VOGONS

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few days ago I received an IBM ThinkPad 600e laptop - unfortunately, the output wire and connector of its original charger are unusable until I find someone skilled enough to repair them.

In the meantime I found an "Acer by Lite-On" charger, with the same connectors as the original IBM; the only issue is that, while the IBM is labelled "16V/3.36A", this one outputs 19V/3.16A.

Is it a big deal if I use the Lite-On? Or can the laptop's internal voltage regulator(s) deal with the ~19% increase in voltage...

Reply 1 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

should be fine. just make sure the battery doesn't get too warm. all "properly designed" laptops will have a overheat sensor that will turn off the power if things get too hot.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 6, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The battery is dead anyway - I guess I'll leave it out while using the laptop (if the design allows operation with no battery installed)...

Reply 3 of 6, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it's best to match the volts and as long as it has as much or more amps your okay. having to many volts can hurt the charging and power circuitry of the laptop.

Reply 4 of 6, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, do NOT plug a 19V adapter into a 16V laptop. Some laptops may be able to handle it, but many won't.

It's usually safe to go a little bit above the rating, like a 14V adapter is usually fine with a 13.5V laptop, but a 3V difference is a pretty big jump.

Reply 5 of 6, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it turns out that the Acer power connector is not identical to IBM's - they look alike, but the central pin (the +) is thicker on the ThinkPad, so the output power connector of the charger won't plug in.

Resuming, therefore, the search for the right charger...

Reply 6 of 6, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

several companies makes aftermarket replacement chargers... belkin and apc are some of them
they come with different connectors for you to use to match up to your laptop and has selectable voltages