VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gateway 2000 P5-120 desktop system. Has Mach64 PCI video and a Soundblaster Vibra 16S sound card.

Reply 3 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You mean you built it? Or you received/found it?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

You mean you built it? Or you received/found it?

Got it from someone.

Does anyone know what the bank of dip switches on the board does? I want to be able to put a faster CPU in and right now the FSB is 60mhz. I want to know if it can be bumped to 66mhz. Also, it's Socket 5 (3.3v only as far as I know) so which CPU's can be put in?

Reply 6 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have a manual for the motherboard? The switches are probably replacements for the good ol jumpers

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

You have a manual for the motherboard? The switches are probably replacements for the good ol jumpers

No, didn't get a manual but I think I have it worked out. I'll have to check my junk box to see if I have a 200mhz Pentium without MMX because that looks like the fastest CPU short of an MMX Overdrive that this board will take without a socket interposer and those Overdrives are damn near impossible to find and expensive. I'd rather try to find a Powerleap adapter that will take a K6-2 or K6-III chip.

Reply 8 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could help if you posted some clear pics of the motherboard. Often the settings are printed on the PCB btw, though sometimes cryptically 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess they will. Just put a nice cooler on it. It's a limited overvolt anyway.

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

I guess they will. Just put a nice cooler on it. It's a limited overvolt anyway.

Have you ever run one long term in a 3.3v single voltage motherboard for extended periods of time? I'm wondering about the long term stability overvolted and whether it will shorten the life of the chip substantially. I'd also like to avoid burning the house down if it catches fire if at all possible. 😜

I'm also considering an IDT Winchip 200 MMX upgrade. They're 3.3v single voltage but I hear the performance is pretty bad.

Reply 12 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Have you ever run one long term in a 3.3v single voltage motherboard for extended periods of time? I'm wondering about the long term stability overvolted and whether it will shorten the life of the chip substantially. I'd also like to avoid burning the house down if it catches fire if at all possible. 😜

I'm also considering an IDT Winchip 200 MMX upgrade. They're 3.3v single voltage but I hear the performance is pretty bad.

No, I haven't. I never actually completed a Socket 5 rig. But even if they shorten the lifespan of those chips, it might still take over a year, maybe 3 years, or 5(?) before the chip's life is ended. And since you can buy them in bulk atm, it's not really of importance.

But you 'could' get one of the single-rail CPU's. The 80502200's (Pentium 200 non-mmx) can be found relatively easily on for instance CPU-World.

But iirc the MMX and non-MMX chips were actually made using the same manufacturing process. I'll go look it up and see what I can find about it.

Edit:Apparently (according to the wiki 🤣) Intel did make a couple changes, it's a bit complicated.
I still think the MMX chip could handle such an overvolt. The overvolt would only be around 13% or so (according to my calculator).

Report spammers here!