VOGONS

First post, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have three of these. 4MB AGP cards with the date code of 9802. All identical apart from one (pictured) has an ATMEL BIOS chip whereas the other two have SST chips, and also has an older V2200 dated 9749 whereas the other two are 9803. So does anyone know who made these?

v2200.jpg

Reply 2 of 9, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahh okay. Were probably part of some OEM PC's. Not sure what though. Got these all on ebay, not that I use them very often though.

Last edited by RichB93 on 2018-05-26, 11:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure your cards are 8MB instead of the usual 4MB?

I tried looking for your card, but found only 1 page so far which lists the card, but also doesn't mention a manufacturer.
When googling the exact part number I get no results.

I figured maybe SMT was the manufacturer? But so far only found indications that it actually stands for "single pass, multi texturing".

Aren't there any other letters on the PCB? I figure not, as you already mentioned the date codes.
Perhaps the graphics card's splash screen may reveal more info?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did some more searching and I think I figured it out.

The best leads indicate your cards to have been made by QDI

Check out these 2 cards and notice the version number in the top right be very similar 😉

Your card 1.0(s1.1)
A QDI card 1.0(s1.3)

And notice your part number being similar to these 2 earlier cards made by QDI:
TVGA9680 PCI/SMT
CL543XPCI/SMT

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh u sleuth, Tetrium. Ya maybe it was a quick reference design build by QDI then.

Although retro video card collector Timber has a QDI Vision AGP which looks quite different. So maybe we have some early builds here.
d6a26f51152226.gif

Reply 6 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Oh u sleuth, Tetrium. Ya maybe it was a quick reference design build by QDI then.

Although retro video card collector Timber has a QDI Vision AGP which looks quite different. So maybe we have some early builds here.

Yes, I seen that pic when I was searching the net and noticed the 2 QDI AGP cards have a seemingly unrelated PCB and at first considered the page I linked to (the one which mentions TS's card to be a QDI) to be wrong possibly, but the "SMT" part number appears only on older QDI cards and one manufacturer using several different PCB designs wasn't all that uncommon in those days. For example, just look at all the different Voodoo 3 PCB designs which were all made by STB. Even though we know why STB made several different PCB designs for the same chip (some were supposed to be used for certain OEM's and maybe STB even used some leftover PCB's to sell in the retail channel or something.
QDI might have done a similar thing. The only difference is, we don't know (yet anyway 😜).

Edit: Of course I can't give 100% absolute guarantee TS's card is made by QDI, but it's the best I could find. Took some pretty creative googling to find any info btw. I'm guessing the 2 QDI boards have different part numbers because QDI changed it's naming scheme when it released the second card?
One thing goes against this though, according to the TS his cards were made around the late 98/early 99 years while the non-SMT part number was made in 97 (according to the website, can't see the date code on it for myself).

Report spammers here!