VOGONS

Best version of Windows 95?

Topic actions

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Obiously without thinking one might say OSR2.5. Just want to hear opinions though. I only used Windows 95A way back before the switch to 98SE.

I remember someone saying that the C in Windows 95C meant for crap and since I never used it wanted to make sure it wasn't just someone trying to be funny.

Oh yeah. needs are gaming on a Pentium 1 build. For some reason or another my brain tells me that Pentium 1 was optimized for 95 kernel more so than 98's.

Did try to search but no real hits although I found a ZDnet review on the best OS's since 1990. Kinda funny that Windows ME got a score of 1 out of 10!!
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-best-and-w … rsions-ever/231

Reply 1 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win95C (OSR2.5) definitely.

Don't buy into the FUD about the IE4 desktop crap it comes with - you can abort that after first boot and keep IE3.

Windows ME's hatedom has most to do with the removal of the Command Prompt boot option and the "WHERE THE FUCK IS MY PROGRAMS WINDOWS ME WHY ARE YOU HIDING MY START MENU STUFF" despite that feature being introduced earlier in Windows 2000. Oh, and general protection errors are vague and don't even tell you what happened - just quickly shuts down instead.
That's not to say it's a bad OS - i really love that "Open with" feature. Zi- er, Compressed folders out of the box was convenient for early driver installing as well.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 41, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows ME was a fine update to Win9x, sans DOS stuff. It's just that 2k had been released and people were ecstatic about it. People then realized how shameful Win9x really was...

Can I get USB support working with Win95C? I've got a Pentium MMX 233 machine with a Voodoo 1 and I don't feel like installing Win98SE on it as well, but I'll have to if I can't get my usb flash drive working on 95. Are there any drivers like the Universal USB drivers for Win98SE, but for Win95 😜?

Reply 3 of 41, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Windows ME was a fine update to Win9x, sans DOS stuff. It's just that 2k had been released and people were ecstatic about it. People then realized how shameful Win9x really was...

Can I get USB support working with Win95C? I've got a Pentium MMX 233 machine with a Voodoo 1 and I don't feel like installing Win98SE on it as well, but I'll have to if I can't get my usb flash drive working on 95. Are there any drivers like the Universal USB drivers for Win98SE, but for Win95 😜?

OSR2.1 (B) and OSR2.5 (C) had USB Supplement patch.

Check this driver out "USBSTR95" at http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm . I just found it and says beta 1. Maybe there is something better listed as I JUST found that. 🤣

Reply 4 of 41, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally I never really cared for or even noticed the improvements introduced in later versions of Win95 when it was still relevant back in the 90's, but Win95C is the way to go if you plan to make it run on a relatively modern PC.

Reply 6 of 41, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OSR2.5 was basically IE4 + OSR2 + USB addon + new CPU support patch
OSR2.1 didn't have IE4 nor the CPU support patch, but everything else was the same... I prefer OSR2.1 myself because it is clean and free of BS

Reply 7 of 41, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even OSR 2.5's USB support was very limited compared to 98 or ME or 2000. 2.5 has that infernal Active Desktop nonsense, the only good thing about it is bug fixes for Pentium Pro and II processors. That would be a nice patch for OSR 2.1.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 8 of 41, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Check this driver out "USBSTR95" at http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm . I just found it and says beta 1. Maybe there is something better listed as I JUST found that. 🤣

Careful with that, it causes instability. My experience with it has never been too hot

Reply 10 of 41, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just ftr, you can identify the versions of 95 by looking at the timestamp.
OSR 2.1 will have April 1997 and OSR 2.5 will have November 1997.

I knew a site where it had pics but I can't seem to find it right now 🙁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 41, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMAN wrote:

OSR2.1 didn't have IE4 nor the CPU support patch, but everything else was the same... I prefer OSR2.1 myself because it is clean and free of BS

What do you mean clean and free of BS?

Reply 12 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Barry_Purplelips wrote:
TheMAN wrote:

What do you mean clean and free of BS?

Free of IE4.

Reply 15 of 41, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Made things slower when IE was integrated to 95.

This also changed the GUI, right?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Again, a reminder, YOU DON'T HAVE TO INSTALL IE4! IT IS NOT FORCED
You can have Win95C with IE3 if you just cancel the 'we gotta complete your system' dialog after you finished installing Windows.

apsosig.png
long live PCem