VOGONS

Pentium 1 Vs. Pentium MMX Question

Topic actions

First post, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been considering making a Socket7/5 era build for a while now.

I've been eyeing this board (http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-MEGATRENDS-TITAN … =item27bad4a4d6) because I strangely like the fact that's extended AT (which I can find a case for, those of you who read the "Things You Will Never Have, But Want Too" Thread will remember) but, it's Dual Socket 5, not Socket 7. Meaning I'm limited to non-mmx chips or rare and overpriced MMX overdrives.

So, my main question is, setting aside the added MMX instructions. is there any notable clock-for-clock performance advantage over the standard socket 5 Pentiums? Would a 200 MHZ P5 be about the same or better than a 180mhz MMX Overdrive?

Reply 1 of 25, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, there is a fairly significant performance advantage to the MMX chips. A 166mhz MMX chip would match and sometimes even slightly exceed a 200mhz P54.

It wasn't the MMX part that made the difference... it was mainly due to the fact that the MMX chips had twice the L1 cache as the 'classic' Pentiums. The MMX instructions did give an additional boost in software that supported them, but such software didn't really become common until the PII era, so for mid-'90s games and such it's not really a big deal.

Reply 2 of 25, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright then, thanks for the info!

I've been looking around for mmx overdrives, although the only ones I can find are on ebay for $100 a pop. Just a bit overpriced.

I've heard that Powerleap apparently make some voltage adapters that fit between the socket and CPU and gave the second voltage the Socket 7 processors needed... Although, I can't seem to find one, nor can I guarantee that the BIOS would properly recognize a non-overdrive MMX.

Reply 4 of 25, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shspvr wrote:

Why in world would want a Server Motherboard and do know you need a custom server power supply for it.

Because, it's made of win.

Why would I need a custom PSU? It appears to have a standard AT power connector.

Reply 5 of 25, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dant wrote:
shspvr wrote:

Why in world would want a Server Motherboard and do know you need a custom server power supply for it.

Because, it's made of win.

Why would I need a custom PSU? It appears to have a standard AT power connector.

That motherboard has P8/P9 AT connectors plus P10 auxiliary power connector

If can't get old one for it try here http://www.power-on.com/connectors-adapters.html
This need a min 250 watt or better powersupply
You need min +3.3V@15A, +5V@15A +12V@5A this bear min
I say get at min with +3.3V@20A, +5V@20A +12V@15A as a bear min the more Amps the better of you are

Just one other thing the Extended Industry Standard Architecture (EISA) Slot if I recall rigth they may not work under Win9x OS nor will Dual CPU so you pettey much have go with WinNT

Reply 6 of 25, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thx for the info and the link to the adapter. I had no intention of going <500W on the PSU.

Last I checked EISA worked fine (The only EISA expansion card I intended to use is a NIC anyway) Dual CPUs will work under Win9x, it will only initialize one CPU though. Planned on dual booting Win95/NT4

Reply 7 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dant wrote:

Alright then, thanks for the info!

I've been looking around for mmx overdrives, although the only ones I can find are on ebay for $100 a pop. Just a bit overpriced.

I've heard that Powerleap apparently make some voltage adapters that fit between the socket and CPU and gave the second voltage the Socket 7 processors needed... Although, I can't seem to find one, nor can I guarantee that the BIOS would properly recognize a non-overdrive MMX.

That's BADLY overpriced! I got a couple Overdrives @ 200 Mhz as part of a group buy for WAY cheaper, and those were NOS.

And yup, the MMX chip was also faster because of it's double L1 cache.

And I do hope you find a case for it, or you'd be limited to EISA cards 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Always have to chuckle when people build retro systems and look for FAST components 🤣

IMO slow is king in ths case. Just go with what's available, compatible and affordable. If you need performance, just move onto the next thing (Pentium 2, 3 or 4).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doh, CTRL + C instead of c == ouch.

