VOGONS

A surprise for me

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, I don't look in other people's harddrives anymore. If everyone starts doing that, where would people like us get harddrives from? 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:
Sometimes the best surprise is a dead part :P […]
Show full quote

Sometimes the best surprise is a dead part 😜

I found a mac Performa 6400/200 in the trash last year but just recently tried to power it up. Naturally it does not show any sign of life when i press power, even though it looks absolutely pristine, barely a speck of dust inside the thing.

5 minutes ago after inspecting the suspected power supply, i found a busted resistor.

Finaly a lead 😁

With old Macs it's frequently a dead CMOS battery that causes a no boot condition. I have a shoebox full of them just in case.

Reply 22 of 29, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not even talking about data recovered after regular format ...

Im talking about a machine that still boots windows with the "my files" folder linked on the desktop.

Also recently i found a pentium 4 celeron that belonged to a travel agency, psu was dead, replaced it and the computer booted to windows. All their customers email still on it. Thousands of em... Seriously. In a freaking txt file to boot, not even on a protected database or anything.

Reply 23 of 29, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

With old Macs it's frequently a dead CMOS battery that causes a no boot condition. I have a shoebox full of them just in case.

I read elsewhere that disconnecting the cmos battery in this case will allow boot. Sounds a bit weird to me, can you confirm if this is true?

Edit: I just checked the battery, definitely dead. So i will change both battery and resistor. This mac still had surprises for me 😜

Reply 25 of 29, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed you are right, i replaced the resistor, plugged the psu to ac ( not connected to computer ) turned the switch on for a split second and heard a loud pop, now resistor is burned again, but fuse is still intact.

"Sorry this is turning of topic"

Its a shame the only other mac i have to not use same psu, i could at least test the computer.

Reply 26 of 29, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:

Im not even talking about data recovered after regular format ...

Im talking about a machine that still boots windows with the "my files" folder linked on the desktop.

I think you might have missed the first part of my message. Either that person just doesn't know how to format it or left all those interesting things on there "for the lulz."

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 27 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

Indeed you are right, i replaced the resistor, plugged the psu to ac ( not connected to computer ) turned the switch on for a split second and heard a loud pop, now resistor is burned again, but fuse is still intact.

"Sorry this is turning of topic"

Its a shame the only other mac i have to not use same psu, i could at least test the computer.

This is a good site for those Macs. I'm not sure if there's a repair guide, but at least there's good information there for if you ever do get yours running. I have a 6500/250 but I never had to have anything repaired on it.

http://www.zone6400.com/

Reply 28 of 29, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the tip, i used this site for the "taking apart" how to, i checked again but they have nothing technical about psus. Or psu repair.

I checked again and there are several busted parts in that psu.

Reply 29 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

Thanks for the tip, i used this site for the "taking apart" how to, i checked again but they have nothing technical about psus. Or psu repair.

I checked again and there are several busted parts in that psu.

Oh, yes, you definitely need help taking it apart. I won't forget the first time I had to open mine. What a mess that was.