VOGONS

Networking in DOS and Windows 3.1

Topic actions

First post, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying to get a network working in DOS and Windows 3.1 on my Compaq Deskpro EP 6400. It works in Windows 98 but I don't like having to be in Windows 98 in order to access the network. According to Windows 98, I have a "Linksys EtherFast Integrated 10/100 CardBus PC Card(PCM200)" NIC. I'm trying to use Microsoft Network Client for MS-DOS version 3.0 in DOS. I tried a few of the drivers, but none of them worked. I noticed that they're all likely to be ISA NICs. Are there any PCI NICs that work in DOS and Windows 3.1? Or do I have to switch to ISA? (not that I mind ISA 😀, also, I have a diagnostic program called Diags 95, which doesn't detect my network card)

There's also another computer I'm trying (and failing, I assume for the same reasons) to get networked in DOS, and it has a SMC PCI NIC (can't remember the model off the top of my head).

Thanks

Reply 1 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What drivers are you loading?

PCI/ISA NICs shouldn't matter, as long as you have the correct drivers for them.

I have successfully got a DOS IPX network going although it was quite a while ago.
I needed an LSL.COM file, a packet driver for the network card and a protocol driver- IPXODI.COM
I was mainly using Realtek 8029 cards as they were cheap and easy to find.

I haven't had much experience with TCP/IP under DOS although Bart's Boot Disk is set up for this, so perhaps that would be good to look at and steal drivers etc from 😀

Reply 2 of 21, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Petty much all Realtek Chipset model work in dos the best one when it come to dos from I recall was RTL8029 or 8139 there base round the Novell NE2000 compatible thei or look for 3com
The Linksys EtherFast PCM200 has a ADMtek AN985 chipset which base on the DEC-Tulip compatible what driver are you try to used?.
Have try this
http://download.driverguide.com/driver/Linksy … ys/d311269.html
or
http://www.nodevice.com/driver/PCM200/get43675.html
Your PCI cards Bus may need drivers as well

I don't know if this will help
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/samba/dos.html
Try Google
Microsoft Network Client for MS-DOS
or
Microsoft LAN Manager Client for MS-DOS

SMC I think it to was base DEC-Tulip compatible as well
And you need rigth dos driver for them to work

Reply 4 of 21, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks

I tried using the NE2000 compatible and NE1000 compatible drivers. I then tried the DEC Ethernet (all types) driver. I didn't know whether it was NE1000 or NE2000 compatible. Then, I found this. I tried the Windows 98 driver, which worked (I now have a "AMDtek AN985 Based Fast Ethernet Adapter" (btw, has anyone noticed that my old network driver was actually for a laptop NIC? I have no idea why it worked for my PCI desktop NIC.)). I couldn't get Microsoft Network Client to recognise the DOS driver, however. I tried MS Lan Manager, but it wouldn't install (error code 2 when reading certain files).

However, I've realised there's not much point in this because I'm trying to access this computer (and the other computer) from another computer and I would like to be able to do this outside Windows 98. I assume I need some sort of server software for this?

Reply 5 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AdamP wrote:

However, I've realised there's not much point in this because I'm trying to access this computer (and the other computer) from another computer and I would like to be able to do this outside Windows 98. I assume I need some sort of server software for this?

Not really. I used to use Microsoft's DOS networking software to connect (via TCP/IP, I think) to WFWG 3.11 shares back in the day.

Are you trying to connect to shared folders on another Windows 98 computer? Have you tried the aforementioned Bart's Boot Disk?

Reply 6 of 21, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i currently use a realtek 8029 with PCIPKT.COM a realtek
8139 with RTSPKT.COM and surecom with FEAPKT.COM
which are all PCI and for ISA i use PNPPD.COM with a
UMC ne2000 clone.

i can report that all of the above work fine for me with
mTCP which includes an ftp server. setting up the ftp
server is trivial and allows file transfers in DOS.

you can also investigate WATTCP and PC/TCP which
are other TCP/IP drivers for DOS but mTCP just works.

bye

Reply 7 of 21, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks

This is what I'm trying to do:

Computer A - Windows 7 laptop

Computer B - Compaq Deskpro 6400 (Windows 98)

Computer C - Packard Bell Platinum 2030 (Windows 98SE)

I'm trying to make computers B and C accessible by computer A without having to be in Windows 98. Computer A is never connected to both computer B and C at the same time. Computer C also has a separate standalone installation of MS-DOS 7.1

I also got Microsoft Network Client to use the DOS driver. It recognises the NIC, but I get various errors and the computer freezes at netbind.com (I tried to do a picture but it was too bright).

