VOGONS

First post, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there, I was wondering if you guys could help me with Ethernet on Windows 95. I have an Ethernet card installed, the drivers seem to be working, but I can't seem to be able to connect to the LAN. The cable is confirmed working in its current configuration.

Here's what winipcfg says:

IMAG0745.jpg

Basically the cable is connected to an Airport Extreme which should simply give an IP address to anything connecting to it. It works with all other machines I've used. Maybe it uses some sort of newer protocol that the drivers do not support?

Reply 4 of 5, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Realtek 8139 that had the same issue. I'd plug it right into my ethernet switch and it would never get an IP address even though every other machine could. Tried it in a few different computers, a few different OSes, and it turned out the card was dead. Very frustrating.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 5 of 5, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have the IP address manually inserted - DHCP should work under W95, I'm gonna test it at home today, maybe if the time allows me. Anyways it definitely works with chips like 8139D when using a static IP ( Also the other computers must use static IP !!! ) and make sure you have your local computers under the same domain name. I copy a lot of huge games via LAN to my 486 units (comfy), never to come back to CDs 😀.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic