VOGONS

Can I do it?

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I was wondering if I could pull this off, make a mid 2000's gaming machine for the retroness of it. I have a plain Jane vanilla white gateway tower with a pentium III 600mhz, and I have an nvidia 128mb graphics card laying around, with a sbpro waiting for something, also a 16X cdrom, could I throw all this together, load up windows 2000 and actually have something decent enough to play something like tombrader?

Reply 3 of 36, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, tell us more. What's your motherboard, and what's the proper slot it does not have? No AGP for Nvidia card, or no ISA for Sound Blaster? We'll try to recommend you something else if you give us more details.

Reply 4 of 36, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

I'm curious as to why you would want to use windows 2k for classic gaming anyway. Not really the ideal OS for that.

Because 2K will run everything XP runs but with a smaller footprint. 2K will also run on some systems that XP won't. My dual PPro 200 has 2K on it because the XP installer won't work. I can probably bypass the installer and get it to work on my system, but some slower systems will bog down too much with XP if you bypass the hardware check.

Reply 6 of 36, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But what he is saying is he wants a machine built for mid-2k gaming. The hardware he has wouldn't be ideal for mid-2k, nor would Win 2k at that point, as XP surpasses it for gaming overall. The hardware he has though would be good for a Win 98 machine. No Dos support in Win 2k too, unless you plan to use Dosbox, and there is quite a few DX 6 and prior titles, which his hardware would be good at running, that have issues running in Win 2k.

Reply 7 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The hardware would be ideas for using Windows 9x, either 98SE or ME.
Windows 2000 would run ok also but you might as well put a slipstreamed XP on there, though slipstreaming can be a bit of a hassle. Windows 2k has it's own problems though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 36, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for long reply, okay, I just want a pure windows mid 2000's gaming, you know hl2 1 tombrader, that kinda stuff, I have a pure windows98se computer for 90's games

Reply 9 of 36, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dosquest wrote:

Sorry for long reply, okay, I just want a pure windows mid 2000's gaming, you know hl2 1 tombrader, that kinda stuff, I have a pure windows98se computer for 90's games

If you mean Half Life 2, then you should prob aim for a Socket A Athlon XP 2400+ or something similar or faster cpu wise, and a decent Direct X 9 able card. 768 to 1gb of ram and a decent sound card too.

Reply 10 of 36, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if it should be mid 2000 using Win2K, then a very common setup would be
Geforce2 GTS, SB Live! 1024 or Value and 512 to 768 MB RAM, a DVD-ROM / CD Burner Combo drive and a 10 to 15 GB HDD, like the IBM DTTA or DTLA series.
You may consider pairing this with Voodoo2 SLI.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure what games you were considering though, if it has to be windows 2k then I tend to go with elianda and use a higher specced system for those. It seems a bit a waste to put a 128MB graphics card into a 600Mhz machine, I'd try getting a 1+Ghz for such a card (or a, say, 2000+-ish CPU if your graphics card is a high-end 128MB card).

I don't know what type of motherboard you have, but if it's a 815 s370, I'd try and get my hands on a 1Ghz Coppermine, those are dirt cheap these days and it's one heck of an upgrade compared to 600Mhz.

If you wish to stay at what you have, then I'd suggest either still 9x, or 2k(/XP) if you have lots of RAM laying around and really want to use 2k.

What hardware is your suggested machine btw, it would help us help you better if we know 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 36, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Because 2K will run everything XP runs but with a smaller footprint.

Ugh, we went through this before. There are definitely some things that will run under XP but not 2K, including the most recent versions of the Steam client – which means there might be some trouble getting Half-Life 2 running with all the latest patches.

Reply 13 of 36, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Ugh, we went through this before. There are definitely some things that will run under XP but not 2K, including the most recent versions of the Steam client – which means there might be some trouble getting Half-Life 2 running with all the latest patches.

For playing vintage games Steam isn't a good choice for acquiring them because of DRM. It's better to find them on unprotected floppies/CD's/DVD's. If you MUST use Steam, then you should use a newer system.

Reply 14 of 36, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
sliderider wrote:

For playing vintage games Steam isn't a good choice for acquiring them because of DRM. It's better to find them on unprotected floppies/CD's/DVD's. If you MUST use Steam, then you should use a newer system.

Half-Life 2 was pretty much the first game to require Steam. (And it made a lot of people mighty upset at the time.)

If one has an original Half-Life 2 installation disk, it's possible that whatever ancient version of the Steam client it comes with will run on Win2K and still let one connect to the Valve servers, but it seems to me that it's quite likely it would stop and insist one get the latest Steam client (even if it's incompatible with 2K).

Reply 15 of 36, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

If one has an original Half-Life 2 installation disk, it's possible that whatever ancient version of the Steam client it comes with will run on Win2K and still let one connect to the Valve servers, but it seems to me that it's quite likely it would stop and insist one get the latest Steam client (even if it's incompatible with 2K).

Latest version of Steam client running here under 2K SP4. No API wrappers.

Reply 16 of 36, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh! It must have been a temporary problem that they subsequently fixed, then. (I can't find the original new post, but this forum topic said they "officially" dropped support in August 2010.)

Reply 17 of 36, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah they did break it before but fixed it after people complained. 2000 isn't officially supported though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 36, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are there any third party Steam clients out there?

And seriously, what does Steam do under Windows XP that can't be done with 2K? How hard is it to make a client without a lot of bells and whistles that suck up system resources that just allows you to browse the games library, download the ones you want, and submit your activation codes? You shouldn't require any particular OS for that. That's like saying that you can't use the internet with IE8 anymore because IE9 is out.

Reply 19 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Are there any third party Steam clients out there?

And seriously, what does Steam do under Windows XP that can't be done with 2K? How hard is it to make a client without a lot of bells and whistles that suck up system resources that just allows you to browse the games library, download the ones you want, and submit your activation codes? You shouldn't require any particular OS for that. That's like saying that you can't use the internet with IE8 anymore because IE9 is out.

I guess it's a money thing. Nobody sane will still use 2k on a modern rig 😜 😜 😜

Report spammers here!