VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

which sound modules are worth collecting? any suggestions?
i bid a yamaha FB01 at a starting $10 last week, but it costed me over $60 to ship to china. 😳
anyway it would be a bit difficult to play old dos games with them, cause you need a midi interface(joystick) on the soundcard, and not many pci soundcards work well under dos.

Reply 2 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Modules for collecting purposes: I can't tell what modules are worth collecting, it depends on what you are interested in. But Roland CM-500 is widely considered a nice item to have (Sound Canvas + MT-32 in a single module). Very scarce and expensive, only LAPC-I could rival its insane price.

Modules for gaming purposes: you need at leat a GM/GS compatible module (Roland Sound Canvas), and a LA synthesis compatible module (Roland MT-32). If talking about Sound Canvas, the bigger is the better: SC-8850 > SC-8820 > SC-88 > SC-55mkII > SC-55 (more parts, voices, tones and drumsets). However, a newer MT-32 is not always better; some games were developed to take advantage of design flaws only present in first-gen MT-32, while other games make use of the additional effects only present in CM modules. Therefore you may need both a first-gen MT-32 and a CM-32L.

Interfaces for external modules: if you are worried about PCI soundcards compatibility in DOS, I guess you can't use ISA soundcards/interfaces. Well, don't worry because, as robertmo said, external modules do work in DosBox, either with an actual soundcard or with an USB to MIDI interface. Even an intelligent MPU-401 interface can be emulated in DosBox for games that need it. Other options that also have a collective value are true Roland interfaces (SCC-1, MPU-401/AT, etc) and MPU-401 clone interfaces (Midiman MM-401, Music Quest MQX-32, etc). Sound Blaster interfaces have debatable value due to the infamous hanging notes bug with DSP > 4.05 and < 4.16, only some very old SB16 models and AWE64 are bug free.

Reply 3 of 16, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CM-500 is very nice but it is cheaper to get mt-32 old + CM32 or CM64 as batracio said.

I got myself a CM-64, MT-32 (old), Sc55, Sc55mk2 and mu50 and a Music Quest mpu401.
There are other cool modules of course but i am happy with those as i feel they do a good cover of pc games.

Reply 4 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's right, for the price of a single CM-500, I got myself a first-gen MT-32, CM-32L, SC-55, SC-55st (cheaper version of SC-55mkII), SCC-1 and MM-401.

I have also orderer a new Roland UM-One USB to MIDI interface for 27 EUR.

Reply 6 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RichB93 wrote:

Someone should really build a module switcher, considering how simple the interface is! I would, but I have no modules so it'd be a bit pointless 😜

I even considered getting a Super MPU64 to connect all my four modules at the same time, but I discarded the idea because of the ridiculous amount of cables I would end having all around the place, and because driver support stopped at Windows XP:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/UM-4/

Reply 8 of 16, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
batracio wrote:

Just genuinly curious, what is so special about the roland model, vs the much cheaper ones I see listed on ebay ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280732620364

Reply 9 of 16, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

in general, i don't like usb-midi interfaces because it may cause signal latency problems due to the nature of usb, and the worst case maybe inconsistant delaying.
and if i have to use one, of course i would trust in those made by roland and yamaha, being professional instrument makers they know how to handle this.

Reply 10 of 16, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

btw i have a yamaha sw1000xg sound card, which has mu100 sound module onboard and also an external midi i/o connector, but can't find the converter cable for it.
i even managed to find the pin definition for that converter cable, but can't find anyone to make one for me. 🙁

Reply 11 of 16, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:
batracio wrote:

Just genuinly curious, what is so special about the roland model, vs the much cheaper ones I see listed on ebay ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280732620364

The Roland USB to MIDI interfaces are reliable. They do not have latency issues or problems transmitting sysex. They also have drivers for Win 7 64-bit. I have a UM-1X and swear by it.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 15 of 16, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RichB93 wrote:
robertmo wrote:

and how they handle no midi mapper in win7?

There is a MIDI mapper but it's hidden. You can use an app called Vista MIDI Picker to change the default MIDI out device.

I wonder why M$ adds unfeatures like that ...