VOGONS

The Ultimate Gaming Machine 1998

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mean you can get tons of AT cases for free? Where you live Laughing Out Loud

Yeah, we had a council cleanup a month or two ago and I went on a bit of a hunt around. Didn't pick up anything but I did see at least half a dozen AT minitowers. They were all pretty late model though, and many of them were quite badly corroded. Didn't really see anything that took my fancy.

I dunno, socket 7 doesn't really appeal to me that much, since they're still relatively common they don't really cut it as 'retro' for me, I consider 486 and earlier to be retro machines- of course, everyone has (and is entitled to) a differing opinion of what counts as 'retro' 😀 I still find Socket 7 machines at the local tip shop from time to time too, but I don't think I've ever managed to pick up a 486 or older from the side of the road.

During the same cleanup I dumped about 4 dead 486 motherboards after stripping them of their cache, and they didn't last an hour before someone picked them up...

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 22 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

😲 😳 That used to be the case where I live a few years ago, but now stubborn old gits seem to be holding on to them...

Hey, I'm not old!!11 😜

Btw, I've pulled some pretty good components from cases that were badly corroded 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 25, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, i dont know whats wrong with the people this summer in my city, throwing all their goodies away.

I also found two 19 inch LCD monitors on the side of the road, (Optiquest Q9)

Turns out they had busted capacitors in their power supply. I soldered in new ones and they both work like friggin new. Im gonna use them to build a dual monitor setup for my dad who want to start making video editing.

I also found a HP LaserJet 1200 , did not have time to test it yet but it looks Mint !!! Im ready to bet they threw it out because they could not find windows 7 drivers 🤣

Last month i also found a motherboard with a AMD-K6-2/500AFX
still on it. This thing is actually a bit rare, and one of the sexiest cpu imo. Just look at this beauty.

amd-k6-2_500afx.jpg

Reply 24 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually did find a computer on the side of the road today. Was lucky to spot it, I had the driver stop the car so I could jump out! 😁
Turned out to be nothing special, except that it's still complete. TNT2M64 32MB, crappy soundcard, NIC, s423 board with SDRAM (and one 256MB PC133 module) and a harddrive of around 27gigs 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 25, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Largest hd i found in the trash is 80gb, on one of those p4. Funny how its like 10 times as powerful as the (ultimate machine) in the tv show from 1998. If i could travel back in time, i could sell it for a few millions at least, i guess.