VOGONS

Reply 40 of 42, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got X-Wing working no problem on my YMF724 under Windows 98(both the floppy disk edition and the Collector's CD-ROM edition). MaxWar, if you have the floppy disk edition of X-Wing, you might want to install Dvwjr's patched ADLIB_W.IMS driver as it fixes numerous bugs with the existing driver included with the game. The thread with the patched driver is here: Star Wars X-Wing (floppy version) Sound Blaster driver fix

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 41 of 42, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds and music work in the game. What happens is that if i set xwing to Sb pro, quit and save the install then open it again, the configuration has switched it to sound blaster instead of sb pro. Cannot say if this would change anything really but There are two adlib drivers.

Reply 42 of 42, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a glitch with the floppy disk edition which only seems to happen on real DOS and Windows 9x PCs, but cannot be reproduced under DOSBox(at least, I've never managed to reproduce the glitch). Just ignore it; the INSTALL program does this with every single sound card I've used with the floppy disk edition of X-Wing.

As for the two AdLib drivers, ADLIB.IMS is used only for the AdLib sound option. ADLIB_W.IMS is used for the SoundBlaster and SoundBlaster Pro sound options. The former has nothing for digital audio, just OPL2.

Still, you should use the modified ADLIB_W.IMS as even sound cards which are less prone to outputting garbage out of their FM chips on faster computers will still miss a few notes due to X-Wing sending data to the FM chip too fast(most noticeable on a SoundBlaster with CQM).

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.