VOGONS

AWE64 Platinum deluxe

Topic actions

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CT4520 AWE64. But not a normal CT4520, as this one obviously has zero memory, and no ROM, not even connectors to allow adding of some memory. Is this the last type of SB16 that creative invented? I suppose one can only get midi music by attaching an external module.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    Filename
    front.jpg
    File size
    60.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AWE64 Platinum deluxe
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 1 of 33, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you do not need RAM to use general midi
and wavesynth works all in software anyway

so for all intents and purposes, this is just a "new version" SB32

there's no such thing as an AWE64 "platinum"
as far as the CT numbers go, I never go by what's printed on the PCB but off the FCC sticker on the back instead.... following what creative does as they have specific numbers for variant cards based on the same PCB

Reply 2 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SB32 at least had 1MB ROM.

The ISA bus is considered to slow for transferring soundbank data from system RAM to the synthesizer, it would make the music hickup.

I don't know anything about the wavesynth software, maybe that one should still work.

..."Platinum Deluxe" was a joke of mine.

The back says:

Attachments

• back.jpg
    Filename
    back.jpg
    File size
    16.73 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    backside
    File license

Reply 3 of 33, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can you make that pic about 20% bigger? I can't really read the label... the pic is a little too low res (blurry)
could the ROM chip be that one chip near the end of the card?

you should put it in and see what it can do... I'm pretty sure it can do general midi like an SB32

Reply 4 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I only spotted it on ebay, I am not really thinking of buying it. So the pictures are not mine.
The little chip on the left seems like a tiny amount of RAM (128kB), for buffering I guess. The ROM is supposed to be placed on the right of the memory upgrade connectors, a normal AWE64 has an EMU8011 ROM there.

The new thing added compared to a normal CT4520 is that black thing next to the jumper in the lower-middle of the board. Unfortunately to blurry to recognize.

Reply 5 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A few days ago I stumbled upon a picture of another weird AWE64. It is the Gold II, CT4560. Lets add it here too. It comes with an I/O board not displayed here. Image credits: Soomal.com

Attachments

• AWE64gold2.jpg
    Filename
    AWE64gold2.jpg
    File size
    63.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AWE64 Gold II
    File license

Reply 7 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No it is a sample board, never went in production.

The green PCB in the first post. I just noticed it does not say AWE64 anywhere.

Reply 8 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

Maybe it is somekind of prototype board?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

A few days ago I stumbled upon a picture of another weird AWE64. It is the Gold II, CT4560. Lets add it here too. It comes with an I/O board not displayed here. Image credits: Soomal.com

Could this be this?

From Wikipedia

"An AWE64 Mark II was also designed, and prototype boards and drivers made. This card added 4 speaker surround sound for games, and a hardware Dolby Digital decoder. The six extra phono plugs (sub/center/left rear/right rear/digital in/digital pass through) and the extra Dolby decoder chips were placed on a second board which connected to the main board via a ribbon cable. The project was dropped in favor of the Sound Blaster Live! cards due to the high expense of such a solution, and the aging ISA interface."

If you actually own one of these, I suggest not letting it get away at any price.

Reply 11 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

No it is a sample board, never went in production.

That is weird. Every other card like it says AWE on top of the big chip. The one in the pic posted here just says Creative on top. Could this maybe not be an AWE at all but something else built on an AWE 64 board?

Reply 13 of 33, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

is there really an AWE64 PCI? I never found any info or pics on them
I do own an AWE64D though which is PCI... but the unreliable wikipedia page says AWE64D is not the same as AWE64 PCI... not sure what to believe

Reply 14 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

AWE64 PCI is fascinating too. Another AWE64 offshoot that didn't get much use.

Weren't there problems with those with some games that depended on features of the ISA bus to play correctly?

Reply 15 of 33, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's why they invented SBLink, the little plug on the mobo with a wire coming from the sound card. It literally interfaces with the ISA bus.

TheMAN wrote:

I do own an AWE64D though which is PCI... but the unreliable wikipedia page says AWE64D is not the same as AWE64 PCI... not sure what to believe

I'm pretty sure that the AWE64D is the Dell version of the AWE64 PCI. It may be gimped in some way as that's usually what a Dell version entails. These are all rather uncommon versions of the series.

Reply 16 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

That's why they invented SBLink, the little plug on the mobo with a wire coming from the sound card. It literally interfaces with the ISA bus.

TheMAN wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the AWE64D is the Dell version of the AWE64 PCI. It may be gimped in some way as that's usually what a Dell version entails. These are all rather uncommon versions of the series.

What about SB PCI 128? Is that anything like AWE64 PCI?

Reply 18 of 33, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

TheMAN wrote:

no, the AWE64D was available to mom and pop shops
I bought my AWE64D from one of those shops... it says "AWE64D" on the card, no dell part numbers, stickers, or any other identifying traits its a dell card

the AWE64D did come in a few different variants... only differences I've seen were connector differences

Reply 19 of 33, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMAN wrote:
no, the AWE64D was available to mom and pop shops I bought my AWE64D from one of those shops... it says "AWE64D" on the card, no […]
Show full quote
swaaye wrote:

TheMAN wrote:

no, the AWE64D was available to mom and pop shops
I bought my AWE64D from one of those shops... it says "AWE64D" on the card, no dell part numbers, stickers, or any other identifying traits its a dell card

the AWE64D did come in a few different variants... only differences I've seen were connector differences

There where three model available CT4600 and CT4650/CT4655 how ever I never scaen a CT4655