Rage 128 GL AIW PCI

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

$6 shipped. 😮

Going to be a good card for one of my PII machines.

KGrHqYOKigE4p90WpBONesGmgw0_12.jpg

Reply 1 of 38, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Rage 128 GL (though AGP and not an All in Wonder) and I've had nothing but performance issues with it. Can't figure out why but everything 3D performs terribly. Hell, UT99 was faster in software mode than even hardware mode at 640x480, all lowest graphics settings.

Thus, I hope that card works better for you than mine does for me!

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 2 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's nice that it's PCI 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 38, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hello guys, any knows what's the default frequency of rage128gl?
i've seen several versions of rage128gl cards, including some with fans(the fan looks nice and its powerlines are shouldered on card rather than plugged, so i believe its made by ati, while other cards with only passive heatsink), and they are all clocked at 90. but i have also heard there are cards clocked at 100, and i have come up with two possible explanations on this:
1. only early samples(those given to hardware websites for testing) are clocked at 100, and all officially released cards at 90.
2. retail cards clock at 100, while oem ones clocked at 90.
anyone got any info on this?

Reply 5 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rage128 GL is supposed to be 103/103. Rage128 VR is 90/90.

I also snagged a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI for $15 shipped. 😳 This is my third one of those to date so I'm going to set for Voodoo rigs for a while. I can't believe how many people overpay massively for these things.

Reply 6 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dang...wish I had a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI 🤣. Nice finds for your collection sliderider. You've been busy! 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 38, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I also snagged a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI for $15 shipped. 😳 This is my third one of those to date so I'm going to set for Voodoo rigs for a while. I can't believe how many people overpay massively for these things.

rage128vr is clocked at 80/60, all cards and info sources that i've seen are in agreement with that, you are probably the first one telling differently. 🤣
and do i have to repeat again? ALL rage128gl cards(several different pcb layouts) that i have tested are clocked at 90. i've read reviews reporting 100 or 103 though, that's what i am wondering about.
and yes, never fully trust that wiki sh*t. 😈

Reply 8 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
rage128vr is clocked at 80/60, all cards and info sources that i've seen are in agreement with that, you are probably the first […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

rage128vr is clocked at 80/60, all cards and info sources that i've seen are in agreement with that, you are probably the first one telling differently. 🤣
and do i have to repeat again? ALL rage128gl cards(several different pcb layouts) that i have tested are clocked at 90. i've read reviews reporting 100 or 103 though, that's what i am wondering about.

Excerpt from an Anandtech review

"AnandTech's evaluation sample featured the Rage 128VR with 8MB SDRAM with the core operating at 90MHz and the memory at 100MHz. "

Here's one clocked even higher

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Rage-32MB-128VR-PCI-2 … 1426#vi-content

Scroll down.

Chipset Manufacturer ATI
Model Rage 128VR
BusType PCI
Memory Type SDR
Memory 32MB
Memory(MHz) 143 MHz
Core Clock 125 MHz

Bit 64-Bit
VGA Port 1
Maximum Resolution 1600x1200
Compatibility Compatible with motherboards that support PCI slot

I'm actually curious how this one runs in a vintage rig since it's clocked higher than any Rage 128 card that was released back in the day. It might actually close the performance gap between the ATi and nVidia cards that existed back then.

Reply 9 of 38, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The TV-in is kind of redundant now with the availability of inexpensive devices like the EasyCap USB. And if you don't need the TV-in, surely you can get a much better 3D card that will work in whatever machine you were planning to use it with?

And you'll need a pretty fast machine to do decent video capture anyway. (I recommend VirtualVCR Matroska, if you're going to try; the Matroska container format is much more tolerant than AVI when it comes to dropped frames.)

Oh, and I hope you're getting the proprietary cable with that card.

Reply 10 of 38, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
Excerpt from an Anandtech review […]
Show full quote
noshutdown wrote:
rage128vr is clocked at 80/60, all cards and info sources that i've seen are in agreement with that, you are probably the first […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:

Excerpt from an Anandtech review

"AnandTech's evaluation sample featured the Rage 128VR with 8MB SDRAM with the core operating at 90MHz and the memory at 100MHz. "

Here's one clocked even higher

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-Rage-32MB-128VR-PCI-2 … 1426#vi-content

Scroll down.