Anyway, I always try to use optimal components instead of the fastest, like the K6-III/400 + single V2 instead of a K6+ @ 600Mhz + GF4Ti 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 25, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Always have to chuckle when people build retro systems and look for FAST components

I'd say "fast" is a bit relative, here. I mean, if you were actually looking for fast components, you'd be building a new system, not an old one. Even a top-of-the-line dual Pentium system is going to be slower than a middle-range PIII. And yet, some people like playing with PIIIs, too. One of the most fun parts of 'retro' hardware, to me anyway, is the fact that you can get to play with all the cool shit you didn't know about or couldn't afford when it was new.

Reply 12 of 25, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

One of the most fun parts of 'retro' hardware, to me anyway, is the fact that you can get to play with all the cool shit you didn't know about or couldn't afford when it was new.

Isn't that more or less the entire mission statement of this section of Vogons?

Tetrium wrote:

That's BADLY overpriced! I got a couple Overdrives @ 200 Mhz as part of a group buy for WAY cheaper, and those were NOS.

And yup, the MMX chip was also faster because of it's double L1 cache.

And I do hope you find a case for it, or you'd be limited to EISA cards 😵

Yeah I know, sarcasm doesn't work well on the internet. 🤣

As for the Case...http://cgi.ebay.com/10-BAY-FULL-TOWER-SERVER- … =item51939ec0fd

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Always have to chuckle when people build retro systems and look for FAST components 🤣

IMO slow is king in ths case. Just go with what's available, compatible and affordable. If you need performance, just move onto the next thing (Pentium 2, 3 or 4).

Tetrium wrote:

Doh, CTRL + C instead of c == ouch.

Anyway, I always try to use optimal components instead of the fastest, like the K6-III/400 + single V2 instead of a K6+ @ 600Mhz + GF4Ti 😉

Well you see... The ONLY other retro rig I have is a Dual 1GHZ P3 system with an Voodoo Rush GPU, an ASUS P2B-D motherboard and an AWE32 sound card. 😒

EDIT: Well I take that back I do have a Fujitsu Lifebook 535tx laptop with a Pentium MMX 133. But I really don't like it's intergrated ESS audio setup; I didn't think it was possible for a Sound Blaster-16 clone to sound that little like a Sound Blaster-16! 😖

Reply 13 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gotcha...

You seem to like your dual socket boards 🤣

In terms of non MMX, the 133 and 166 should be very easy / cheap to find. The 200 are harder to find, because they cost a fortune back in the day (like double the price of the 166) and by that stage Intel was pushing MMX already.

I guess most 200 ended up in OEM boxes and things like that. Would be interesting to see how much faster the MMX POD is compared to the 200...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 25, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes sir, I DO love my dual socket boards... dual booting 98SE and Win2000 Pro on that P3... 😁

I seem to be able to find non-MMX 200s for less than $10 each, slightly more reasonable than those overdrives I found. 🤣

Assuming I can get my hands on a MMX Overdrive and I go through with this build I'd be more than happy to post a thread doing a performance comparison.

Reply 15 of 25, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You do know that AMERICAN MEGATRENDS TITAN-2 only has 3 CPU option 90, 120 and 150Mhz and all depend on the Board Rev you end up with and there is no 100, 133 nor 166 support so there for 200 MMX Overdrive will not work on that board that you have get the 180 MMX Overdrive that if you get D, E Rev Board and I wish you best of luck.
You know your better off dealing with Pentium Pro or even Pentium 2, 3 Dual CPU setup.

Reply 17 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I want to see some multiprocessor 386 or 486s, personally. 😁

Compaq SystemPro. It's one of my Holy Grails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Compaq_Syst … rd_100_2424.jpg

Not only could you have more than one 386 or 486, you could mix 386 and 486 processors.

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-07-23, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 25, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dant wrote:

I admit wiping drool off my chin.

Does Vogons have a 'jaw-dropping tower' thread?

And dare I ask what configuration could use all those cutouts? I mean, /five/ DE-9, for petesakes.