VOGONS

First post, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Making small article about 1st gen 3D cards (not in english sorry) and want to have there also image quality screenshots from any game. Cards will be tested in Forsaken and Turok demo, but in forsaken is almost impossible to take same screenshots with different cards (fast action, tunel like game and most effects shows when firing) and in Turok cant find waterfall scene from tomshardware review, game have stupid checkpoint save system and is impossible slow with mystique cards at 640x480 - so cant go half level to place to take screenshot.

Dont talk about GLQuake or Unreal - both games wont run on most cards. Need something with D3D and Glide supporting also 4MB cards. Tried also Croc, but seems to me like game is not using much effects.

Taking screenshots with Hypersnap.
List of cards i wanna test....

3Dfx Voodoo 1 - 6MB EDO, PCI, Canopus Pure3D
3Dfx Voodoo Rush - 6MB EDO, PCI, A-Trend VD110P
3Dlabs Permedia 1 - 4MB SGRAM, PCI, PowerColor C3000
3Dlabs Permedia 2 - 4MB SGRAM, PCI, Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme
3Dlabs Permedia 2 - 8MB SGRAM, AGP 1x, ELSA GLoria Synergy
3Dlabs Permedia 2V - 4MB SGRAM, AGP 1x
ATI 3D Rage II+ DVD - 4MB EDO, PCI
ATI 3D Rage PRO PCI - 4MB SGRAM, PCI
ATI 3D Rage PRO AGP 2X - 8MB SGRAM, AGP 2x
Cirrus Logic Laguna3D - 4MB RDRAM, AGP 1x
Chromatic Mpact 2 - 4MB RDRAM, AGP 1x, STB Nitro DVD
Matrox Mystique - 4MB SGRAM, PCI
Matrox Mystique 220 - 4MB SGRAM, PCI
Number Nine Revolution 3D - 4MB SGRAM, PCI
nVIDIA Riva 128 - 4MB SGRAM, AGP 1x, STB Velocity 128
Rendition Vérité V2100 - 4MB SGRAM, PCI, Diamond Stealth II S220
Rendition Vérité V2200 - 8MB SGRAM, PCI, Axle
Rendition Vérité V2200 - 8MB SGRAM, AGP 1x, Super
S3 ViRGE - 4MB EDO, PCI, Diamond Stealth 3D 2000
S3 ViRGE/VX - 4MB VRAM, PCI, Diamond Stealth 3D 3000
S3 ViRGE/DX - 4MB EDO, PCI, Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro
S3 ViRGE/GX - 4MB SGRAM, PCI
SiS 6326AGP - 4MB SDRAM, AGP 2x
Trident 3DImage 975 - 4MB SGRAM, AGP 1x

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 1 of 10, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about 3DMark 99 or 2000? I even got my S3 ViRGE DX 4MB to run on 2000, although the image was terrible 🤣

Apart from that, maybe Test Drive 4? I played 5 a lot but that is pretty bad performance wise on older cards and only has a D3D6/Voodoo2 driver.

Btw I love the website! 😁

Last edited by RichB93 on 2011-07-18, 18:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup Turok is a good choice. Also, Shadows of the Empire (table fog) and Jedi Knight are useful DirectX 5 games.

I did already run some of those chips with Turok and SotE in the stickied 3D accelerator thread though.

(from your list)
3Dlabs Permedia 2
Cirrus Logic Laguna3D
Matrox Mystique 220
nVIDIA Riva 128
Rendition Vérité V2200
S3 ViRGE/GX

Reply 4 of 10, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Run Turok with -benchmark in order to easily access a waterfall scene.

Tried, but is there any pause in benchmark mode? It still will be not usefull since mystique freeze always when pci bus mastering is enabled and with disabled game renders about 1frame per 5 sec in 640x480 - its usable only at 320x240.

Reply 6 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about the X demo benchmark?

To be able to not only compare the speed of the different cards but also the image quality produced, you can turn on the screen […]
Show full quote

To be able to not only compare the speed of the different cards
but also the image quality produced, you can turn on the
screenshot capture option. If you have this option turned on
X will try to safe one screenshot per scene of the demo to
the directory "c:\cap". This directory has to exist for capturing
to work!

Using this feature it sounds quite easy to get a set of screens for each card. I guess you might even abort after some scenes if the screens are sufficient.
As a hint press F11 for Menu and there you can change options. It is also quite interesting for early cards as it uses destination blending as default (though can be changed to alpha blending if you prefer).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I too had stability problems with Mystique and Millennium 2. These cards were problematic in 3d but I think most people just used their 2d so it's not well known that they were troublesome. I have used Mystique 220 significantly and the 3d testing brought up forgotten memories of the problems. BTW, driver 3.77 was a preferred gaming version I recall.

If I recall correctly I had problems with virgegx in Turok as well. Even though the game officially supports them. I didn't bother to go through old drivers though.

Reply 8 of 10, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, nothing like the hair pulling experience of screen capping. I went through the same ordeal.
Technically speaking, aren't the cards you listed mostly all 3rd gen cards?

You may want to try MDK. Here I saved you the trouble. 😁
http://home.comcast.net/~bushwack/vogons/grap … s_of_97_mdk.zip

I went through 13 different chipsets of 4mb PCI cards on the Market in 1997.
All the drivers I used were the latest ones I could find dated no later then 12/97 and were from the manufacturer, except for that funky Diamond DM975.

Reply 9 of 10, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:
How about the X demo benchmark? […]
Show full quote

How about the X demo benchmark?

To be able to not only compare the speed of the different cards but also the image quality produced, you can turn on the screen […]
Show full quote

To be able to not only compare the speed of the different cards
but also the image quality produced, you can turn on the
screenshot capture option. If you have this option turned on
X will try to safe one screenshot per scene of the demo to
the directory "c:\cap". This directory has to exist for capturing
to work!

Using this feature it sounds quite easy to get a set of screens for each card. I guess you might even abort after some scenes if the screens are sufficient.
As a hint press F11 for Menu and there you can change options. It is also quite interesting for early cards as it uses destination blending as default (though can be changed to alpha blending if you prefer).

Good one, adding it to testing. But screenshots have messed colors, they look weird on mystique and voodoo 1 too. I used safe screenshot function, didnt found any other way how to enable it. But screns from hypersnap are ok. So think i do some manual shooting.