King Kong meets Frankenstein 😳

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670383

Reply 1 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He needs to measure the power use of that thing. 😁

What a monster rig. The best use of SuperPi ever.

Interesting that it has a mix of non-identical PPros.

Reply 2 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder in as much the PPro's are able to share the same workload.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Power consumption and heat production must be really non-economical.

And the practicality of that system in current times is questionable.

But other than that, it's interesting to see what yesteryears' beasts can do.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 13, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so has no one figured out that running 2, 256k and 2, 512k and 1, 1m CPUs might be Fing with the board an slowing it down and causing OC problems? i'd try and find 6 1mb P Pros slap in some really nice gfx card use that as furniture/computer/conversation piece.

Reply 8 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so has no one figured out that running 2, 256k and 2, 512k and 1, 1m CPUs might be Fing with the board an slowing it down and causing OC problems?

Half the posters in that thread don't even seem to have a clue what the thing is, much less how to actually make it work.

Reply 9 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ALR Revolution 6x6. Move along. Nothing to see here.

What's neat about these is you can upgrade the Pentium Pros with Pentium II Overdrives. The bad thing is they aren't good games machines because any games from that time period aren't multiprocessor aware and you also need an NT based OS to recognize the additional processors. They also draw a huge amount power and generate a ton of heat relative to the actual CPU power. Any $300 dual core machine from a mass market retailer can do more with less energy. They are also extremely hard to locate in their original case which means spending a lot of time and money tracking down all the parts and then assembling them, then building a custom case to house it all in. It would end up costing you more than a new Phenom II x6 system by the time you're done.

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-08-02, 13:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 13, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An ALR 6x6, nice. The funny thing is how they made the 6 CPUs work with the 450GX chipset. Most big (>4) x86 based SMP solutions from that time were prioprietary (like the Corollary bus based IBM servers or AST Manhattan ), this one seems to be Intel MPS compliant.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 11 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

An ALR 6x6, nice. The funny thing is how they made the 6 CPUs work with the 450GX chipset. Most big (>4) x86 based SMP solutions from that time were prioprietary (like the Corollary bus based IBM servers or AST Manhattan ), this one seems to be Intel MPS compliant.

Not only that, but the Pentium Pro was only designed to do 4-way SMP. (or less)

Also, the whole point of retro / vintage computing is the fun factor. sure you can buy a "new" system that will do everything faster and cheaper, but the cool factor isnt there. Its like having a model T automobile. Its going to cost the same as a NEW car and you probably cant take it on the highway, but the looks you get driving down the street as people break their necks to see it is WELL worth the cost.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 13, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

of course games of the time will only use 1 core but, newer multi cpu oses can make use of the cores i wonder if it could run firefox or opera. i wonder i it could run flash?

Reply 13 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

web browsers and flash only hit a single core. few apps will use more than one. so a multiprocessor ppro will definitely still be a dog in most situations.

I had a dual PPro 1mb setup at 233mhz years ago and Win2k was very sluggish. I would stick to NT4 or maybe some sort of *nix. This kind of box was/is really only useful as some sort of server that can use all CPUs. Maybe some sort of database server. In any case it's not much use anymore...