VOGONS

ATX-case for full-AT mobo

Topic actions

First post, by Jakodemus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know is there a modern atx-case where you can mount an full size AT motherboard? I read that some Coolermaster cases should have AT-mountingholes.

Reply 1 of 41, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jakodemus wrote:

Does anyone know is there a modern atx-case where you can mount an full size AT motherboard? I read that some Coolermaster cases should have AT-mountingholes.

Please can you tell me where you read that some Coolermaster cases should have AT-mounting holes. I would like to investigate this, because I would like to do the same thing. Thanks.

Reply 2 of 41, by Jakodemus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

Please can you tell me where you read that some Coolermaster cases should have AT-mounting holes. I would like to investigate this, because I would like to do the same thing. Thanks.

It was somewhere in this forum. Can't remember the exact thread.

Reply 4 of 41, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you do fine something like that. Please let us all know. I'm still trying to find an AT (or AT compatible) case here in the UK after several months.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5 of 41, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks - I had a look on ebuyer.com for a Coolermaster Centurion 5 PC case, and unfortunately that model seems to be discontinued, but they do have something called a Coolermaster Centurion 5 II. However it's probably an update on the first model, and consequently they may have removed the older style AT mounting holes.

Reply 6 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is an image of a Centurion 5:

T05-UB003.jpg

But to be honest...

Why buy such a case, when you can just drill your own holes?

Now I admit I'm not a handy man or anything like that. But this should be easy as!

And AFAIK aren't these AT board stand-offs made out of plastic? Unlike the ATX ones, which are metal and screw into the case?

You guys likely know more about the AT stuff than I do. I only have ATX stuff.

But yea, this should be very very easy!

Standoff.jpg

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2011-07-08, 13:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 41, by Jakodemus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well if the old Centurion 5 has mountholes for AT-mobo. It surely isn't big enough for full size AT.
Centurion5_series_spec.jpg

Coolermaster Elite 430 Black would be big enough for full-size AT, but there isn't even any rumours about it having correct mountholes.

Web_370-430_suppot.jpg

Reply 8 of 41, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think you can just mount an AT motherboard in an ATX case. ATX motherboards have screw in offsets that you screw the ATX motherboard down to. An AT motherboard has those plastic offset thingies that you have to fit in the keyhole shaped slots then slide over to lock in place. An ATX case wouldn't have the slots that the plastic offsets lock into.

Reply 9 of 41, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a feeling that drilling holes is more difficult than it sounds. Also, in that post that ratfink linked to above, Old Thrashbarg mentions that the CoolerMaster Centurion 5 case isn't designed to accomodate large cards, because of the 3.5" stuff in the way, to the right in the picture shown by Mau1wurf1977. (That wouldn't bother me too much, because I could cut away sections that I didn't need, but it would make a mess of the internals.)

The Coolermaster Elite 430 case looks interesting. But on their webpage, there aren't many mounting holes shown, so it probably won't accomodate an AT mobo without drilling.

Reply 10 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I've got a feeling that drilling holes is more difficult than it sounds.

Hmmm...

I can't see how it would be hard.

I mean, someone drilles this holes in the first place right?

Sure they used a machine, but a hole is a hole and drilling is drilling 😁

If I had a workbench and some tools I would love to give it a go!

Seeing these plastic standoffs are used, you don't even need to worry about threads. Just got to pick the right drill and off you go...

How are the boards fitted? Do they just rest on the plastic stand-offs or clip onto them?

Reply 11 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok here is review on the Centurion 5:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1455

inside_small.jpg

mobotray_small.jpg

No mentioning of AT

Even though it is not removable, the motherboard tray on the Centurion 5 is designed to accommodate various types of motherboards, including standard and micro ATX for factors. The manufacturer has molded letters into the metal tray to help distinguish which holes are to be utilized for each form factors. Using screw-in stand-offs, motherboards can be secured to the tray using traditional screws.

Nothing about AT in the user manual either...

Attachments

Reply 12 of 41, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But with the plastic standoffs you still need the proper shaped notches to accept them and you can't make those with a drill. The holes you need look something like O== Where the round part is where the motherboard standoff goes in and the == part is where it slides over and locks into place.

Reply 13 of 41, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I don't think you can just mount an AT motherboard in an ATX case. ATX motherboards have screw in offsets that you screw the ATX motherboard down to. An AT motherboard has those plastic offset thingies that you have to fit in the keyhole shaped slots then slide over to lock in place. An ATX case wouldn't have the slots that the plastic offsets lock into.

My Advent case takes AT or ATX motherboards and has holes in the right places, but not those 0== slots. You just use a brass screw-in stand-off and use a screw, same as with an ATX board.

The only problem I've had is the damn brass stand-offs took different screws from the ones I had, so I ended up having to remove them with pliers after it got stuck half-in half-out and the standoff just turned round and round in its hole in the case. Even managed to mess up one of the holes so the motherboards have to use a plastic standoff in one place 😜.

