VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember reading somewhere, that modern DVD drives don't have analog audio output on the backside. Thus, you cannot connect the drive to your sound card, and you won't get CD audio in pure DOS (although you can still get CD audio in Windows through software emulation).

This is bad news for games that use CD audio for their in-game music, like Archimedean Dynasty or Sandwarriors.

Worse, if I buy DVD ROM drives on ebay (for my retro rig), I cannot always see their backside to confirm whether they have analog audio output or not (depends on the photo provided by the seller). So what is my "safest best" when buying DVD drive? For example, if I buy 24x DVD drive, does it typically have analog audio output or not? Or maybe I should limit myself to 8x DVD drive and older?

Or maybe I should limit myself to CD drive for retro rigs?

Reply 2 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then where should I put the 3dfx Voodoo1, Thrustmaster ACM game card, Pentium III processor, and Yamaha SW60XG MIDI card? 🙁

And am I the only one who think that it's time for DosFreak to have a new avatar? 😜

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I think it's only the SATA drives that lack the analog outputs. I've never seen an IDE drive that didn't have them.

pianoman72 wrote:

For your retro rig, I would limit myself to just having a CD-Rom drive. Very few games used a DVD drive back then, and even then, those came in CD-ROM versions as well.

I see. Thanks folks!

Well, the only DVD-based retro games I can't think of is Wing Commander IV, but I believe there is also a CD version for that one.

Reply 6 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember seeing an ISO mount program for MS-DOS but I don't know if it does cue/bin or not.

http://adoxa.110mb.com/shsucdx/index.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

I remember seeing an ISO mount program for MS-DOS but I don't know if it does cue/bin or not.

Very interesting. Always love CD image mount program. Using images prolongs the age of your drive, especially with those fragile laptop drive.

I wonder if it support CD audio in DOS though... Need time to try it out.

Just a note though: most games that uses CD audio, like Vangers and Test Drive 5, always look for the first letter of your CD ROM drives for CDA track. For example, you have three CD drives: E:, F:, and G:. The CD audio only works when you put the CD on drive E:.

Reply 8 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Very interesting. Always love CD image mount program. Using images prolongs the age of your drive, especially with those fragile […]
Show full quote
DosFreak wrote:

Very interesting. Always love CD image mount program. Using images prolongs the age of your drive, especially with those fragile laptop drive.

Just a note though: most games that uses CD audio, like Vangers and Test Drive 5, always look for the first letter of your CD ROM drives for CDA track. For example, you have three CD drives: E:, F:, and G:. The CD audio only works when you put the CD on drive E:.

But if you make ISO images of all your CD's, you have to have a place to store them which means big hard drive required and whatever wear and tear you save on your CD/DVD drive is transferred to the hard drive. It's probably cheaper to replace the optical drive when it dies than to replace the hard drive.

Reply 9 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
Very interesting. Always love CD image mount program. Using images prolongs the age of your drive, especially with those fragile […]
Show full quote
DosFreak wrote:

But if you make ISO images of all your CD's, you have to have a place to store them which means big hard drive required and whatever wear and tear you save on your CD/DVD drive is transferred to the hard drive. It's probably cheaper to replace the optical drive when it dies than to replace the hard drive.

Well, my concern is mostly for those thin DVD drive on your laptop, which tends to wear quickly. Desktop drives are generally more durable.

Reply 10 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Well, my concern is mostly for those thin DVD drive on your laptop, which tends to wear quickly. Desktop drives are generally more durable.

Laptops don't usually come with the largest of hard drives unless you pay thousands of dollars for a super high end machine that may even have multiple hard drives, but not many people can afford those.

Reply 11 of 15, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Laptops don't usually come with the largest of hard drives unless you pay thousands of dollars for a super high end machine that may even have multiple hard drives, but not many people can afford those.

Nope, I put them on external hard drive, and then plug the hard drive into the laptop when I just want to use those images --like listening to music.

Yup, I don't rip my CDs into MP3s; I "rip" them into CD images.

Reply 12 of 15, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I documented the use of shsucdx a couple of months ago (Using ISO images in DOS).

You won't get cd-audio in DOS, there's no practical way of routing the audio tracks to any output device. Other than that, it works great for the majority of cd-rom based games (eg those that always require a disc in the drive).

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 13 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Question.

Did the front headphone out disappear around the same time when the rear analogue port got dropped?

That might be another option...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 15, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Question.

Did the front headphone out disappear around the same time when the rear analogue port got dropped?

That might be another option...

I thought the front headphone went out much earlier then the rear analogue audiocable port.
I'll go check and edit this post in a few minutes or so

Edit: I checked my stash of optical drives and the front headphone port started to disappear around 2002/2003 or so. Most CD burners still have the port while most DVD drives don't.

Edit2: Actually, I never even noticed the back audio port missing in any drive. Though otoh, I haven't even gotten into the sata optical drive world yet, all of mine are IDE 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!