No, I haven't tried the boot disk yet.

Reply 8 of 21, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i don't know much about ancient windows networking
however two things come to mind.

1. netbios/netbeui i don't suppose this is used any more
or if available enabled. not sure if this tool you are
trying uses this but don't ask me talk to a windows
admin.

2. lan manager auth. i get the impression that the old
method of workgroup or domain logins is no longer
supported or if supported perhaps disabled. again, talk
to a windows admin if you can find one.

you ought to really explain what it is you want to do
on these remote machines from windows 7. if it's
just accessing files then running an ftp server on the
dos machine is adequate.

if you want to remote control the remote machine then
you could locate PC/TCP and install TINY HOST. this
is much like remote desktop for dos.

bye

edit: missing word

Reply 9 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not quite getting the intent, too. If you want to access the Windows 9x computers, why the Windows 3.11 topic?
And as sklawz writes, it's important to know what your intent is. For controlling the 9x machines a VNC software should work fine without having to do much else as ling as the machines are in the network.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 21, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All I'm trying to do is make the hard drives in the Windows 98 machines accessible from the Windows 7 laptop when I'm not in Windows 98 (e.g. in DOS mode or Windows 3.1). When in Windows 98, I can just copy files (from the Windows 7 laptop to the Windows 98 machine, but not the other way around; I assume it's something to do with Windows 7's security) directly to it normally. Is there no way to do this while the machine's in DOS? How difficult would it be to set up an FTP server?

Reply 11 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ah, now I get it at least. Your problem wasn't understandable before 😀

quick google returned PCTelnet or Eznos

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 21, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you need to enable network share access between your 98 and 7 machines, you need to enable guest file sharing in 7... it is disabled by default for security reasons

to enable (in vista/ 7):
click start, type "secpol.msc" in the search box and press enter (on your keyboard)
expand the "local policies" folder, and click on the "security options" folder
find "Accounts: Guest account status", then double click on it
change the selection to "enable" and click OK
close the window

now for any folders you are sharing in vista/7, you must edit the security settings for that particular folder to have guest file sharing access... it will be under the "sharing" tab in the folder properties and inside "advanced sharing"... you must add the guest username, and the guest usergroup to allow file sharing access from a system that doesn't respect logon credentials (win95/98 )

but that's not it... win95/98 does not support NTLM2 authentication, that's why there's a hold up when you try to login to a vista/7 network share from 9x... you need to enable NTLM2 this way:
1) install DSclient http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288358/
2) add the appropriate registry key to enable NTLM2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869

you can also lower the security level in vista/7 to allow NTLM1 authentication, but it is not recommended... it can be changed through secpol.msc under local polices\security options under "network security: lan manager authentication level"... some in depth research is recommended beforehand: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823659

as for file sharing from windows 3.1, you can't do it easily... stop wasting time with it and install windows for workgroups 3.11... not only is it faster and more stable, it DOES natively support SMB file sharing (what windows NT and all newer windows uses) over the network from file manager... netbiox and IPX/SPX is only supported out of the box, but if you want TCP/IP support, you need to install winsock to allow this... MS made one that worked ONLY with NICs, not modems: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/99891 but it is fast unlike trumpet or shiva (both of which support modems)... fact is, WFW3.11 is designed for small networks, while plain ol' win3.1 isn't... so again, stop bothering with the latter

remember, without any guest file sharing enabled, you won't be able to browse from your win95/98/ME machines to an vista or newer windows... default security settings just do not allow it

understand this is all "in theory"... I have no practical knowledge of this because I don't really have anything to share between an old system and my new ones, so I don't really care 😀

the best thing to do is google!

Last edited by TheMAN on 2011-07-30, 18:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 21, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

here is an example setup to access the disk in DOS.

from linux i use the ftp command line client lftp.

from windows you would use cuteftp or similar.

