VOGONS

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm interesting in knowing what the 16 CGA colors look like, when translated into 16 shades of grey / green / amber.

it was common in the mid-late '80s (at least around these parts), on budget XT clones, to have a dual-mode CGA/MDA card + a monochrome green monitor that accepted both signals. That was the combination on the first PC I used (the card was also software-switchable between CGA/MDA modes).

DOSBox doesn't emulate this kind of thing, so i've thought of tackling a patch myself... but here's the catch, I can't be sure about the correspondence between each CGA color and the resulting shade of grey (or green, or amber).
I found one image on the web HERE. On this particular display the low-intensity colors look almost the same as the high-intensity ones except for color 6.
it's quite possible that the appearance differed depending on the card or manufacturer though.

Does yours work differently?
If possible, can you run one of those test/calibration programs that show all 16 colors, and take a picture of the screen?

thanks in advance 😀