VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to know whats a good speed for an 286 computer..

Iam already been busy with a 386 computer that runs on 40 mhz.. I think that will be 20mhz or so if i using the turbo button..

The 286 computer i will build later on, that doesnt need to get to speedy, but it also doesnt need to get it to slow(dont like the stuttering). Whats a decent speed for an 286 computer. I don`t want to have an speedy 286.. because i want to use that computer for the games that also runs on XT.. and are to fast for the 386 one.

I think 16mhz is to speedy for my custom build. Is 10Mhz the way to do?

Reply 1 of 3, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 10mhz and a 12mhz 286 board. There is a big jump in performance from either to the 386. No real difference between the two 286s.

These things are so hard to come by now, just take what you can get. I'd wager that any games that are too fast on a 286 will be regardless of the clockspeed, and lots of 286 boards have turbo anyway.

Reply 2 of 3, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you know on which cpu the game `tapper` will good run on, without it going to fast?
And for the game elevator..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 3, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robin4 wrote:

Do you know on which cpu the game `tapper` will good run on, without it going to fast?

Tapper is from '83 - 80286-based PCs didn't exist yet, so a good target machine would be XT-class (8088, 4.77MHz with turbo off).
as far as I remember, most XT-era games ran way too fast on ATs (no matter which clock speed). Unless they timed themselves using some other way than cpu cycles, but that was the exception, not the rule.