VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … utorefresh=true

The last one I saw was in 2008 and it went for $228. I'm surprised this one went as high as it did considering in the photo it looks like most of the pins are not only bent but flattened. Someone buying this as an upgrade is going to pissed after straightening over 450 pins only to have it not work. LoL! I watched it for the lulz, there was no way I was going to spend good money for it only to have it be junk when it arrived. The same seller also has a motherboard logic chip ending in a little over two days but that one looks like it's in almost as bad shape as the CPU.

Reply 1 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also saw a P2 ES 450 go for about 89!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 3, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can only imagine the amount of finely detailed and blindingly boring labor that is going to go into straightening those pins and if one of them snaps or pulls free it will all have been a waste. I don't mind spending a little money on something rare like that if there's a chance it will work but if I have to set aside a weekend for straightening hundreds of pins with a set of jewelers tools and making myself cock-eyed in the process with no guarantee that it is going to work when I'm done, then forget it. Let someone else do the tedious work, I value my time too highly for that. Once you figure in a reasonable hourly wage for the time you'll be putting into it, you'll have invested 3x what it's worth.

Tetrium wrote:

Also saw a P2 ES 450 go for about 89!

No multiplier lock, that's why. Is this the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=260821216497+

He sells on the CPU World forums.

Reply 3 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's the one, yes. I think the new owner is more a collector and didn't buy it for the free multi though. Might be interesting however to find out what it's maximum multi would be...

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!