VOGONS

scsi cards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
recoil2525 wrote:

yes i checked that .i tested the same card cable drive combo in a diferent machine worked fine i also tryed with the adaptec 29160n and that was the same im wondering if its a problem with motherboard or bios .becauce if had issues with the pc chips m919 and vlb video cards .some times it works fine and other times it wont boot but put a pci video card in and its fine. maybe its time to get a decent motherboard 😲

That one of worst mother board maker in world

Reply 21 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

M919 and VLB is bad news. I've never had any long-term success with it. Please refer to the Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison for what hardware works well with an M919. Adaptec PCI 2940U2W and a Matrox PCI G200 mate well on an M919. Caviat: All my M919 experience has been limited to board revision 3.4.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 33, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did not wanted to open a new topic, instead of let me ask my question here:

Anyone can recognize this SCSI board?

c975_1_big.jpg

It's seems to be Novell made. It has i80188 CPU, boot ROM, 50 pin internal connector, bla-bla-bla.
But nothing like an exact type-label, so I can search for the jumper options 😖
It's quite old, made in '87.

Reply 23 of 33, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DBob wrote:
I did not wanted to open a new topic, instead of let me ask my question here: […]
Show full quote

I did not wanted to open a new topic, instead of let me ask my question here:

Anyone can recognize this SCSI board?

It's seems to be Novell made. It has i80188 CPU, boot ROM, 50 pin internal connector, bla-bla-bla.
But nothing like an exact type-label, so I can search for the jumper options 😖
It's quite old, made in '87.

That not a SCSI card that a Network Card I think that was used as a Hub Management Interface

Reply 24 of 33, by DBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That not a SCSI card that a Network Card I think that was used as a Hub Management Interface

That would be sad, because I don't need a NIC. 🙁
From first look, it's absolutely an SCSI card. Has it's own bios, cpu (which according to google, was used in scsi cards), 50 pin scsi-like internal connector, etc-etc.

I will try this thing out, hopefully at today afternoon. I have to replace the blue capacitors.

Reply 25 of 33, by recoil2525

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mines a rev 3.2 board .im going to order a 2940U2W later then when that arives try again .

http://thecomputercollection.webs.com/
http://the3dfxcollection.webs.com/
http://bioshock-2-online.webs.com/

Reply 26 of 33, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DBob wrote:

From first look, it's absolutely an SCSI card. Has it's own bios, cpu (which according to google, was used in scsi cards), 50 pin scsi-like internal connector, etc-etc.

It looks to be an early Novell DCB ('disk coprocessor board'), which is a SCSI controller of sorts... but good luck getting it working. Even if you can manage to figure out how to configure it, it's early enough that it's probably limited to using certain equally ancient drives, and it may or may not even work at all with anything but specific Netware server configurations.

Reply 28 of 33, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then you never looked very hard. Novell offered entire server systems.

And a bit off topic, but could you at least try to type in complete sentences? It is really difficult to read most of your posts.

Reply 29 of 33, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was a around then but I'm pettey sure that one wasn't in Computer Store he lots of Novell stuff and at time that person was teaching me on Clone PC and even some IBM and HP model.
Sorry I never been good at writing.

Reply 30 of 33, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the Novell stuff wasn't likely to be found in the average computer store, and AFAIK, they'd pretty much gotten out of the hardware business by about 1990 or so. I think their systems were mostly comprised of off-the-shelf hardware anyway, with the exception of a few special parts, like DCBs and network cards.

Sorry I never been good at writing.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, I'm not expecting perfect grammar or anything like that... but a little bit of punctuation goes a long way toward readability. 😉

Reply 31 of 33, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a P133 running Windows 95 and DOS 6.22 but the performance is the same in both cases. My Adaptec AHA-1542CF can only get 2MB/s from my Quantum Fireball ST 4.3 no matter what I do. maybe I'm missing something but the BIOS config utility (via CTRL-A) shows that the card supports fast SCSI and transfer speeds of 5MBPS and above. It's ISA so I know that's a bottleneck but 2MB/s? That seems slow. I'm using speedsys to check this in both DOS and Windows. Windows is only slightly slower than DOS.

Anybody with an AHA-1542CF who can speak from experience about either having slow speeds or having fast speeds and knows how to get it.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 32 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I run a 1542 card with a 486SXL setup. Off the top of my head, 2-3 MB/s in Speedsys sounds about right for this controller, but I'm using a much slower system than you are.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 33 of 33, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it was no different when i had the same card in my 386. Seems not to be system limited in my case. Max linear read speed is only 2.1 MB

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer