VOGONS

Swap meet (and craigs list) finds...

Topic actions

First post, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hit up the local swap meet and scored a few items:

3 Socket 7 boards. Got these for free...

dsc00082hw.jpg

...Which is good because they were all dead. 😵

A 286 board and what I believe is a video card that I didn't have high hopes for, but it did POST! - $1.00 (didn't have the right connector to test the card)

dsc00084uh.jpg

dsc00085nd.jpg

3 power supplies ($1 each) - The Holly has a cracked P8 connector, but good for parts/repair, atleast. The other AT works and the ATX is a 300W Antec - It will power a mobo but the fan doesn't spin. It does say that the fan is temp controlled so maybe that's why. More testing required...

dsc00086p.jpg

Finally, grabbed a desktop for $5.00. Disassembled to find a socket 8 mobo and a Pentium II 333 Overdrive proc. This POST's, as well.

dsc00087sa.jpg

Last edited by humanoid on 2011-09-23, 22:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally, grabbed a desktop for $5.00. Disassembled to find a socket 8 mobo and a Pentium II 333 Overdrive proc. This POST's, as well.

You lucky git! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 33, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

You lucky git! 😁

😁

Also forgot to mention that I grabbed a new-in-box Celeron 1.6 for $1. Really just wanted the heatsink/fan.

Reply 3 of 33, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's not a socket 8 overdrive, is it???? If it is, then you're one very lucky ^&*%!!!

edit: Re-read the post again.... You git!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And the board is standard ATX too 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 33, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

And the board is standard ATX too 😁

The board has a green jumper wire soldered on the back between a pin on a 2 pin header labeled "wavetable" and a pin on the chip immediately to the right of the battery. Wierd.

So, are the PII OD procs rare? I hadn't ever seen one before this - but that's not saying much!

Reply 8 of 33, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
humanoid wrote:
Finally, grabbed a desktop for $5.00. Disassembled to find a socket 8 mobo and a Pentium II 333 Overdrive proc. This POST's, a […]
Show full quote

dsc00087sa.jpg

$5 for a s8 with PII Overdrive.... damn, you're lucky.

Reply 9 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

wow, i never see stuff like this at my local flea market...

I got a 486 board on a flea market this year for 50 cents 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 33, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

awesome finds.

Would love to get that PA-2013 off ya and figure whats wrong with it!

Heh... Funny thing - I decided to give the board a second chance with a different power supply and it POSTs. Now I'm wondering about those other two socket 7's...

Reply 11 of 33, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This morning i drove to a sunday morning flea market. There was not much left when i arrived a 10:00 am, apparently at this place all the good stuff is gone by 7 am ...

However at one of the table i got a dusty but complete pc: amd duron 700 with a sb live!, nic and geforce 2 mx, 2x128mb pc133 20 gb hd, ( it boots right to win98, even has Diablo 2 on it) as well as a bunch of cables, keyboad mouse, a spare sound card (opti sb16 clone) and a binder full of cds, games and drivers mostly.
All this for 15$ , not too bad !

swapfind1.JPG
swapfind2.JPG

Reply 12 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The cap to the top right of the HSF looks bulged though. Might want to give it a closer look

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 33, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cap to the top right of the HSF looks bulged though. Might want to give it a closer look.

And another one at the top left corner of the CPU socket. They're probably all on their way out, though... it's pretty much a given on old Socket A boards, there just weren't very many made with good caps.

Reply 14 of 33, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, i noticed those when i bought it, there are two of em swollen caps, i test runned the pc, it crashed after 1 hour so . I'm gonna change em before i use this pc for anything serious.

edit : you guys have keen eyes 😉

Reply 15 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

yes, i noticed those when i bought it, there are two of em swollen caps, i test runned the pc, it crashed after 1 hour so . I'm gonna change em before i use this pc for anything serious.

Lol 😜

I find buying old systems is a good way to get cheap parts 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 33, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

Lol 😜

I find buying old systems is a good way to get cheap parts 😉

Haha, yes, i already switched that Geforce2 mx in another machine, i found its absence of fan and its presence of tv-out to be desirable traits.

Reply 17 of 33, by humanoid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up a load of stuff off craigslist this morning. Quite a bit of stuff I don't need. Probably a dozen old BNC-type NIC's, some old mice and some other junk. On the plus side, there were about 8 ISA video cards of varying quality, 6 ISA disk controller cards and 5 motherboards (pictured below):

From left to right - (2) 495SX socket 3 boards, a socket 7 board of completely unknown origin, FIC VA-503 socket 7, and a Tyan S1590S socket 7. None have been tested yet but I have bought stuff from this guy in the past with good results.

dsc00097kz.jpg

Both batteries are shot on the socket 3's so they'll have to be replaced. Both boards have DX2-50's.

dsc00098hs.jpg

Here's the "mystery board" Any clues?

dsc00099rj.jpg

The FIC has a 200MMX on it.

dsc00102ucc.jpg

The Tyan also has a 20MMX.

dsc00101oy.jpg

They were all in boxes except the FIC so they all appear to be in decent condition. We'll see how it goes...

Regarding the socket 3 boards; when there's only one VLB slot, what's the best card to populate it with - a disk controller or a video card?

Reply 19 of 33, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding the socket 3 boards; when there's only one VLB slot, what's the best card to populate it with - a disk controller or a video card?

If this is going to be a DOS games box, VLB video card for sure. You won't notice much benefit from the VLB disk controller under DOS while local bus video is significantly faster than ISA video.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.