VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I put 2 60ns memory chips inside the 2 memory upgrade sockets on a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM VLB VGA card. I switched on power, and noticed that the BIOS POST screen looked garbled. A couple of seconds later, I could smell burning. I switched off the PC, and examined everything. I could not see any burn marks anywhere.

I then touched the 2 memory upgrade chips, and they were extremely hot. The smell must have been the air around the chips getting extremely hot. My mistake was to insert the 2 memory chips using the wrong orientation. I then put the memory chips in the right orientation, as seen in the photo below. Everything now works. I was lucky I didn't break anything.

Even though the writing on the memory upgrade chips is not in the same direction as the writing on the "built in" memory chips, this is the correct orientation, as seen in the photo below. Initially, that is what confused me, and I think it is an easy mistake to make for a newbie who has not upgraded many old video cards. The "ringed circle" on one of the memory upgrade chips shows that the tiny circle on the chip "points to" the corner notch on the socket.
chips1.jpg

I like this S3 Trio64 based card. The output quality is surprisingly good, and it works without any problem at a mobo bus speed of 50 MHz. I like the simple looking layout.
diam.jpg

Reply 1 of 14, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now, I don't have this exact card but I have a trio64 card and I can tell you that on my card the chips get hot, but I have never smelt any burning smell coming from it.

Last edited by dosquest on 2011-07-03, 19:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My mistake was to insert the 2 memory chips using the wrong orientation. I then put the memory chips in the right orientation, as seen in the photo below. Everything now works. I was lucky I didn't break anything.

Well, in hindsight you should have checked closer before powering it on, but honestly I wouldn't really say it's your fault... that would be an easy mistake to make on that card. I can't recall ever having seen a card with the memory facing two different directions like that, and it seems like kind of a dumb layout.

Reply 3 of 14, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once I'd been experimenting on an old 286 board with the ram being in DIL sockets. It also had some parity chips, which I've been removing and replacing, and on another moment I realize they're getting too hot. I then switched of the system, and saw that I had placed them wrong, just like RG100.

Reply 4 of 14, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

good thing nothing bad happened

one time I was messing around with my OAK VGA card (what a POS) because my 386 wouldn't boot and the video card was just a flaky POS..... I flipped the even and odd bios chips around... turned it on... the chips started smoking after a few seconds... nearly burned a hole through one! 🤣

this was almost 20 years ago... but had I not do that, I would've never upgraded to a ATI Graphics Pro Turbo 😀

Reply 5 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I put 2 60ns memory chips inside the 2 memory upgrade sockets on a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM VLB VGA card. I switched on power, and noticed that the BIOS POST screen looked garbled. A couple of seconds later, I could smell burning. I switched off the PC, and examined everything. I could not see any burn marks anywhere.

I then touched the 2 memory upgrade chips, and they were extremely hot. The smell must have been the air around the chips getting extremely hot. My mistake was to insert the 2 memory chips using the wrong orientation. I then put the memory chips in the right orientation, as seen in the photo below. Everything now works. I was lucky I didn't break anything.

You must be the luckiest destroyer of hardware there is. Even if you burn stuff, it refuses to die! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 14, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

It may die later

Oh dear, that's unfortunate. When you say that it may die later, what do you mean by "it"? Do you mean -

a) Just the video card. (The memory chips are left inside the memory sockets)
b) Just the video card. (The memory chips are removed from the memory sockets)
c) Just the 2 memory chips
d) The video card and also the 2 memory chips. (In other words, everything.)

Please can you explain why "it" may die later? Thanks a lot.

Reply 8 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Oh dear, that's unfortunate. When you say that it may die later, what do you mean by "it"? Do you mean - […]
Show full quote
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

It may die later

Oh dear, that's unfortunate. When you say that it may die later, what do you mean by "it"? Do you mean -

When you smell smoke, it usually implies some damage has taken place. The damage may not be obvious now, but may become evident at a later date.

Reply 9 of 14, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:
Oh dear, that's unfortunate. When you say that it may die later, what do you mean by "it"? Do you mean - […]
Show full quote
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

It may die later

When you smell smoke, it usually implies some damage has taken place. The damage may not be obvious now, but may become evident at a later date.

This right here.

Smoke is NEVER a good sign.

I have a feeling if anything were to fail, it would be the memory chips which were inserted backwards, but it could also include the vrm circuitry on the video card that feeds the chips. Depending on how that goes, you could lose the board.

Chances are very good if anything happens, it will happen in the next month, or it will take years. Retro rigs don't get as much use as an everyday driver, so what would normally fail within a year might take ten years. I'd also bet if it does fail, removing the offending memory may solve the problem.

Reply 11 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Probably only the memory chips.

They usually say something like this in the chip datasheets:

Absolute maximum ratings: -0.3..6V

Stress beyond these values can cause permanent damage.

You gave them -5V.

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:
Probably only the memory chips. […]
Show full quote

Probably only the memory chips.

They usually say something like this in the chip datasheets:

Absolute maximum ratings: -0.3..6V

Stress beyond these values can cause permanent damage.

You gave them -5V.

Don't these chips run @ 5v, just like regular memory of the time?

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

-> Absolute maximum ratings: -0.3...6V

Recommended operating conditions: 4.5...5.5V

That's the technical stuff 😉

Doh! I misread what you wrote and though you meant 0.3xx6 volts instead of {0.3v,6v} 😜

Report spammers here!