windows XP on Atlon XP 2400+

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Whatever. It wasn't one machine, I had similar results on Pentium 3 machines, I just gave an example of a relatively "fast" machine.
My opinion on SP3 remains the same, it was quite a bit slower than SP2.
In the end, anybody can install whatever they like, I was voicing an opinion, only to have people jump at me. Jeez.

If you slipstream SP3 onto a SP2 install disk, the differences (installing SP3 from the 300+MB file does result in some extra clutter) between SP3 and SP2 should be reduced significantly. Personally I haven't noticed any slowdowns between the 2 SP's. SP3 is basically an updated SP2. Slipstreaming removes the outdated SP2 files with the newer SP3 ones, resulting in a slimmer install.

Give it a try 😉

Btw, I use NLite for that. You can even slipstream post-SP3 updates and stuff like SATA drivers and such, with a little more hassle.
What I also did once is creat an install disk which would do -everything- automatically.
You start the install, leave it for an hour or so and when you come back, VOILA! Desktop 😁

Only problem is, you'll install with the same key also, so it might be a good idea to change the key used, but for testing purposes it's a very nifty solution 😉

XP should install faster if you burn your image on DVD instead of CD btw.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!