VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Managed to pick one up for the reasonable price of $36 shipped. 😁

Also found an Ensoniq Banshee and what I believe is a GeForce SDR for $8 each shipped. I won't know what the GeForce is until it gets here and I can test it because I was only able to identify it by the Compaq part numbers the seller was using.

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-07-19, 17:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

That's reasonable? Congratulations! I failed to win an mpu401at on ebay uk, that went for £126. Mind you I only bid £30 and even that seemed too much 🤣.

Try finding a Voodoo4 for less. It doesn't happen often and I only got that price because I sniped someone 3 seconds before the end. The cheapest AGP one on ebay now is $60 shipped.

Reply 3 of 16, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I stroke a couple of amazing deals. I got a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI for free, I only had to pay for shipment. The seller told me he hadn't tested it, but I've run it through a ton of games and tests and it seems to work absolutely fine!
Also, I found a guy who sold me his Voodoo 5 AGP for a total of 20 Euro shipped!!! One of the fans is making noises, as he reports, but the card works fine otherwise 😁

Now, if only I could find an AWE 32...

Reply 4 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I stroke a couple of amazing deals. I got a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI for free, I only had to pay for shipment. The seller told me he hadn't tested it, but I've run it through a ton of games and tests and it seems to work absolutely fine!
Also, I found a guy who sold me his Voodoo 5 AGP for a total of 20 Euro shipped!!! One of the fans is making noises, as he reports, but the card works fine otherwise 😁

Now, if only I could find an AWE 32...

You should replace that fan before it fails. Those Voodoo5 cards produce a lot of heat and would probably cook in seconds.

Reply 6 of 16, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes swaaye, I'm going to copy you and probably do the same 😁:D:D
Thanks for the tip Sliderider. The Voodoo 3 3000 PCI also get a bit on the hot side, I might consider getting a Slot Fan for my case, since it AT-Like and has no fans to keep things cool 🙁. The PSU can get very very hot!

Reply 7 of 16, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So you bought that card, I think it's the same auction I was watching. I got one just before that auction for 33.xx and shipping so around $40 after shipping but seems pretty unique version of the card I got.

IIRC i'm using 50mm fans to fit perfectly on a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP using long bolts to hold it on. The bolts I'm using let me hold 2x fans and the heatsink in place. I can get pics later if requested.

My V4 gets very hot on both sides of the board but works.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 10 of 16, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

No it's just an 80mm. It fits the width of the card perfectly. The top half of the fan rests against the useless VESA connector.

Was there ever anything that used that connector? I hear rumors that older VESA cards sometimes had an edge connector which allowed them to interface with other VESA cards, but I've never even seen that done, let alone the ribbon connector.

Reply 11 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wondered what that connector was for. I was hoping it could be used as an SLi connector since VSA-100 was supposed to be able to be used in multiprocessor configurations. What is the intended use of that connector?

Reply 12 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

I wondered what that connector was for. I was hoping it could be used as an SLi connector since VSA-100 was supposed to be able to be used in multiprocessor configurations. What is the intended use of that connector?

I believe it was used by a few old TV capture cards. I know the ActionMedia II board can be connected to a standard graphics card by a feature connector cable (similar to how a V2 can be connected internally to another V2 when using SLI).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 16, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recall I had an old video capture card that used the connector. Not really any use nowadays though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Feature_Connector

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 14 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

I recall I had an old video capture card that used the connector. Not really any use nowadays though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Feature_Connector

Nope, the feature connector is about as useful as AMR/CNR 😜

I've seen tons of graphics cards with the feature connector, mostly the oldest PCI graphics cards and AGP 2x graphics cards. I suppose the feature connector went out of fashion around the time of TNT2/Voodoo 3

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 16, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry if a bit late here, but.... just noticed this!!:

...an mpu401at on ebay uk, that went for £126.

The INSANE price made me believe the item was not what I thought it was, but... sure enough, found the actual auction now, and WOW!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLAND-MPU-401AT-Ma … C-/300576810585

Anyone care to explain that price ? 😵
Probably 2 loons battling it out, but still... 🤣

Hmm, maybe now is the time I should consider selling mine.
(nah, probably better not)

Reply 16 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:
Sorry if a bit late here, but.... just noticed this!!: […]
Show full quote

Sorry if a bit late here, but.... just noticed this!!:

...an mpu401at on ebay uk, that went for £126.

The INSANE price made me believe the item was not what I thought it was, but... sure enough, found the actual auction now, and WOW!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLAND-MPU-401AT-Ma … C-/300576810585

Anyone care to explain that price ? 😵
Probably 2 loons battling it out, but still... 🤣

Hmm, maybe now is the time I should consider selling mine.
(nah, probably better not)

Roland and 8-bit. Nothing more to be said really.

Relating back to my original post in this thread, the previously mentioned GeForce 256 arrived today and it's definitely the SDR version. The seller only had partial OEM part numbers in the listing but I was able to determine the card was a GF 256 from those but I had to search the part number on the RAM chips to determine if they were SDR or DDR and they turned out to be SDR. Would have liked it to be the DDR version, but I'll settle for this one for now.