VOGONS

First post, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a socket 3 mainboard based on the sis 496/497 that will no longer work with 3v cpus.

I bought the board and it initially worked with a cyrix 586-100 and AMD P75-133, for some reason it stopped working with those cpus but works everytime with a 486 DX33 and DX2-50 at stock and overclocked speeds.

I've tried running the default jumpers and setting for 4 & 5V cpu and they still wont work, I also tried a amd 486DX4-120 and it wont work, both the AMD chips work 100% as ive tested them on other 486 mainboards and I think its safe to assume the cyrix cpu is still fine.

Has anyone ever come across this kind of issue? I might have to live with the board running a lower spec cpu but it was'nt the intended purpose for this machine and 486 boards with 5x86 support are rare/expensive.

Any tips?

http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/ls486ec2.htm

Reply 1 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never came across this, but perhaps it's voltage regulator failed?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have come across this before, and yes, it might be a fried voltage regulator. When the VR failed on my 486 board, I got the same symptoms: 5V CPUs would work fine, but it wouldn't boot with 3.3V CPUs.

If you know on which end to grab a soldering iron, this should be relatively easy to fix.

Reply 4 of 13, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alrighty, I tried the cyrix chip again and it turned on with 5 volts, it got to the windows 98 screen then bluescreened, I switched the computer off after that experiment with fear of frying the cpu.

The system would'nt work with 3 or 4 volts.

I don't know what a voltage regulator is but I may have found it or the problem, its located next to a small heatsink, its a cylinder green in colour with 4 lines acorss it coloured Yellow, Blue(or black), brown and silver, the cylinder is about 3mm wide and about 8mm long, it has a couple of blackish scorch marks top and bottom, does this sound like a voltage regulator? Its located about 20mm from the voltage jumpers, that heatsink is about 10mm x 10mm x5mm wide.

Reply 5 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you get a photo of the thing you are describing? it sounds like something else.
This is what a voltage regulator usually looks like: http://www.societyofrobots.com/images/sbs_vol … e_regulator.JPG

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

Alrighty, I tried the cyrix chip again and it turned on with 5 volts, it got to the windows 98 screen then bluescreened, I switched the computer off after that experiment with fear of frying the cpu.

The system would'nt work with 3 or 4 volts.

I don't know what a voltage regulator is but I may have found it or the problem, its located next to a small heatsink, its a cylinder green in colour with 4 lines acorss it coloured Yellow, Blue(or black), brown and silver, the cylinder is about 3mm wide and about 8mm long, it has a couple of blackish scorch marks top and bottom, does this sound like a voltage regulator? Its located about 20mm from the voltage jumpers, that heatsink is about 10mm x 10mm x5mm wide.

What you described sounds more like a capacitor. If it is bulging and has brown crusty stuff showing, then it has started to leak.
Check for pics in google images and search for "bulging capacitors" to see if that's what your problem is

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 13, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMG_2608.jpg

That thing with the heatsink looks like the voltage regulator you linked excpet mine has a heatsink? You can see that green cylinder next to it that looks scorched, to the right is the voltage jumpers W1 & JP13, its set to 5V on W1, JP13 sets 3 & 4V

Reply 8 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The burn marks look to be caused by the heatsink (you can tell by the fins). It's possible, though not sure, that green cylinder has something to do with your issues. Btw, it looks like a giant resistor or something

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 13, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^ Yes, it appears to be a 2-3 watt-rated through-hole carbon resistor. If you're skeptical about it you can always use a multimeter to check and see if the value is consistent with the color bands (although it would work best if you desoldered it and measured it by itself - but in this case a ballpark estimate is reasonable enough as long as there's no power going through the board).

http://www.elexp.com/t_resist.htm

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 10 of 13, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

im going to be out of luck for any soldering, local repair shops charge $60 just to have look,hopefully the computer recycler can find me a 5x86 box.

# THE heatsink thing is the voltage regulator?

Reply 11 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I had the same problem with a M919 while rebuilding my junker pc. I took the easy route and switched with another M919 I had lyting around

Which is nice if you happen to have an identical, or at least functionally equivalent, motherboard lying around but some people may not have accumulated the massive piles of old computer parts that some of us here have. 😜

Reply 12 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

im going to be out of luck for any soldering, local repair shops charge $60 just to have look,hopefully the computer recycler can find me a 5x86 box.

# THE heatsink thing is the voltage regulator?

Almost, the heatsink is attached to the voltage regulator (the black thingy with 2 or 3 metal legs soldered to the motherboard) 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep voltage regulators often have heatsinks attached. It shouldnt be hard to replace, look up some s
oldering guides on the web and have a go. I'd be willing to have a crack at it; if you're going to throw it out I'll buy it off you.