Pentium 1 Vs. Pentium MMX Question

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Somebody needs to get one of those babies hosting some sort of retro web site appreciating old junk. 😉

Unfortunately, finding one complete in it's original case is very hard. It's like one of those ALR machines, you're pretty much reduced to buying parts one at a time and assembling them yourself.

Reply 22 of 25, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shspvr wrote:

You do know that AMERICAN MEGATRENDS TITAN-2 only has 3 CPU option 90, 120 and 150Mhz and all depend on the Board Rev you end up with and there is no 100, 133 nor 166 support so there for 200 MMX Overdrive will not work on that board that you have get the 180 MMX Overdrive that if you get D, E Rev Board and I wish you best of luck.
You know your better off dealing with Pentium Pro or even Pentium 2, 3 Dual CPU setup.

I'm aware of the limited CPU support, I'm somewhat banking on there being BIOS updates for newer processors, but I'm prepared to fall back on some 150s if need be. Also I like a good challenge 😀

swaaye wrote:

I want to see some multiprocessor 386 or 486s, personally. 😁

That Compaq SystemPro everyone is talking about is all kinds of win

Asysmetric Multiprocessing? 486 and 386 CPUs cooperating?!? Do want 😁

It does have a rather major problem though... the only compatible OS is a version of NT 3.51 with it's own unique HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).

Reply 23 of 25, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

speaking for server boards, I have a dual ppro board sitting here... it "worked" but was flaky as hell, so i never bothered with it... was free of course 😀
maybe bad caps? dunno, haven't really cared 🤣

Reply 24 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dant wrote:

I seem to be able to find non-MMX 200s for less than $10 each, slightly more reasonable than those overdrives I found

In that case I would just get the non-MMX 200s!

The POD might be faster, but I can't imagine it would be THAT much.

Reply 25 of 25, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Dant wrote:

I seem to be able to find non-MMX 200s for less than $10 each, slightly more reasonable than those overdrives I found

In that case I would just get the non-MMX 200s!

The POD might be faster, but I can't imagine it would be THAT much.

It made a world diff with MMX EXE