VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anybody know where i can repair an dead Yamaha DB60GX (NEC clone) daughter.

I know its stupid from me. But when the card was working i pulled of the soundcard because i thought it wasnt not the daugterboard was working..
I know its an stupid action of mine, but throw it away is a crime..

Are there maybe repair manuals for it?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it was.. If tried that dead daughterboard out, but wouldnt play ...
When putting the machine off and mounting the terratec one on, it was playing again.. So i bought an new yamaha daughterboard and that one working also..
But that dead one never came alive..

I think its maybe over volted or something..

Reply 3 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you saying:

- the db card was working but you pulled it off the soundcard while the pc was switched on and you suspect that blew it

or

- the db card never worked whilst in your possession

or

- the db card worked, then you removed it with the pc turned off, and after that the card never worked

One place to start is by visual inspection - use a magnifying glass to see if there's any physical damage, broken legs on chips etc.

Also, check the card is properly aligned. I had trouble with a few db's due to a lack of standoffs meaning they weren't always connecting fully.

Reply 4 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

- the db card was working but you pulled it off the soundcard while the pc was switched on and you suspect that blew it

If it's this, then that's bad 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 8, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the db card was working but you pulled it off the soundcard while the pc was switched on and you suspect that blew it

But is this card really screwed now, or can it be fixed?

Reply 6 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt anyone can tell you over the internet. You'll need to get someone to look at it.

If there's a component that's obviously damaged you can try finding a replacement and soldering it on. Odds are there will be damage that you can't see though.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you pulled it while the system was powered on, chances are the unit is now dead.

Rule #1 in working with computers is: Don't add/remove hardware while the system is powered on...ever! (Unless you know what you are doing)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!