Reply 14 of 41, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

But with the plastic standoffs you still need the proper shaped notches to accept them and you can't make those with a drill. The holes you need look something like O== Where the round part is where the motherboard standoff goes in and the == part is where it slides over and locks into place.

Reading the post from ratfink, I assume that the coolermaster case came with "universal" stand-offs or something like that?

PS: We need more pics. No idea wht O== looks like 🤣

Reply 15 of 41, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ATX motherboards have screw in offsets that you screw the ATX motherboard down to. An AT motherboard has those plastic offset thingies that you have to fit in the keyhole shaped slots then slide over to lock in place. An ATX case wouldn't have the slots that the plastic offsets lock into.

Here's a novel idea: If a case doesn't have the slots for the plastic standoffs, but it does have screw holes in the right place for metal standoffs, then don't use the plastic standoffs. An AT board can be attached with metal standoffs and screws just the same as an ATX board.

As for the Centurion 5, it was made for quite a few years and I think it evolved a bit over that time. Mine was made in 2004 (so it's probably the same as the one in the Anandtech review, though I'm not going to pull out the motherboard to check for sure). I know that it does have screw holes that match up to smaller Baby-AT boards, but I can't remember if they're labelled as such. In any case, you definitely can't fit a full-length Baby-AT board in there, and a full AT board is completely out of the question.

What you need for that is an older ATX case, from the PII/PIII era, or one that uses the same design... like this one. That one uses the same old Enlight design that dates back to 1996/97. However, keep in mind that no ATX case is going to be perfect... AT boards are 8 slot, ATX cases only have 7, so you'll lose use of the top expansion slot.

Reply 17 of 41, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:
Here's a novel idea: If a case doesn't have the slots for the plastic standoffs, but it does have screw holes in the right place […]
Show full quote

ATX motherboards have screw in offsets that you screw the ATX motherboard down to. An AT motherboard has those plastic offset thingies that you have to fit in the keyhole shaped slots then slide over to lock in place. An ATX case wouldn't have the slots that the plastic offsets lock into.

Here's a novel idea: If a case doesn't have the slots for the plastic standoffs, but it does have screw holes in the right place for metal standoffs, then don't use the plastic standoffs. An AT board can be attached with metal standoffs and screws just the same as an ATX board.

As for the Centurion 5, it was made for quite a few years and I think it evolved a bit over that time. Mine was made in 2004 (so it's probably the same as the one in the Anandtech review, though I'm not going to pull out the motherboard to check for sure). I know that it does have screw holes that match up to smaller Baby-AT boards, but I can't remember if they're labelled as such. In any case, you definitely can't fit a full-length Baby-AT board in there, and a full AT board is completely out of the question.

What you need for that is an older ATX case, from the PII/PIII era, or one that uses the same design... like this one. That one uses the same old Enlight design that dates back to 1996/97. However, keep in mind that no ATX case is going to be perfect... AT boards are 8 slot, ATX cases only have 7, so you'll lose use of the top expansion slot.

Yeah. a lot of manufacturers probably still provide those holes too if you know what to look for and pictures are furnished.

Raidmax has made some late model cases that probably still support baby at boards (with HDDS in the way). I say that as I've got one from the 2003-2004 era with twin 80mm exhaust and quad 80mm intake, and the case is almost identical in dimensions to a newer one with 120mm intake and exhaust fans (with the new one appearing a bit wider). Unless they decided to stop adding those holes, it should be okay.

Reply 18 of 41, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of manufacturers probably still provide those holes too if you know what to look for and pictures are furnished.

That's another thing... the ability to mount an AT board isn't a big selling feature these days, so even cases that do have the mounting holes might not mention it in the specs.

@RG100, I forgot to mention, I have one of those cases. And it is pretty nice. It's almost the same as the famous 7237, but with a different faceplate, an additional vent in the side panel, and toolless 5.25" drive bays rather than the old mounting rails. I know with complete certainty that it'll take a full-length Baby-AT board because I just mounted one to make sure... and it looks like it has the correct mount points for a full AT board as well, though I don't have such a board so I can't verify that.

Reply 19 of 41, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

A lot of manufacturers probably still provide those holes too if you know what to look for and pictures are furnished.

That's another thing... the ability to mount an AT board isn't a big selling feature these days, so even cases that do have the mounting holes might not mention it in the specs.

@RG100, I forgot to mention, I have one of those cases. And it is pretty nice. It's almost the same as the famous 7237, but with a different faceplate, an additional vent in the side panel, and toolless 5.25" drive bays rather than the old mounting rails. I know with complete certainty that it'll take a full-length Baby-AT board because I just mounted one to make sure... and it looks like it has the correct mount points for a full AT board as well, though I don't have such a board so I can't verify that.

My 7237 fits a baby at board too, but alas, the mounts on the far right side of the board (near the cpu) don't seem to line up quite right. I use plastic standoffs for that last little bit, otherwise it's perfect. I wish I had a full AT board to test too 😀.