should pose hardly any problems, if any).
The VRE was used on many Pentium 166's (3.52v instead of the usual 3.3v).

And VLSI chipset is odd, iirc that was usually for servers and maybe workstations. Not for consumer computers

If the 166's used VRE, what was the core voltage on them?

I do recall now that the 133 and higher used a smaller process, and actually the 120 was different in some way too. I think that only part of the die was shrank too, which is unusual.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:

3.52v. The Pentium classic is single rail

It's basically a factory overclock

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do recall now that the 133 and higher used a smaller process, and actually the 120 was different in some way too. I think that only part of the die was shrank too, which is unusual.

There were actually three voltage specifications for the various P54 chips... STD, VR, and VRE. Technically, STD denotes a range of ~3.15-3.6V (basically 3.3V nominal with pretty loose tolerances), VR is for 3.3-3.45 (3.38V nominal with fairly tight tolerances), and VRE is for 3.45-3.6V. However, many boards just simplified things down to two settings: 3.3V, usually noted as STD/VR, or 3.45V, for VRE.

I think all the P54 chips were listed generically as 3.3V chips, even the ones that used 3.45V. The actual voltage probably depended on the stepping, but I'm not sure. I know it was just as confusing back then as it is now, and you pretty much had to look at the particular chip you had and set it according to how it was marked.

You're right that 120mhz and higher chips used a smaller process, 0.35 micron... I think it was 0.6 micron for the <120mhz ones.

Reply 7 of 10, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure how accurate the info on this site is, but it seems that there should be no difference in voltage settings between P75 and P90:

http://www.cpu-collection.de/?tn=0&l0=co&l1=I … 2=Pentium%20P54

Anyway, I also have a P90 at home - one of these days I'll try it to see what happens...

Now, coming back to the issue list about the Vectra, I tested the CMD IDE drivers yesterday - there seems to be a difference in performance (I now have the "use 32bit disk access" option available in Windows), but the system seems to have become unstable (it happened several times that the computer froze just after exiting Windows, with only a blinking text-mode cursor on a blank screen). So I left the Windows drivers out, and just kept the DOS one in CONFIG.SYS...

I also tested MP3 playing - VBR (over 200kbps average) on P75 sounds much better than 128kbps on DX2/66, but still it's not continuous. I wonder how much the absence of L2 cache matters for MP3 playing...

Reply 8 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be careful with that CMD IDE chip, it was infamous for data corruption problems.

I'm not sure about the 75mhz chips, but I know 90mhz and up can be either 3.3 or 3.45V chips. Though for the most part it was 100mhz and up that used VRE.

Reply 9 of 10, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did some reading about CMD640's data corruption issue, and apparently it only occured when trying to access both IDE channels at once; since I only have one IDE connector onboard, I assume I only have one IDE channel, so I should be clear of the infamous bug 😀.

My P90 is this one - http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SX/SX968.html

Reply 10 of 10, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update 😀: I just tested four cache modules of different timings, one of them HP-branded (not the exact model for this Vectra, but pretty close as far as I could find) - the system would not POST with any of them.

And not only it would not POST, it wouldn't even show any signs of power-up (like lit front-panel LEDs or spinning PSU fan) - is that normal behaviour in case of wrong or malfunctioning cache module? The system boots just fine with or without the cache terminator...