example autoexec.bat section

MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((850) C:\WIN98\COMMAND\EGA.CPI)
MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=850
LH C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM /Z
LH C:\WIN98\COMMAND\DOSKEY.COM /INSERT
LH KEYB UK,,C:\WIN98\COMMAND\KEYBOARD.SYS
LH C:\DOS\PCIPKT.COM 0x60
LH C:\WIN98\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:VIACDR
PATH;
SET MTCPCFG=C:\MTCP\MTCP.CFG
SET WATTCP.CFG=C:\DOS
SET PATH=C:\MTCP;C:\WIN98\COMMAND;C:\DOS;C:\UTIL\GSPLAY;C:\SB16;C:\WBLAST2
SET MIDI=synth:1 map:e
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 D1 I5 H5 T6 P330
DIAGNOSE /s
MIXERSET /p /q

example C:\MTCP\mtcp.cfg

DHCPVER DHCP Client version Nov 27 2010
TIMESTAMP Sat Nov 27 10:50:38 2010
packetint 0x60
hostname DOSMACHINE
ftp_connect_timeout 10
ftp_tcp_buffer 16384
ftp_file_buffer 32768
FTPSRV_PASSWORD_FILE c:\mtcp\ftppass.txt
FTPSRV_LOG_FILE c:\temp\ftpsrv.log
FTPSRV_SESSION_TIMEOUT 120
FTPSRV_CONTROL_PORT 21
FTPSRV_PASV_BASE 2048
FTPSRV_PASV_PORTS 1024
FTPSRV_CLIENTS 10
IPADDR 10.10.10.10
NETMASK 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY 10.10.10.1
NAMESERVER 10.10.10.1
LEASE_TIME 86400

you would change the settings above to that
suitable for your network.

in window7 you can see your current ip address
setup in CMD.EXE by typing IPCONFIG /ALL.
I won't go into any further detail regarding this.

example c:\mtcp\ftppass.txt

myname   mpassword   [none]      [any]             all

when dos starts you would run the command
ftpsrv and leave it running. you can then access the
disk from the remote machine.

see
http://www.brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_FTPSrv.html

for more info.

bye

Reply 17 of 21, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry it took me so long to report back, but I've managed to get networking working in Windows 3.1 by upgrading to Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and using the driver I found (and TCP/IP-32), and from there on everything seemed to just work (which is how it should be 😀). However, I still can't get it working in DOS mode. I decided not to try an FTP server and do it the original way now I've got it working in Windows. I keep getting errors about NWLINK and NEMM.DOS.

Is it not supported in Windows 98 DOS?

Thanks

Reply 18 of 21, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AdamP wrote:

Sorry it took me so long to report back, but I've managed to get networking working in Windows 3.1 by upgrading to Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and using the driver I found (and TCP/IP-32), and from there on everything seemed to just work (which is how it should be 😀). However, I still can't get it working in DOS mode. I decided not to try an FTP server and do it the original way now I've got it working in Windows. I keep getting errors about NWLINK and NEMM.DOS.

Is it not supported in Windows 98 DOS?

Thanks

Are you loading the drivers in the correct order?

For IPX:

NET INIT
NWLINK
NET START
NET LOGON

For IPX + TCP/IP:

NET INIT
NWLINK
NETBIND
UMB
TCPTSR
TINYRFC
NMTSR
EMSBFR
NET START
NET LOGON

Reply 19 of 21, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is my config.sys:

[Menu]
menuitem=NoNetwork
menuitem=Network

[common]
device=C:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:off /cpuclock:off /v
dos=high,umb,auto
device=C:\windows\emm386.exe noems
devicehigh=C:\windows\setver.exe
devicehigh=C:\oak\oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
;devicehigh=C:\windows\command\ansi.sys
FILES=45
BUFFERS=30,0
STACKS=9,256
;devicehigh=C:\usbaspi.sys
;devicehigh=C:\di1000dd.sys
;device=C:\NETWORK\ifshlp.sys
LASTDRIVE=Z
;DEVICE=C:\WIN3\SMARTDRV.EXE /DOUBLE_BUFFER

[network]
DEVICE=C:\WIN3\IFSHLP.SYS

[NoNetwork]

Here is my autoexec.bat:

rem C:\WIN3\net start
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
SET MGA=C:\MGA\SETUP\
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
rem SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\BORLAND\DELPHI5\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\BORLAND\DELPHI5\PROJECTS\BPL

rem PATH=C:\WIN3;%PATH%

GOTO %config%

:Network
path=C:\win3;C:\network
rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\win3\net initialize
rem C:\NETWORK\nwlink
rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\NETWORK\netbind.com
rem C:\NETWORK\umb.com
rem C:\NETWORK\tcptsr.exe
rem C:\NETWORK\tinyrfc.exe
rem C:\NETWORK\nmtsr.exe
rem C:\NETWORK\emsbfr.exe
rem - By Windows 98 Network - C:\WIN3\net start
C:\windows\dosstart.bat

:NoNetwork

I've just noticed - Windows 98 has remmed some of the network lines. Is there any way to stop Windows 98 from doing that? Or will I have to dual boot with DOS 6.22?

Just so you know, I may be gone for another few weeks, but I will be back.

Thanks