Chipset Manufacturer ATI
Model Rage 128VR
BusType PCI
Memory Type SDR
Memory 32MB
Memory(MHz) 143 MHz
Core Clock 125 MHz

Bit 64-Bit
VGA Port 1
Maximum Resolution 1600x1200
Compatibility Compatible with motherboards that support PCI slot

I'm actually curious how this one runs in a vintage rig since it's clocked higher than any Rage 128 card that was released back in the day. It might actually close the performance gap between the ATi and nVidia cards that existed back then.

i think you are getting a bit offtopic. the aandtech article is not a rage128vr card, but a chip integrated on motherboard. i won't question whether the rage128vr CAN run at this clock, but then its not talking about the clock of a rage128 card made by ati.

and for the ebay link, i strongly suspect that its a misreport by the seller, and the card looks like a budget version of rage128pro(with 64bit width of sdram instead of 128bit). just search "rage 128 pro" again, and you can see more people reporting that card correctly.

and i refuse to believe that the old rage128gl/vr core can be clocked at 125, which is exactly equal to some versions of rage128pro cards.

Last edited by noshutdown on 2011-08-09, 17:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

The TV-in is kind of redundant now with the availability of inexpensive devices like the EasyCap USB. And if you don't need the TV-in, surely you can get a much better 3D card that will work in whatever machine you were planning to use it with?

And you'll need a pretty fast machine to do decent video capture anyway. (I recommend VirtualVCR Matroska, if you're going to try; the Matroska container format is much more tolerant than AVI when it comes to dropped frames.)

Oh, and I hope you're getting the proprietary cable with that card.

For $6 shipped you think I'm actually getting the cable? Fat chance of that. I just needed a Rage card that's all and it was cheap and different.

Reply 13 of 38, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

For $6 shipped you think I'm actually getting the cable? Fat chance of that.

But deals like these do happen. I got 3 retro computers in exchange for *GASP* 8 dead graphics cards. One included an ASUS SP3 (still untested though).

My guess is that faster clocked versions might exist, kinda like the Matrox G200. At first it was a high-end card but later it got a die shrink and was sold as a budget card, though at a higher clock then the original.
There are ample examples of that happening.

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 38, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, so you're planning to get the cable from somewhere else, or you're planning to just use the RF-in?

The tricky thing is that I seem to recall that each of the AIW cards actually used a different, incompatible cable. Monoprice.com has one of them, anyway.

Reply 16 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Ah, so you're planning to get the cable from somewhere else, or you're planning to just use the RF-in?

The tricky thing is that I seem to recall that each of the AIW cards actually used a different, incompatible cable. Monoprice.com has one of them, anyway.

Not getting a cable, I may not even use the TV tuner at all. It's just for the novelty of not getting a "normal" Rage 128 card without the TV tuner.

Reply 18 of 38, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

My guess is that faster clocked versions might exist, kinda like the Matrox G200. At first it was a high-end card but later it got a die shrink and was sold as a budget card, though at a higher clock then the original.
There are ample examples of that happening.

the rage128pro itself is almost no more than a die-shrunk rage128.
well there are actually a few other improvements, but architecture is the same, the difference is so negligible that it would be unwise to open another line for a "pure" die-shrunk rage128 as low-end, unlike the g400 and g200.
as a result, full rage128pro replaces rage128gl as the new high-end, while rage128pro with 64bit ram(using almost identical pcb to the rage128vr) replaces rage128vr as the new low-end.
since they are printed with rage128pro name, you can't say they still count as rage128gl/vr clock records.
last of all, the reviews on high clock(100/100) rage128gl cards are written before its release, not when it has moved down in the market.

Reply 19 of 38, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

My ASUS V7100 Deluxe Combo seems to have the exact same type of plug for the video-in/out - all the S-video cables I have don't fit. I've seen it referred to as an "ATI" plug. But regardless I just had to throw that out there seeing as you mentioned it.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem