VOGONS

Best version of Windows 95?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 41, by Matzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As suggested I'd go for Windows 95C too, but with Plus! installed which enables desktop themes and a few more options and features that are standard in Windows 98.

It's probably a controversial opinion but I'd suggest installing IE4 for the Active Desktop then upgrading to IE 5.5. The main problem as I recall was limited memory, however it's far cheaper now than it was back at the time where it cost a fortune. I was lucky to have 16MB of memory then but now I've got an intel 486DX4 WB running with 128MB of memory, I'm still using a conventional hard drive and it's all incredibly stable. There are ATA66/100/133 PCI controllers if you want to go faster than IDE controller on the motherboard allows (or if the on-board IDE controller is non-existent) provided it has a PCI slot which some of the later boards do, which also enables the use of more modern hard drives with better technology.

I've had Windows 95C operating with USB no problem, provided the USB is built in to the motherboard. Of course I've had to install the mass storage drivers to get memory sticks working which makes life easier. I'd like to hear of anyone who has managed to get USB PCI cards working and what equipment they're using.

Reply 41 of 41, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

It's not such a great game in reality, but it's got that style that always captured my imagination, being in an alien world and left to experience it on your own, a lot like Another World.

The Oddworld series also has that style.

For me it's gotten to the point where I would want to rebuild them using different levels (thanks to a great modder it is possible now) and play it from the beginning to end.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB