First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello!

I noticed this today:

2elb6tl.jpg

I am using a 12MB Orchid Righteous 3D II voodoo2 ... tried both the latest official drivers and fastvoodoo... both show the same frame buffer amount: 2MB 😠
Wasn't this supposed to be 4MB? +8MB texture mem ?

edit: also tried the orchid driver , still 2MB framebuffer... isn't it bad luck? my other creative voodoo2/12MB has a problematic video switch, it does not show the input from the normal vga... 🤐

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:
Hello! […]
Show full quote

Hello!

I noticed this today:

2elb6tl.jpg

I am using a 12MB Orchid Righteous 3D II voodoo2 ... tried both the latest official drivers and fastvoodoo... both show the same frame buffer amount: 2MB 😠
Wasn't this supposed to be 4MB? +8MB texture mem ?

edit: also tried the orchid driver , still 2MB framebuffer... isn't it bad luck? my other creative voodoo2/12MB has a problematic video switch, it does not show the input from the normal vga... 🤐

Are you sure your board isn't from an arcade machine? There were 10mb boards installed in some of those.

Photos of both sides of the board would be helpful.

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@sliderider: I have no idea if it originates from an arcade machine, got it used...

@swaaye: a 8MB voodoo2 has 4MB framebuffer and 4MB texture mem if I am not mistaken... the 4MB framebuffer is standard IIRC

also I checked with the orchid drivers and their test program, I cannot use 800X600 , only 512x384,640x400,640x480 ...
as you can see in the pics below it looks like a normal 12MB card... I assume it developed a flaw somewhere and 2mb are just not initialized. Seems fine with naked eye though, nothing blown

2caqo8.jpg

15hzd4k.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

update:

I went on and removed some smd parts from the "2MB framebuffer" voodoo2 and fixed the output of the creative labs one... 😁
I wonder what will happen if I take ram from it and put it on a 8MB voodoo2 card that I have....

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

update:

I went on and removed some smd parts from the "2MB framebuffer" voodoo2 and fixed the output of the creative labs one... 😁
I wonder what will happen if I take ram from it and put it on a 8MB voodoo2 card that I have....

If you can do that...awesome!!

Just don't take any of that dead framebuffer RAM 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

unfortunately I took a closer look on the ramchips, I need a hot air workstation that I don't currently own 🤣
I was about to remove ram that is located next to the TMU's btw, no point in messing with the framebuffer ramchips at all ...

oh well, maybe in the future when I get a hot-air soldering station... at least the creative v2 is working fine now 😁