VOGONS

Creative CD ROM Query

Topic actions

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I have a PC rig setup inside my Amiga 4000 via SBC. It is a PentiumMMX 233mhz. I also have a ATI Mach64, Soundblaster 16, and a 3DO Blaster. All on the ISA architecture. I have DOS and Win3.11 installed, and a Creative CD ROM attached to the 3DO Blaster. The problem i have is that upon DOS bootup, sometimes the CD ROM drive will freeze (not respond). It seem ok when i first switch the machine on but its when it looks for the CD ROM drivers that it happens (after the HIMEM sequence). When it happens the CD ROM drive draw wont even open or shut. Other times when i boot the machine up it will work ok and reads cd's fine. It just sometimes on bootup it does this and freezes (it does occasionally "unlock" itself and runs fine from there on).

I have tried cleaning the ISA card contacts, including the RAM stick. I have also changed IDE cable, but no luck there either. I am really running out of ideas on what i can do. I hope nothing is not working anymore. Has anyone got any ideas?!

Thanks for your time. 😀

Reply 1 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think it could be something to do with either normal CD's or burned ones?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3DO Blaster? That's a pretty exotic configuration you have thar. If I'm not mistaken, that works with one and only one specific model of Creative CD-ROM drive; are you sure you have the right one?

If I understand you correctly, the CD tray not opening or closing suggests that if it's not a power supply issue, the drive itself is mechanically failing. Try a different connector on the power supply, or try replacing the power supply completely.

Reply 4 of 22, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

3DO Blaster? That's a pretty exotic configuration you have thar. If I'm not mistaken, that works with one and only one specific model of Creative CD-ROM drive; are you sure you have the right one?

If I understand you correctly, the CD tray not opening or closing suggests that if it's not a power supply issue, the drive itself is mechanically failing. Try a different connector on the power supply, or try replacing the power supply completely.

Its definately the right one buddy cos when its going it works well. I am not too sure whether its a mechanical issue or not. As before it boots up DOS, the cd rom drive appears to be working fine ie it ejects and closes. But sometimes it freezes when DOS loads up the cd rom drivers. As for the power supply it is a new old stock one. It is a 300w one and slightly more powerful than the previous one. I had this trouble initially with the older power supply but somehow managed to sort it out! I could check the power connecters I guess

Reply 5 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CU_AMiGA wrote:

Its definately the right one buddy cos when its going it works well.

Except sometimes it doesn't. 😉

The other thing that might be worth checking is if the drive works when it's connected directly to an appropriate motherboard rather than to the 3DO Blaster or some other controller card.

Reply 6 of 22, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
CU_AMiGA wrote:

Its definately the right one buddy cos when its going it works well.

Except sometimes it doesn't. 😉

The other thing that might be worth checking is if the drive works when it's connected directly to an appropriate motherboard rather than to the 3DO Blaster or some other controller card.

I think creative cd rom drives only work on creative products dont they? Or would it work if I plugged it in the ide slot on the sbc? I have no spare motherboard

Reply 7 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The drive is a Matsushita CR-563, right? It uses the Panasonic/Matsushita interface. So you'd need a sound card or interface card with that and the driver to go with it.

Reply 8 of 22, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

The drive is a Matsushita CR-563, right? It uses the Panasonic/Matsushita interface. So you'd need a sound card or interface card with that and the driver to go with it.

Correct. So I can use it with either the 3do blaster or the soundblaster 16

Reply 10 of 22, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Make sure it's a SB16 with that Panasonic CD interface. There are a variety of SB16s.

yeah the one i have installed has the interface. but i didnt bother using (testing) on that as i have it connected to the 3do blaster (in order for it to be usable with the 3do).

Reply 13 of 22, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

update here. i have tried a higher powered psu and i have tried a different cd rom drive (same model). and still the same results. i have also connected the cd rom drive to the soundblaster card only and it seems to work fine (although i might test for longer). i dont know what to do here and its not looking good. the only other thing i could try is another soundblaster card.

regards

Reply 15 of 22, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i am not quite sure which version it is but heres the link to the version i got:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/60o08qxsegzsx49/cr563b.zip

i have also tried connecting a different soundcard and graphics card (to rule that out) and still same results. i might have a go at reinstalling the whole of the cd drivers software. anyone got anymore suggestions?

regards

Reply 16 of 22, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

holy shit that is ancient!
the version number is displayed when the driver loads during boot

you need to get a newer version... that driver is too old and buggy
go download SBCDW95.EXE from here:
http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/CreativeLa … om/sbcddw95.exe
it is version 4.22 and is the latest one

Reply 19 of 22, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ah! yes i ve now seen it! i tried installing it but it froze when it was "analysing" the autoexec file! i think i may need to unintsall the whole cd software lot and start again! 🤣 i guess i can do this by manually deleting old files and using the old autoexec file?! regards