VOGONS

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello. I have been able to resurrect an old PC someone gave me that was laying around. It is an AMD K6-2 350 with 32MB of PC-100 RAM. It had W98 installed. I reformatted it and installed just ms-dos 6.22

I have tried several games from floppies and none of them was able to output anything than PC Speaker. According to Google CT5803 is SB PCI 128. It seems it may require additional software to run under ms-dos. Or is it AdLib or SB compatible?

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's an SB PCI (and why wouldn't it be?) you'll need SBINIT.COM, I think. Creative probably has the download on their website somewhere.

It works quite nicely, but the driver requires an expanded memory manager, so you'll run into compatibility problems with a vanishingly small number of games for which alternatives are readily available.

Reply 3 of 5, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the worst sound cards I've ever used under DOS. Don't bother with it as yes, it is SoundBlaster and AdLib compatible, but there is no FM Synthesis at all on the sound card. It simulates FM Synthesis much like the older Ensoniq Soundscape and the Ensoniq AudioPCI, which the SoundBlaster PCI128 is based off of, by remapping the FM instructions to the wavetable and results in awful sound. Use a Yamaha YMF7xx sound card if you want a good PCI sound card.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 4 of 5, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SB PCI 128 is mostly used in a windows 95 /98 environment. So i do not know if there are dos drivers in dos environment.

~ At least it can do black and white~